Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Doing work ourselves?

We're a non-affiliated EMS agency -- we're now one for two on our AFG applications and its time to start performing! (And a past Kurt-seminar attendee - Thanks, Kurt.)

We applied for a project consisting of:
    - $16000 for a diesel exhaust extraction system
    - $7500 for renovations (cabinetry, etc.) to our garage to accommodate the exhaust extraction system
    - $1250 for a digital projector
    - $300 for a screen to go with the projector

The $16000 is pretty cut-and-dry -- we have to contract with a company to install the system and we pay them. Get multiple quotes, document how and why we choose a vendor, etc.

The $1250 & $300 is (I think) just as easy. We can purchase the actual projector and screen for a reasonable cost and use any "excess" for misc. stuff related to the projector (mounting hardware, an electrical outlet, etc.) since it is under the $5000 figure and is related I should not have to worry about it not being spelled out in every detail in the original application.

Am I right so far?

Now, for my main question... As far the cabinets, etc. go... The more work we can do ourselves the less it will cost or, alternatively, the more we can do given the same budget. How do we document costs, procurement procedures, bids/quotes, etc. for a potential audit? What do we need to know? Can we include the cost of paint since we'll patch the wall and paint where the old cabinets are coming down? Cost to dispose of old cabinets? Or is it worth just getting quotes and hiring a contractor to do all $7500 worth of work for us and paying the 5% match from our organization's funds?

The relevant paragraph from our application's narrative:
    "An additional $7,500 is requested for the modifications to our two-bay garage to accommodate the vehicle exhaust system. Large, floor-to-ceiling cabinets will need to be removed to make space for the exhaust system. Additional, new or relocated cabinetry will be needed to house the displaced items. These include backboards, linens, oxygen cylinders, and other EMS supplies and equipment."

Thanks in advance,

Apu

Quote Originally Posted by ApuFromSpfld View Post
    We're a non-affiliated EMS agency -- we're now one for two on our AFG applications and its time to start performing! (And a past Kurt-seminar attendee - Thanks, Kurt.)

We applied for a project consisting of:
    - $16000 for a diesel exhaust extraction system
    - $7500 for renovations (cabinetry, etc.) to our garage to accommodate the exhaust extraction system
    - $1250 for a digital projector
    - $300 for a screen to go with the projector

The $16000 is pretty cut-and-dry -- we have to contract with a company to install the system and we pay them. Get multiple quotes, document how and why we choose a vendor, etc.

The $1250 & $300 is (I think) just as easy. We can purchase the actual projector and screen for a reasonable cost and use any "excess" for misc. stuff related to the projector (mounting hardware, an electrical outlet, etc.) since it is under the $5000 figure and is related I should not have to worry about it not being spelled out in every detail in the original application.

Am I right so far?

Now, for my main question... As far the cabinets, etc. go... The more work we can do ourselves the less it will cost or, alternatively, the more we can do given the same budget. How do we document costs, procurement procedures, bids/quotes, etc. for a potential audit? What do we need to know? Can we include the cost of paint since we'll patch the wall and paint where the old cabinets are coming down? Cost to dispose of old cabinets? Or is it worth just getting quotes and hiring a contractor to do all $7500 worth of work for us and paying the 5% match from our organization's funds?

The relevant paragraph from our application's narrative:
    "An additional $7,500 is requested for the modifications to our two-bay garage to accommodate the vehicle exhaust system. Large, floor-to-ceiling cabinets will need to be removed to make space for the exhaust system. Additional, new or relocated cabinetry will be needed to house the displaced items. These include backboards, linens, oxygen cylinders, and other EMS supplies and equipment."

Thanks in advance,

Apu
    Paragraphs one and two are fine Apu. The easiest way to handle the rest is contract it out, pay the fee and make sure your 5% is in there. Since the money you will save is going to be very minimal, why go throught he hassle? Besides then you will have a contract, a bid and one reciept for the auditors if they show up. Remember the K.I.S.S. principle here. Dont; make more work for yourself.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

K.I.S.S. is definitely good. Just trying to stretch the dollar! We have members that are much handier than I that are willing/able to do the work if "I" can pay for the materials. (I stick to the EMS Ops stuff and the computer consulting/web stuff.)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Remember the K.I.S.S. principle here. Dont; make more work for yourself.
    The only way to go. Less likely to make mistakes or call attention to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    The only way to go. Less likely to make mistakes or call attention to yourself.
    Especially that last sentence!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information