Forum Member

Default What brand extrication tools do you run?

What brand would you recommend?
    We are currently running old heavy hearst tools and although I love their performance I think it's time for something more practical.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have two sets of Homatro. They work really well for us. The weight isn't all that bad either.

Forum Member

Mostly Amkus but we have a couple of Hamaltro's.

Forum Member

We have Holmatro. Our most recent include the DPU60 pump with the 300 series cutter, spreader and combo. Not the highest end stuff they make, but so far they have been a joy to work with. Relatively light, powerful enough for any application we have had for them. Our experience with our older Holmatro stuff made us confident this will hold up well.

Forum Member

Lukas, Probably 20 years old, heavy but still getting the job done. One huge problem though. They don't sell them in the USA anymore. Replacement parts have to be shipped from Germany. Took forever to get replacement cutters, (now keep spares on hand)

Forum Member

You don't like your old, heavy Hurst? Go out and buy some new, light Hurst.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MEAN15 View Post
    You don't like your old, heavy Hurst? Go out and buy some new, light Hurst.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by furlofmalta View Post
    What brand would you recommend?
    We are currently running old heavy hearst tools and although I love their performance I think it's time for something more practical.
    TNT High Pressure systems

MembersZone Subscriber

Is their anything besides Hurst? The new Hurst tools are a lot lighter than the older ones. We demo'd some Champions and they seemed to be decent tools.

MembersZone Subscriber

We went all Hurst last year. Good stuff. In all honesty cutter performance seems to be the area to concentrate on. Our older 32 cutters and rams did the job, but the new cutters are amazing. For Hurst / Holmatro weight debate... ask for the heavy duty holmatro 32's and compare them to the Hurst transformer with 32" arms.... same weight. I know we never even got the Holmatro guy to bring them out. Same with cutters, you are only talking about 5 or 6 lbs difference in weight. That being said, I think you wouldn't go wrong with either. We liked them both and ultimately went Hurst due to familiarity and standardization among area companies. I did find some of the sales trick amusing for the orange guys though.

Forum Member

We're getting ready to pay over $200,000.00 (not including the trade-ins) for the high pressure TNT tools. So far the most reliable and one of the lightest we've tested. That includes 10 sets of 1 dual pump(B.T-6.5), spreader(S-100-28), cutters(SLC-27), ram(TLS-50), and 3 25' hoses; and 5 sets of the 1 pump(BT-3.0), combi-tool(CC-30) and ram(TLS-50) and 3? 25' hoses.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireboss101 View Post
    Lukas, Probably 20 years old, heavy but still getting the job done. One huge problem though. They don't sell them in the USA anymore. Replacement parts have to be shipped from Germany. Took forever to get replacement cutters, (now keep spares on hand)
    We also have the Lukas tools - we are looking at replacing them this year though -

Forum Member

Thumbs up Genesis from ...............(see below)

http://www.howellrescue.com/products.htm work great.........also we bought them because 2 of our neighbors did, very handy on large scenes for interchangeablity and in case a tool poops out.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Hurst - across the board

1 "Transformer" Spreader - replaced a 20 year old Hurst spreader
    1 "MOC" cutter - replaced a 20 year old Hurst cutter
    1 Combi tool
    1 Tubular ram
    1 Box ram

1 Vehicle mounted Duo electric pump
    1 Potrable mini duo pump.

Our airbags are the old style hurst, 2216 psi style with manual regulators.

[edited for mistake]
    Last edited by Heretic; 02-09-2007 at 07:19 PM.
    "The uniform you wear was given to you. The respect that comes with it must be earned."

Heretic
    Lieutenant
    Vermont

MembersZone Subscriber

We run Genesis and I like them alot.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Hurst of course. Is there anything else ?

On our heavy recsue we carry :
    1 ML 32 spreader
    1 Maverick combo tool ( greatest tool every invented )
    1 x-tractor cutter
    1 JL 20 ram
    1 JL 30 ram
    1 T-41 telescoping ram
    2 hurst pumps - 1 duel electric and 1 single gas

plus a bunch of accessories such as various tips for the rams , ram
    extensions , etc.

Thought once about switching to Holmatro , for about 2 seconds.

ps. anyone thinking of buying the MOC or MOCII cutters , don't waste your time . We recently had a demo of the MOCII with 152,000 lb of cutting pressure. The hurst rep. brought some pieces of a
    " B " post with the high strength boron metal in it to show us how easily the MOCII would cut through it. After the demo we tried cutting the same post with our 72,000 lb x-tractor cutter. First we crushed the post with our spreaders and then tried cutting it with our
    x-tractor and it cut right through it. It didn't zip right through ,but it did the job just fine. The poor rep. didn't know whether to sh*t or wind his watch

Forum Member

New question/addition to the post...

I have always used Hurst tools where I volunteered and they were great.

I saw one thread on here referring to the new Hurst MOC (mother of all cutters). I heard this cutter is not to be reckoned with...

For those that recently got Hurst tools....did you get high pressure or the standard 5,000 psi?

The local Hurst rep wanted to push the Chief of my old squad into buying all high pressure equipment, but the standard always seemed to work well when I did it for over 8 years.

Any thoughts??

MembersZone Subscriber

Full set of Holmatro. Easier to use, lighter, easy to run and maintain too.

Our full set of Hearst has been downgraded to our "back up" tools.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Amkus, spreader, cutter, combi tool, 3 rams, two power units, 1 two-tool capable the other one tool

MembersZone Subscriber

We use TNT.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've used TNT, Hurst, Amkus (Lukus), and Holmatro. With the current technology, they all work pretty much the same. Now, I realize that there are some differences in specifications, however; if you know what you are doing they are fairly similar.

I like the Hurst spreaders because they have the largest reach (by far). TNT has the best combi-tool that I have seen. And Amkus has the handles mounted to the side. It makes the tool shorter, so it fits in tighter spaces. Amkus also has a "Speedway cutter" that is great for taking out large b and c posts in one shot.

When we were looking at tools, we contacted all of the local sales reps. They were more than willing to come out to out stations and lets us demo their tools. They gave us free stuff and some pretty great tips for using tools. I'd say try them all, and chose what's best for your needs.
    "...there isn't a firefighter in the free world who is forced to join this profession." -John Norman

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the MOC and MOC II. They really are amazing. To the one poster who mentioned the Xtractor. We had a joint drill with a company that had the Xtractor and they bought a MOC shortly after seeing what it could do. I really never played with it so I have no first hand knowlege. 5000 psi system, the local Hurst dealer didn't even want to discuss Centaur, he said they only bring that out when competing with high pressure tools.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Halligan84 View Post
    We have the MOC and MOC II. They really are amazing. To the one poster who mentioned the Xtractor. We had a joint drill with a company that had the Xtractor and they bought a MOC shortly after seeing what it could do. I really never played with it so I have no first hand knowlege. 5000 psi system, the local Hurst dealer didn't even want to discuss Centaur, he said they only bring that out when competing with high pressure tools.

What did your MOC cutter do that the other companys x-tractor couldn't do? In our district we have 2 rescues. My rescue has the x-tractor and the other rescue has the MOC. We run every MVA together. Never has there been a time where their cutter outperformed ours or was able to cut through something that our x-tractor couldn't , and yes we have come across the newer model cars with the boron metals. I'm not trying to be sarcastic , just trying to get someone elses insight.

Forum Member

I didn't see anyone mention ResQtek.We run Holmatro,have for years.Recently we tried the "green line"ResQTek tools and were favorably impressed with the performance and balance of these tools.In any position you could operate in the tool was always perfectly balanced.A major upgrade to the combi tool would(did)put this tool into my top three favorite first strike tools.Light and powerful,it made short work of three "pins"we ran with it.Well worth a look. T.C.

Forum Member

we run champion tools we purchased the entire set 5 yrs ago and love it. the light, easy to handle, and very simple. since we purchased these several area depts. have also purchased them so now we all can interchange tools for whatever is needed on the scenes.

Thread Information