Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Risk Assessment Tool

This has probably been done before, but I put together an Excel spreadsheet for doing a departmental risk assessment. It doesn't go into the detail that the RHAVE software does, which might make it more convenient (although obviously not as comprehensive) to use for some applications.

It's based loosely on a Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), which is a tool for risk assessment commonly used in the engineering field.

The uncompressed file is 12 MB because I included a bunch of screenshots on the "Instructions" sheet to make it easier to understand. If you want the file to be much smaller, just delete the "Instructions" tab after you get the hang of it. Any feedback (including "this is worthless") is appreciated. The zipped version of the file can be downloaded here:

radioetcetera.googlepages.com/riskassessment

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Andy
    Last edited by Pelican631; 08-25-2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: updated hyperlink

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican631 View Post
    This has probably been done before, but I put together an Excel spreadsheet for doing a departmental risk assessment. It doesn't go into the detail that the RHAVE software does, which might make it more convenient (although obviously not as comprehensive) to use for some applications.

It's based loosely on a Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), which is a tool for risk assessment commonly used in the engineering field.

The uncompressed file is 12 MB because I included a bunch of screenshots on the "Instructions" sheet to make it easier to understand. If you want the file to be much smaller, just delete the "Instructions" tab after you get the hang of it. Any feedback (including "this is worthless") is appreciated. The zipped version of the file can be downloaded here:

andyknitt.googlepages.com/RiskAssessmentMaster.zip

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Andy
    Interesting Andy. This toolk some work to put together. I ma going to run some scenarios with it and will get back to you on it.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Andy,

Great job on this. Alot of time and effort went into this. I played with it doing a number of scenarios with the program. Very easy to use after reading the directions. Very interesting when plugging in different variables and the outcomes.

An excellent tool for departments trying to prioritize their needs. Believe me, it's far from worthless.

Thanks for sharing it.

I play with Excell at work some and know just enough about it to appreciate the work that you put into your spreadsheet.

It is aready being put to use for my department's next AFG application risk assessment.

Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Forum Member

One of the areas that I think could use some improvement is the choices in the "Severity" category. The current choices are:

1 - No loss of life or property
    3 - Unlikely loss of life or property
    5 - Possible loss of life or property
    7 - Likely loss of life or property
    9 - Imminent loss of life or property

I think a better scale might be:

1 - No loss of life or economic impact
    3 - Unlikely loss of life/small economic impact
    5 - Possible loss of life/moderate economic impact
    7 - Likely loss of life/large economic impact
    9 - Severe loss of life or economic impact

The way it is right now, the choices don't really differentiate between large or small property loss, or between a mass casualty incident and a regular one. Minor change, but possibly important. Using the second scale would change the Severity score of a residential structure fire from a 7 (likely loss of property) to a 5 (possible loss of life/moderate economic impact).

Any thoughts on this?

Andy

Forum Member

I did the RHAVE program a while back and I must say you have created an excellent program. Its easy to lay out and it compares almost the exact same as the RHAVE module as afr as results. I will pass this around to several departments if thats OK.

Forum Member

That could be a good addition , but for the departments that have never done any type of assesment, this is pretty good. Get some input from Kurt and Brain, they probably do more grants than the rest of us combined. Earl gives good feedback and well as several more.

MembersZone Subscriber

All right, i downloaded it and i'll get our guys to go through it so the feedback is valid. I'll get a look at it in the next day or two.

earl

I downloaded it but when I unzip it, it says it isn't a valid file and won't unzip.

Any suggestions? Would you consider emailing the excel sheet only?
    Luke

Forum Member

Default Many Thanks.....

Man that is an awsome tool to develop risk assement not only for the grants, but just everyday justification of need(god I am starting to quote one of the grant guru's...if I start drinking J.D I am in big trouble )

Seriously though I just plugged in fires and crashes and it was amazing..

My only question is what about incidents that occur daily, like fire alarms and in our case auto accidents, citizen assists?

I did not see a drop down for that...dont get me wrong this is awsome.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lutan1 View Post
    I downloaded it but when I unzip it, it says it isn't a valid file and won't unzip.

Any suggestions? Would you consider emailing the excel sheet only?
    I couple people have had this problem, so I've uploaded the uncompressed spreadsheet without instructions, along with a separate PDF file with the instructions. Both are small files for quick download. You can get all of the files here:

http://radioetcetera.googlepages.com/riskassessment
    Last edited by Pelican631; 08-25-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: updated hyperlink

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181 View Post
    My only question is what about incidents that occur daily, like fire alarms and in our case auto accidents, citizen assists?

I did not see a drop down for that...
    You can change the selections in any of the dropdowns to suit your needs. To change the selections for that particular menu, just scroll to the bottom of the page and change what is under the "Likelihood" heading. For example, you might change it to be something like this:

1 - Once every ten years or less frequent
    2 - Once every five to ten years
    3 - Once ever three to five years
    4 - Once per year
    5 - Once per month
    6 - Once per week
    7 - Several per week
    8 - Once per day
    9 - More than once per day

That's just an example. My department has a very low call volume, so I scaled the choices to suit us, but you can change it as needed. The only caveat is that you need to use the same number of selections (so you can't have 15 selections instead of 9 or 9 instead of 5 where applicable), and the first character in the cell needs to be a number (that number is used to calculate the score).

Andy
    Last edited by Pelican631; 02-13-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican631 View Post
    I couple people have had this problem, so I've uploaded the uncompressed spreadsheet without instructions, along with a separate PDF file with the instructions. Both are small files for quick download. You can get all of the files here:

http://andyknitt.googlepages.com/riskassessment

Thankyou and well done!
    Luke

Thread Information