Forum Member

Default from Florida to California

ok so i live in florida and just finished my standards in may. im almost done everything and will be soon looking for a job. i would rather mover out west to south lake tahoe to work out there. is there anything special i have to do to work there. i know florida holds one of the highest standards classes but i wasnt sure about california. sorry if this is in the wrong place. thanks in advane

makes good girls go bad

If you went through everything in Fla, why would you want to move out there?
    My advise, (after LEAVING Fla), is to stay. Trust me, the EMS system is squared away, and the weather is better!
    But, if your heart is set on Cali, go for it.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I have to agree, why would you take all your stuff in Florida, and then leave. Reciprocity may work out in some places, but you'll probably still have to go back and redo everything you just did. Especially if you want a larger department. Best bet would be to stay in Florida.

But hey, if your heart is set on California, like was said, go for it. Just be ready for the possibility of having to redo everything.

Forum Member

California does not recognize out of state certs or IFSAC/Pro-Board. It may be case by case with the department if they would accept them in the application process. California prides itself with one of the highest standards in fire training.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work in the Sacramento Area and here it really wouldn't matter. Most departments are going to put you through a fire academy prior to placing you on line. So it doesn't matter if you went through a fire academy in Florida. Smaller depts. might be different and require Firefighter I.

As far as EMT goes if you have national registry you should be OK.

Sacramento area is nice and the major depts. are hiring yearly. We are about 2 hours from Tahoe. Tahoe is covered by small dept. I am not sure how much hiring they are doing. If you get away from the lake most of the area is covered by volunteers.

A lot our people live up in the foothills and mountains. So if you get a job in Sacramento, you can live up in the hills. BTW, the money is better in Sacramento.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mjteague View Post
    I work in the Sacramento Area and here it really wouldn't matter. Most departments are going to put you through a fire academy prior to placing you on line. So it doesn't matter if you went through a fire academy in Florida. Smaller depts. might be different and require Firefighter I.

As far as EMT goes if you have national registry you should be OK.

Sacramento area is nice and the major depts. are hiring yearly. We are about 2 hours from Tahoe. Tahoe is covered by small dept. I am not sure how much hiring they are doing. If you get away from the lake most of the area is covered by volunteers.

A lot our people live up in the foothills and mountains. So if you get a job in Sacramento, you can live up in the hills. BTW, the money is better in Sacramento.
    Steel on target.

Sac City and Sac Metro FDs are both very squared-away agencies, but don't forget about LAFD, LACoFD, SFFD, SDFD... there are a lot of large and highly respected FDs around here. Most of those aforementioned large agencies will also hire you as a recruit/cadet and put you through their academy, so obtaining a CSFM FF1 cert shouldn't be a problem. I know Sac City has an open continuous announcement for Firefighter Recruit over at governmentjobs.com.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Permanently Removed

Pretty much everything thats been said is true.

I cant blame you for wanting to come to Cali. We have some monster incidents out here year round. (mainly the wildland fires) Getting a code 3 strike team to respond anywhere in the state is such a rush only few can chat about here.

As for the certs, I dont think they will do much for you here. You will need to start over.

BUT- You can get a start here. If you are a Paramedic, you could work your way into a system here working for an ambulance service. Trust me, it unlocks doors. Out here, we have AMR and Rural/metro in the San Diego area.

Also- We have one of the best retirement systems in the nation.

Please hit me up in here or PM if you need more help.

Forum Member

thanks everyone, i live in florida because of my parents and wasnt sure where i wanted to move but didnt have anyone to move with and couldnt come out there and afford to live with no job and trying to find one while in school too. what about nevada like right near lake tahoe? thanks again to everyone who posted

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Cali............

Bou, knows.........

I cant blame you for wanting to come to Cali. We have some monster incidents out here year round. (mainly the wildland fires) Getting a code 3 strike team to respond anywhere in the state is such a rush only few can chat about here.
    But Bou, you're letting out our lil' secret of organization......... there are many folks here that don't like how we organize. LOL!!!!!!

Wanna know what's so great about Cali...... just try and count the colors in a California sunset...... This is coming from a fella that is tryin' to get outta California too.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thread Information