Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mid-Mount Tower vs Rear Mount Tower

My dept will be replacing our E-one 135ft aerial in 2009. Since E-One can't make another we decided we will go with a tower ladder, as of right now we are doing some research on mid-mounts Vs rear mount. We are trying to find Pros and Cons for both and just some basic input on which type we should lean towards. Therefore anything would help greatly...

Thanks,
    FF Houy

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Cool

the only type of ladder or platform truck i have even been on was a rear mount. i personally like the rear mounts. i just think they are easier to work with. but i have heard something about how mid mounts distribute the weight of the ladder and all better. idk about that myself. plus i just like the look of rear mounts.
    the city department next to us has an e-one 135 footer. they will be replacing it with a platform in a few years. right now they have a ladder and platform. when they buy the new one they will just have two platforms and no laddertrucks.
    from what i have had to deal with, rear mounts are just easier for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only major differences I've seen of midmounts vs rear mounts is the length and the center of gravity. On a rear mounted arial the top of the ladder rests over the cab and the overall vehicle length can be reduced by maybe a foot or two. To get the same length on a midmount arial it would either have a longer chasis or hang off the rear end which may require a slightly longer apparatus bay.

But the most notable difference is the lower center of gravity in a midmount because the ladder doesnt need to be up so high in order to rest atop the cab. Lower center of gravity is obviously good for minimizing risk of roll overs.

------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

There are many reasons to look at both types. Scrub area, overall hieght, overall length, street/road conditions, quint/truck. It is not just about weight and height. There are significant tactical differences. And MM's can be as short in OVL as RM's or close as they often have 1 and even 2 more aerail sections. Many factors must be studied to make an informed decison on what will work best in your community.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    There are many reasons to look at both types. Scrub area, overall hieght, overall length, street/road conditions, quint/truck. It is not just about weight and height. There are significant tactical differences. And MM's can be as short in OVL as RM's or close as they often have 1 and even 2 more aerail sections. Many factors must be studied to make an informed decison on what will work best in your community.
    PS: if you do order a midmount... make sure it will fit into the station...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

The three biggest advantages I see to midmounts:

#1. No basket overhang over the front of the cab. Easier to drive.

#2. You drive foward to fires. The turntable is near the front of the truck. Easier to spot.

#3. Lower travel height. Lowers center of gravity reducing body roll and reduces the areas you cannot go because of clearance issues. Easier to get around town.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    The three biggest advantages I see to midmounts:

#1. No basket overhang over the front of the cab. Easier to drive.

#2. You drive foward to fires. The turntable is near the front of the truck. Easier to spot.

#3. Lower travel height. Lowers center of gravity reducing body roll and reduces the areas you cannot go because of clearance issues. Easier to get around town.
    While I agree nearly wholeheartedly., some might argue that a mid-mount is harder to drive given the large "tailslap". There is definately a learning curve when going from a rearmount to a midmount. But I too like being able to spot the turntable closer to the driver seat, though with practice a good operator can place anyhting anywhere! My mid-mount favorites:

1. Better total scrub area.
    2. You can put the bucket on the ground much closer to the truck (most).
    3. No front overhang.
    4. lower travel height.
    5. I've yet to see a rear mount Aeriascope!

Thread Information