Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

1) FFFRED...for NIMS, shouldn't we supposed to just refer to all those in vernacular or codes, or should we start memorizing NFIRS codes to use over the air...because then we know absolutely certainly what's up using NFIRS, but then that's not plain language...

2) IMHO, it's false if there is no reasonable explanation -- steam or food on stove is reasonable. An electrical storm passing through setting it off isn't (thankfully the systems have gotten a lot better). I don't have a problem lumping those in with "good intent" since the alarm system honestly thought it was a fire.

3) !!$#%^ ADT sucks. I'm at the firehouse one day, phone rings. "This is ADT, we're receiving a trouble alarm from the fire station." "What's the address?" "The fire station." "That doesn't answer the question, what's the address?" "The fire station!" "Ok, I'm going to say this slow -- what's the address?" "The fire station!" "That doesn't tell me anything, we have more than one fire station that is monitored by this ADT contract." "Uh...hold on..." long pause and they finally give me the street address.

Unfortunately, they've pulled the same game with actual fire alarms. We've been toned for "Fire Alarm, from one of your stations, ADT doesn't know which one."

4) Going back, heck actually 20 years, is our best example.

Our policy is we will continue something, even if just an officer POV, to verify the situation.

Homeowner had opened their wood stove at oh-dark-thirty on a bitterly cold night. Put some wood in, a puff of smoke came out. Fire alarm went off, he called his alarm service to cancel (they had already alerted our dispatch center). Certainly was reasonable for him to think that smoke had set off the alarm. Dispatch notified the Chief, apparatus were held in quarters and the closest officer responding from home was directed to go verify the situation.

Meanwhile the homeowner then opened the door to the attached garage to get more wood and discovered he had a real fire. He did discover it and call 911 just before our officer responding from home arrived.

I have a coiuple after almost 20 years on ...............

first- Got dispatched to automatic alarm at a residence and found no one home and nothing showing from 3 sides. On this run I was driving and pulled past the structure and per the Officer stopped, got the rig in pump up and went onto the pump panel.....had the recirc and tank to pump pulled and imagine my surprise when the officer calls back to start pulling a line and charge it. Upon forcing entry there was bird in the oven that overheated and made for a nice ktichen fire. Needless to say it was quite a surprise as most guys would have just sat in the truck and waited. On the other hand we did have everyone in packs and past pulling the line there was no delay in getting a good knock on it.

Most recently (March of last year)- Got dispatched to a working residential fire .......pulled up and called command and as arrived and was setting up shop dispatch called and reported we were getting an automatic alarm from the location. .oh well .........better late than never ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I'm looking forward to the they day when an alarm going off can be trusted to be something real..... maybe sometime in 2020.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Some observations...

Owner calls and says its a false alarm. We always continue one engine, non-emergency, to confirm. I would hope evryone else does the same. If not, thats a lot of liability to assume on an FDs part.

Storms setting off alarms. Living in the lighting capital of the US, we run these once in a while. Belive it or not, most times its a ground fault in the dedicated phone lines for the alarms. Lighting hits the ground and zap, fire alarm. Food for thought.

Hitting the re-set and going home. Hmmm. You do realize that if you re-set and its an actual system malfunction, youve just made it very difficult (if not impossible) for the alarm tech to find and fix the problem? Thought not.

Unless you can find the problem, like a pulled alarm box, a better option is to silence, have the location post a fire watch and call the service tech. That is, unless you like running the same false alram over and over and over...

Now for the question...I always got a kick out of how when we force entry and are checking the building only to have dispatch call and report the alarm company now shows a burglar alarm. DUH...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Some observations...

Owner calls and says its a false alarm. We always continue one engine, non-emergency, to confirm. I would hope evryone else does the same. If not, thats a lot of liability to assume on an FDs part.

Storms setting off alarms. Living in the lighting capital of the US, we run these once in a while. Belive it or not, most times its a ground fault in the dedicated phone lines for the alarms. Lighting hits the ground and zap, fire alarm. Food for thought.

Hitting the re-set and going home. Hmmm. You do realize that if you re-set and its an actual system malfunction, youve just made it very difficult (if not impossible) for the alarm tech to find and fix the problem? Thought not.

Unless you can find the problem, like a pulled alarm box, a better option is to silence, have the location post a fire watch and call the service tech. That is, unless you like running the same false alram over and over and over...

Now for the question...I always got a kick out of how when we force entry and are checking the building only to have dispatch call and report the alarm company now shows a burglar alarm. DUH...
    I know exactly what you mean with the thunderstorms. It's a daily summertime ritual!

We always send the first due, non-emergency to any request-to-cancell alarm. We also actually get off the truck and go inside to confirm the cause of the activation. We don't want any unpleasant surprises later.

It is our policy to never reset the alarm system ourselves. We will assist the key holder in some cases, but if the key holder cannot reset it themselves, we have them contact their service provider for assistance.

We also issue citations to commercial occupancies for 3 or more repeated malfunction activations within a 30 day period.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information