Default USMC reserve firefighting

Are there any USMC reserve units with military crash crews in the north east? I live in the NYC metro area and I am interested in joining the USMC reserve as a 7051. I am willing to travel up to 4 hours away from my house. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Yes, Willow Grove PA.....as long as thier still there. There is a member by the name of gunnyv. He's an ARFF bubba. But...let me ask you....you're joining the Marines.....why not be a grunt?
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Thanks Vinnie, beat me too it. Nice try stealing him.

Yes, MWSS 472 is still at Willow Grove. That's near Philadelphia. I couldn't tell you if it's within 4 hrs, but I'm sure you could hit Mapquest.

The only other units are currently in Minneapolis (may be moving to Detroit) and Miramar, CA.

I'm short on time, but if you hit search and look for USMC ARFF, you'll find lots of info I'v written on the subject.

Forum Member

If you're gonna join, why not go active duty? Boot camp isn't any shorter and the fire academy isn't either. You'll become a part of something that isn't able to be described if you go active duty. Trust me. I know. Don't short change yourself!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ruffrydausmc View Post
    If you're gonna join, why not go active duty? Boot camp isn't any shorter and the fire academy isn't either. You'll become a part of something that isn't able to be described if you go active duty. Trust me. I know. Don't short change yourself!
    Well maybe he likes his present job/location and just wanted to do something for his country. Active duty isn't for everyone. I tried it for six years and gave it up. Many, many years later, I joined the reserves and I am enjoying every minute.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Thanks Vinnie, beat me too it. Nice try stealing him.

Thank Gunny, always my pleasure to poach for the Grunts!
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I'm not saying it is for everyone but at least give it a shot if you're going to join. I did my four honorably and got out. The life isn't what I wanted forever but I'm glad I made the decision to join and try it. My MOS was 7051, I know the active duty side and I don't believe you can get the same experience if you're doing it once a month and only when it's bloody.

Forum Member

Maybe it's also 'cause you can only get an MOS guarantee in the reserves. Active duty only guarantees the Occ Field...you could end up in Recovery or Ops.

Sorry, couldn't resist this one....unless you're at an extremely active training air station (either rotary or fixed wing), or deployed to the AOR (which most reservists are doing anyways), I'd be hard pressed to say that the active duty crash crew gets all that much more experience than the reserve side. Oh, if you mean more experience field daying, sitting hotspot, bunker gear drills, firegodding, and doing every pogue duty on the air station...then yes, I agree.

Besides I agree with Vinnie. But then again, I've been known to be overly harsh on these new kids that want to use the Corps simply as a stepping stone to an FD...like we're the Air Force or something. I'll never understand it.

To the O.P. - in addition to taking TopV's advice on using the "search" function on this bulletin board, also search the www.military.com USMC "wannabe" discussion board. About once a week someone's asking about crash crew...there's a bunch of threads posted there. It amazes me that in about the same amount of time it takes somebody to write a post, they could've used the search function.

Forum Member

I never used the Corps for that. My recruiter put it down and said cop/ firefighter same thing. I was trying to go for 5811. And yes there are alot of people that try to Crash Crew and don't. The Bunker Gear drills, Hotspot, and everything else are all part of the fun and experience. You sound like you just had a bad time. It's not my fault.

Forum Member

Fun is with the GRUNTs! E-tool Quals, E&P Drills, Buda Buda Jam, you get to "hang out" in the outdoors! Hot Chow on Fridays, and the chance to blow stuff up! Who wouldn't want that.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

NAH! The grunts is for the dummies! ARTILLERY is where its at!! The KING of battle! All the toys the grunts get PLUS 155MM HOWITZERS, M198 and the 105MM M105!!!!! (Just stay clear of the breach when we pull the cord son, it might leave a mark!!)
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

Fire For Effect!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 1835Wayne; 02-17-2007 at 01:10 AM.

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

Ah...Arty....and the FDC.....so....hows the coffee and dounuts?
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Come on, Wayne, the two Gunnys who work for me were both Arty, one an 0844 and the other an 0811. I've heard all the BS. Come on, tell me again about how the "the King of Battle doesn't walk"-'cause there are plenty of them doing so as security battalions in Iraq!

Forum Member

Well, when the grunts can't figure it out.....................

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Come on, Wayne, the two Gunnys who work for me were both Arty, one an 0844 and the other an 0811. I've heard all the BS. Come on, tell me again about how the "the King of Battle doesn't walk"-'cause there are plenty of them doing so as security battalions in Iraq!
    Correct Top....those poor souls, no more big one-five-fives....MCT and a few weeks at the stumps....but still POGEs! People Other than Grunts! Immitation is the highest form of flatery.

PS...just breaking chops, when I need it...I know steel rain will be on target, so I can carry out my mission..."Seek out, Close with and destroy......"

PSS...Wayne....in that pic...those Marines sure do look clean and well feed.....what's that like? Eatting hots and having a cot?
    Last edited by VinnieB; 02-19-2007 at 03:17 AM.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Terrible!! I burned my tongue and the cot was to hard!!

Thread Information