FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by VallejoFireDogg View Post
    im wondering if there is a FULL online B.A. also. keiser looks to only have an A.S.
    Lake Superior State University was the FIRST to earn International Fire Service Accreditation Council (IFSAC) accreditation for it's bachelor degree program.

http://www.lssu.edu/programsofstudy/firescience/

The GENERALIST track is the online option.

MembersZone Subscriber

whatever college you pick make sure they are nationally accredited and or regionally accredited.

Forum Member

Default B.S. Public Safety Admin

For those of you who are wondering what if I can not always be a "fireman" and why do I really need a B.S. in Fire Science. I asked the same questions so I have started my B.S. in Public Safety Administration at Grand Canyon University of Ariziona. This school is real and has been since 1949 nice thing is they have some programs online. Of all the schools I have worked with to get things together they are the best. Better then EKU, UMUC, and any others.

P.S. Columbia Southern as you all should know there are enough posts on here about it is not regionally accredited.

GCU!!!

Forum Member

Default Online Worth It?

What is the going opinion of Online Fire Science Degrees? Are they worth the money? I am currently testing for departments on the west coast, I have a BS in Environmental Science and I am in paramedic school. Do people think that is is worth the time and money to get an online fire science degree?

Default online fire science

I know I'm responding to an old post, but there's a new program worth checking out. Lake Superior State U., MI, (IFSAC approved) and The College Network are now partners for online Associate and Bachelor of Science degrees.
    Full disclosure: I put my own daughter through her RN program via TCN (at retail, no less) before I became a Program Advisor. With two kids and a full-time job, distance learning at her own pace in her own home made the difference.
    www.college-net.com/balich or call me and I'll find you someone local to answer questions. 518-496-4600 But me or not, check the program out.

Forum Member

Default Online Classes in Southern CA

Anyone know of any classes in southern ca, thanks?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll go ahead and weigh in as I am currently taking classes through Columbia Southern University. I started there a couple of years ago and have been working on classes here and there when I have the time and money. I still have a ways to go, but definately making progress.

When I started looking at distance education for fire science/administration I remember having it narrowed down to CSU and UMUC(University of Maryland, University College). If if remember correctly the biggest reason I chose CSU was the flexible scheduling. The per-course enrollment allows you to start a class whenever and you are given ten weeks to complete it. They are reasonably priced (almost the same as my local state university).

In reference to some of the concerns posted reference CSU, I can only speak for my experience. The interaction I have had with the instructors has been fine, but then again I tend to be very independent when it comes to learning which is why I knew distance education would work for me. As far as the difficulty of the courses go I have had a couple that were moderately challenging and a couple that were a cake walk. But then again, when I took my AAS in Fire Science I had classes like that as well. And as someone mentioned, you really do get out of a course what you want. The more effort you put into studying and understanding the material, the more you will retain and be able to apply to life after the class is finished.

Also, as far as accredidation for CSU, here is the info:
    http://www.columbiasouthern.edu/abou...editation.html

When looking for an online education, take a serious look at the offerings of the different places. Make a list if the things that are important to you and compare it to what they offer. A college education is more than a piece of paper saying that you took some classes and spent a lot of money. Make it worthwhile and find the right school for you.
    Stay Safe

Ryan Dennett
    FF/EMT-I

"Some ask why. I answer: I know where I am going when I die, and so I do not fear it. Some people need more time to figure it out. I am that extension. My life for yours."
    Marc 'SkipJack270'

Forum Member

Default Look into a local University.

I know over 50 firefighters that have tried online degrees and only 1 that completed it. He only completed because he was able to transfer another BS degree credits into the fire science BS degree. Those online degrees are structured so you never finnish.

I went to a local University and was out in 2 years (with aas credits). I recommend you look into staying local if you can.

Others might not agree with me, but the stats donít lie. I bet you canít find 10 people on here that completed an online BS degree.

Good luck, sorry for being so bold, just donít want you to throw your $ away.
    "Courage isn't that you can see what lies ahead; courage means you will advance not knowing but doing at all costs."
    Byron Pulsifer

my friend is helping me with choosing the right online collage for me and he has an AA from a comunity collage and a BS from from night classes and an MA from online. i think its more about following your curriculum evaluation and degree compleation plan.

Forum Member

I am 6 classes away from a CSU BS in Fire Science. While the classes are no where near as tough as a regular college class, I seem to be getting a lot out of it. I think it is more about your own self determination; anyone can pass the CSU online classes, but you have to be a little more dedicated to really make the most of the courses offered.

jeckysmith
    Firehouse.com Guest

Removed by Moderator
    Last edited by webteam; 06-06-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: spam

Forum Member

For what purpose do you want the feedback for peak pikes community college. Because each and every college has its own popularity for study their. So for which course do you want to know about the college.

Forum Member

Default Psychology Masters

I found a really good program in Pennsylvania, it's a smaller school but has a great program.

Lewis University has a lot of great programs I earned their Bachelor in Fire Science Degree . It was great and I learned a lot, I would recommend there Fire Safety Programs to anyone.

Forum Member

You might want to look at the one of the National Fire academy Baccalaureate programs offered around the country.

Cogswell College has a 100% FESHE program online.

Check out their website: http://www.cogswell.edu/academics/ddp_about.php

My colleagues and I went through the program and we liked it alot. We all have promoted now.
    Last edited by Cogswell_FESHE; 05-14-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Forum Member

Southern Columbia Universit is NOT regionally accredited. I would worry about transferring degree and course work to another school.

Forum Member

You might want to look at the one of the National Fire Academy Baccalaureate programs offered around the country.

Cogswell College has a 100% FESHE program online.

Check out their website: http://www.cogswell.edu/academics/ddp_about.php

My colleagues and I went through the program and we liked it alot. We all have promoted now.

Forum Member

Upper Iowa University offers an online undergraduate Fire Science program. UIU accepts transfer credits from other accredited institutions as well as experiential learning credit for those with life experience that might apply to the desired degree. For more information on UIU and their online programs, including Fire Science, check out the following links:

Upper Iowa University online programs page: http://www.uiu.edu/distance/online/index.html

Upper Iowa University FREE online application: https://my.uiu.edu/ics/_portletview_...script_Content

Upper Iowa University - Distance Education Twitter account: https://twitter.com/UIUDistanceEd

Upper Iowa University - Distance Education Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/UIUDistanceEd

Thread Information