Forum Member

Default How to dispose of old tanker

Hopefully today we will take delivery of our new pumper-tanker purchased with a 2005 grant.

The new pumper-tanker will replace an existing tanker that we are taking out of service due to safety issues.

The 2006 program guidance states that you have to certify that the truck was taken out of service - I do not see anything like that in the 2005 program guidance.

What are our options for disposal? Can we sell the truck as is to someone other than a fire department or do we have to sell the truck only as scrap?

Personally, I want to shoot a 44 mag through the radiator.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you close to any of the mine pits in SE Kansas?

Forum Member

If you stated in your grant app that the vehicle needed to be taken out of service and off the road because it was unsafe, it can not be transferred to another dept. and should not be sold as a tanker.

Forum Member

Angry Guess I have more time to decide - truck being held hostage

Dang $%^$#% dealer didn't deliver the truck - they had snow in their area and didn't want to deliver the truck when the roads weren't perfect.

Ready to report the truck as stolen.

4 months late and still waiting..................

MembersZone Subscriber

"how to dispose of" is by far more open to options than simply "documenting it is out of service".

This forum is probably one of the best places on the web to solicit ideas to "dispose" of anything. Make sure you put the clip on YouTube afterwards, OK?

In all seriousness, if you're not looking to gain a buck, I'd sell it on eBay with no reserve as-is, where-is, with clear caveats about its condition. With luck it'll be gone in ten days.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Mitchkrat;

That dealer didn't happen to be from northwest of you.....on I70?

If he is, then it's a common ploy so he can drive it around and sell more.
    Joe Fireman

Forum Member

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by FFCOPEMT View Post
    Mitchkrat;

That dealer didn't happen to be from northwest of you.....on I70?

If he is, then it's a common ploy so he can drive it around and sell more.
    Yep - that's the one!

Also - as far as I know the hose is not in for the truck yet - 2nd time we have had this problem with same dealer

Update - now they are saying roads are still in such poor condition on I-70 that they can't attempt to deliver today. Another day of our truck being held hostage! But.. the hose may be delivered today, so we'll have the hose - but no truck.

Should have had the truck shipped UPS!
    Last edited by mitchkrat; 02-14-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Update

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

[QUOTE=ElectricHoser;771737]"how to dispose of" is by far more open to options than simply "documenting it is out of service".

This forum is probably one of the best places on the web to solicit ideas to "dispose" of anything. Make sure you put the clip on YouTube afterwards, OK?

I vote for donating it to Myth Busters and watching them blow it up or something else fun like that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd suggest remove tank from the chassis. You can certainly handle this in house. Keep photos and records of disposal.

Sell or scrap tank. If tank holds water someone will pay you $ for it. If chassis is worth anything a farmer/contractor/etc will have interest at the right price.

Selling as an assembly looks like a bad idea if you pitched your need due to safety concerns that could not be solved. Even if the Fire Grant guys don't object, if you're knowingly transfering an unsafe vehicle you have liability exposure you don't need.

Forum Member

Smile Got the truck yesterday

Will post pics when I can get goods pics in daylight.

KW/Central States
    2500 Gallon tank, 1250 gpm pump

Electric dumps on rear and on sides right behin pump panel
    6" gated suction on drivers side and rear - have 2nd primers to prime before valves so can pre-fill suction line before opening.

Crosslays with foam

2 1.75"
    1 2.5"

Rear preconnected Blitz Gun with 200' of 3"

600' of 3" supply

Akron Apollo deck gun with 18" TFT extenda gun, ground base

4 Scott SCBA with 4 spare bottles
    RIT Pack

Waiting on 800' of 5" LDH to arrive
    Last edited by mitchkrat; 02-16-2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    What are our options for disposal? Can we sell the truck as is to someone other than a fire department or do we have to sell the truck only as scrap?
    ebay is your friend.

Seller it as a former fire service tanker. If it is currently registered, say so. If not, make no gaurantees that it can be registered. Make sure it is listed as out-of-service/currently-unfit-for-fire-service-use/sold "as is".
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Advertise that it cannot be used for " Fire Service" and then have buyer sign an affidavit stating that they are buying it with full knowledge that the vehicle cannot/ will not be used as a fire department vehicle. That should cover you in terms of satisfying the grant folks at DHS and then keep the document in your grant paperwork.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

2005 had no stipulations as to what you could and couldn't do with vehicles you were replacing. Of course if it's not safe for you to use, not finding how it's safe for anyone else, but if you sold it to another department for $1 (removes liability issues of donations) then it's on them to baffle the tank and handle the other issues that may need addressing.

The purpose of ensuring that people removed unsafe trucks was because everyone claimed they were driving death traps, then when they came for the site audit, there's the death trap still running calls.

Kurt, 2nd week in March I'm making a pit stop at the hallowed grounds in TN on my way from AL workshops to MO workshop. Oh happy days. Hopefully I don't get "stuck" there. Almost afraid of what might follow me home from Jack's place. Such things cost money....

MembersZone Subscriber

BC are you going to the fire school or just passing through a certain dry county to replenish the supply?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As much as I'd like to take some classes it will just be a social call to an old friend's place this time.

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    2005 had no stipulations as to what you could and couldn't do with vehicles you were replacing. Of course if it's not safe for you to use, not finding how it's safe for anyone else, but if you sold it to another department for $1 (removes liability issues of donations) then it's on them to baffle the tank and handle the other issues that may need addressing.

The purpose of ensuring that people removed unsafe trucks was because everyone claimed they were driving death traps, then when they came for the site audit, there's the death trap still running calls.

Kurt, 2nd week in March I'm making a pit stop at the hallowed grounds in TN on my way from AL workshops to MO workshop. Oh happy days. Hopefully I don't get "stuck" there. Almost afraid of what might follow me home from Jack's place. Such things cost money....
    Just keep the credit card in your pocket when you enter the SIngle Barrel Room unless your willing to part with about $5K for your own personal barrel.
    Kurt Bradley

FH Mag/.com Contributor

This trip I won't have that issue, have to take the plane back from St Louis to Houston TSA won't let that through. Now when I'm driving up over the summer for Expo & vacation, won't have that restriction.

Only restriction will be the one about not breathing after the wife finds out I did something like that Keep forgetting I shouldn't tell her the life insurance is paid up...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    This trip I won't have that issue, have to take the plane back from St Louis to Houston TSA won't let that through. Now when I'm driving up over the summer for Expo & vacation, won't have that restriction.

Only restriction will be the one about not breathing after the wife finds out I did something like that Keep forgetting I shouldn't tell her the life insurance is paid up...
    Tried to use the "but honey its our anniversary present" that didn't get to far either!
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information