MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pull-up Bars for home?

I found a pull-up/chin-up bar that I can put in a doorway at my house. It costs about $25 from "The Sports Authority". Has anybody ever used a home version pull-up bar?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I looked at those pull-up bars that expand to fit in your doorway and decided that I didn't want to ruin my doorway and didn't want to run the risk of the thing slipping when I was hanging from it. And not being able to hang full length was also a reason. They're great if you're 3 feet tall!

If you have a basement with an unfinished ceiling (exposed joists) you can build yourself a pull-up bar that's cheap and strong. I think I spent about 10 bucks at Home Depot, assuming you have a drill and the usual collection of bits already.

If you want more details, let me know. If you'd like, we can exchange email addresses and I can send you a picture of the thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lrg500 View Post
    I found a pull-up/chin-up bar that I can put in a doorway at my house. It costs about $25 from "The Sports Authority". Has anybody ever used a home version pull-up bar?
    bob3000 summed it up pretty well.

I've got one of those bars around here somewhere that's been around for at least 40 years when it belonged to my uncle... (I remember it from my grandmother's house. I inherited it much later. )

It worked fine when I was a kid but I wouldn't care to use it now. The pressure needed against the doorframe to support an adult is rather excessive and it has to be mounted too low to do a proper pull-up without keeping your knees bent.

Better to build your own in a basement or, better yet, a garage with a higher ceiling.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the help guys. I'm out of luck, I don't have a basement or a garage. I'd love to see some pictures though. I might have to rig up something outside, just an idea. Thanks again though.

Bob3000--Here is my email lrg3197@yahoo.com

Stay Safe--Larry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lrg500 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm out of luck, I don't have a basement or a garage. I'd love to see some pictures though. I might have to rig up something outside, just an idea.
    Can you put something fairly permanent in your yard? All you need are two 4x4's uprights set in concrete and some iron pipe for a crossbar.

2 bags concrete mix
    2 4x4x10' pressure treated posts
    1 3' section of iron pipe, threaded at both ends
    2 iron pipe flanges, threads to match the pipe
    6 or 8 lag bolts to attach the flanges to the posts
    6 pack of your favorite frosty lager
    1 shovel or post hole digger (PhD preferred)
    1 wrench to match the lag bolts
    1 hour's work, give or take, mostly to dig the holes 3' deep
    24 hours for the concrete to set

(Just one upright if there's a solid bit of house in a convenient location to substitute for the second upright... )
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

That's pretty much what I had in mind. I'll just have to do it one day while the wife is at work.

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing you might consider is a power tower. It normally has 3 stations for Push ups, Dips, and Pull-ups. It will cost you at least $100 or maybe a little more. The plus side is that you won't have to tear up any of your doors and it's pretty much good forever as long as you take care of it. You can find these at most sporting good stores. The down-side is that they can take up space. Anyway, just an idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you have any pictures of the power tower?

Forum Member

I don't see what the big deal is about bending your knees. You can straighten them once you're at the top if you want to. It's not as if it'd make any difference with your leg strength. Flexed kness probably help you avoid swinging and stuff anyway.

I put a bar from Bally Fitness in my doorway, I like it because it's padded and easier on the hands than just a metal one, although it extends from 1 end so 1 side of it has some exposed metal, meaning to use the full width of the grip I'd be gripping foam on one hand, metal on the other. It doesn't make any difference if you just face the room/hallway intermittantly.

The main thing here probably is that your grip width is limited to the width of your doorway. Bars I've seen at gyms can go a lot wider. Even so, you can still get a great workout.

What I like to do is touch my head to the ceiling and count that as one rep. If you're anchoring your bar very low or there's more space between the top of your door arch and the ceiling it'd be hard to do this.

As for ruining doorways, I guess that's a factor, I personally don't care. I actually put a second bracket at about the level of the door handle, I can unscrew the bar and put it there if I want to do bodyweight rows, like a reverse benchpress or whatever, you can elevate your legs on a chair and stuff.

Obviously buying something like a combination pullup/dip station is superior, but something like that usually needs to be outdoors unless you have an unusually high ceiling, and we all know how space can be a problem.

Conversely, accessibility can also be a problem, which is where door-mounted bars shine. If you put a bar near a door that you walk by a lot of times (bedroom if you have your computer there, kitchen if you like to eat, etc.) then you're more likely to do chinups simply because of the conveniance.

Thread Information