Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CT fire academy

Forum Member

Default CT fire academy

I might be lucky enough to be in the March class. I was wondering what the daily routine is and any advice from the guys who have been there.

MembersZone Subscriber

The recruits have PT every day before class. Some classes have had pool exercises (water polo) as well as running and calisthenics. Class usually starts at 0900 or 0930. Break for lunch (on-site, pretty good too). Class resumes until 1630. Night classes, depending on the subject can run to 2200 or 2300. Expect a quiz every day on the previous days lesson.

Discipline is pretty tight and a formal relationship between recruits and instructors is expected. Demerit cards are used for infractions. All recruits are in the dorms at 2200 hrs. Do not get caught out of the building after that, except for emergencies or previous arrangements.

Good luck and see you there.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Don't worry, you won't be pushed physically, the PT instructors are afraid to "hurt" anyone because for many small departments this is their only chance to get someone online...so don't you definetly won't be in the best shape of your life when you get done...i speak from first hand experience, this was my only disappointment with my academy experience...good luck

Forum Member

So after class has ended for the day you can leave but just be back?

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePants8 View Post
    You must work for hunters
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 123fire View Post
    So after class has ended for the day you can leave but just be back?
    Yes, breakfast and lunch are part of the tuition. You are on your own for dinner.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    You must work for hunters

Yea there is a strong chance of that. Although there are rumors we are going black pants soon. But anyways thanks for the responses. Hopefully I will find out officially that im going this week.

Forum Member

Breakfast from 6:30 to 8am(usually pretty good, but don't eat too much before PT).Start with an hour of PT 8-9am; M, F strength training and calisthenics. W is pool day. T, TH are cardio/run days. Classroom/fireground after that depending on the subject. Lunch around noon ( I thought the food for lunch was horrible). Back in classroom/fireground around 1pm until 4/4:30pm.
    You are on your own for dinner and can leave the grounds after class, but must be back by 10pm. They have sign in at 10pm, and usually do a fire drill or two per week during the night.
    The rooms were individual room with personal bathroom/shower, like a mini hotel room minus the TV and phone.That may change if the class is unusally large , they may double up.
    The first two, three weeks are the hardest. You will have some days where you have class/fireground all day and then nims/ics at night(not too hard, just a long day). Homework every night, and usually a quiz on every class day.
    Most instructors are pretty cool after the first few weeks, if you are squared away. If you are a screw up, they'll ride you the whole time. The instructors from Hartford are a great bunch of guys, pay attention because they know their s##t.
    Don't ever forget your rope or water bottle(they will give them to you), they must be with you at all times.. Any more questions, just ask...

Forum Member

What a fantastic thread! Finally a topic on the Connecticut board that doesn't have to do with parades or new trucks.

If anyone else has any advise or information about the recruit classes please share them. I'll be at the academy in March with the other 73 people in Recruit Class 38!

Forum Member

Turk, are you serious, 73 people at CFA? They will definitely need to double up on the rooms, if I remember correctly, they only have around 40 rooms. It could be very interesting how they handle a class that large..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    Turk, are you serious, 73 people at CFA? They will definitely need to double up on the rooms, if I remember correctly, they only have around 40 rooms. It could be very interesting how they handle a class that large..
    Yes - this was a rumor that was floating around for a while and a friend of mine that is an instructor up there confirmed it. This is their largest class so far... over 70 slots have been reserved by departments.

From what I heard they are going to have two platoons and basically run 'two academies' at the same time. That doesn't fix the bunking problem though! I don't know if they're going to double up everyone in each bunk room or have people stay off site???????????

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TurkII View Post
    If anyone else has any advise or information about the recruit classes please share them.
    Don't get discouraged if things are not 100% right; with a class this size there are bound to be logistical problems. Believe me, the staff and adjuncts at the CFA really want this program to be successful.

You are only there for 10 weeks before you get sent back to your FD for a 20 to 25 year career. It will go by fast (both recruit school and your career).

Hit the books every night, stay away from the group (and there always is one) that goes out partying during the week, give 100% everyday, and you will do fine.
    -------------------

MembersZone Subscriber Bigft357's Avatar

Default Sept. Class

What is being added to the september class that has extended it out for a few weeks more?

Forum Member

aaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by Infamousdiz; 04-20-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    The instructors from Hartford are a great bunch of guys, pay attention because they know their s##t.
    Yes, they are a great group of guys... even the young arrogant, egotistical one... however, don't idolize them just because they are from Hartford.

And don't fall blindly for the 2 and 20 instructors! They are not as respected by their peers as you might think.

Forum Member

Turk, I'll bet they will just buy more beds. Some of the rooms had 2 beds(not bunk beds), when I was there. It will probably be 2 guys per room, which ain't bad at all. Still quiet enough to read your assignment for the night, and do the workbook questions.
    Like Ken said, there will be a group that goes out partying all the time. It's up to you if you join in or not, just remember, the instructors will have no mercy on you, and PT blows with a hangover. Some guys mistakingly think they are back in the fraternity house, others have never been away from mommy and daddy and they cut loose when they get there, Don't be one of those guys because the instructors will straighten you out.
    Don't bring a flashlight, knife, rope, webbing, tools, etc. You won't need any of it, and they won't let you use any of it.The only thing you need is your full PPE. You can bring a TV, small refridgerator, etc. I had a portable DVD and ipod which kept me from going nuts.
    Don't bring a bunch of uniforms, bell cap, tie, coat, etc. You walk in wearing a uniform on the first day and that's it. They give you 3 red t-shirts that you will wear from then on with either PT gear or uniform pants. You won't wear your uniform shirt again until graduation, or god forbid, a funeral. Go up there now and buy yourself some Fire Academy sweatpants and a sweatshirt, they only give you one pair of shorts which don't help when it's 10 degrees outside.
    Post anything else you want to know, happy to help.....

Forum Member

By the way, Congratulations to those of you that will be in class 38!! Enjoy it, the 10 and a half weeks goes by very fast, and believe it or not, you will miss it a little when you leave.

puplepants8,
    Don't kid yourself they said they would change the pants 15 years ago when I was there. It will never happen!!! You will be the burgandy brigade forever!!! Vern loves that you stand out from all the other EMS companies.

Congrats to class 38 from class 12!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Quote Originally Posted by TurkII View Post
    That doesn't fix the bunking problem though! I don't know if they're going to double up everyone in each bunk room or have people stay off site???????????
    With any luck it will encourge them to drop the mandatory "sleep at the academy" rules. Originally it was optional to stay at the Academy during recruit school except for one or two weeks for night classes. It's only been recently that all recruits were required to stay there for the whole course.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Smile Down to 68

The class size is down to 68. Stamford dropped their guys out. And they are bunking up 2 to a room> this is from one of the lead instructors that I work with

Thread Information