MembersZone Subscriber

Default mobile fire simulator

I am putting the finishing touches on a request for proposal package for a mobile fire simulator. I remember a couple of posts from folks here that had received grants for these. If you have one or have worked with one, is there anything you would do different? Additions, changes, deletions, suggestions? Any opinions on manufacturers?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone????

MembersZone Subscriber

I was waiting to see if anyone had any experience myself. It is an interesting idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only point I would put forth on this is it had better be coupled with a strong mutual aid training plan and there had better not be another fire academy or other simulator within 100 miles of it.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Our county chief's association got together a couple years ago and put in for one successfully. It was a regional project, though.

LV-- The same year we got ours (2005), Southern Stone County FPD got a grant for a two-story job. I can't find pics on the linked website, but it's nice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt,
    We got the grant - awarded in round 16. Mutual aid training and the benefits to the entire county were emphasized in the application. Also emphasized was the 500 mile round trip to the state fire academy.

What I was hoping for was: "If you have one or have worked with one, is there anything you would do different? Additions, changes, deletions, suggestions? Any opinions on manufacturers?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry, was stuck on the "getting it mode", not the OK now I have the award, what next mode. LOL!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

now I have the award, what next mode.
    When it gets to that point I guess your job is done and all you need is photos for your scrap book!

MembersZone Subscriber

I was in the same mindset, Kurt. What kind of funding did you get, gefd?

I believe the one our county got was a Fire Facilities unit. A neighborning county got a Kidde.

Depending on your money, the Kidde is a damn nice unit. If you're looking more economical, the Fire Facilities unit we got definitely does the job.

Forum Member

I think user JPSmith2 got one for his fire company in 2004? Not sure if he's lurking around or not.

I know they got some kinda trailer...can't recall if it was fire simulator or fire prevention.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

John got a fire simulator. If you dig around enough in the forum search he posted a copy of it back in 2004 or 2005.

MembersZone Subscriber

Catch22

I'd rather not post an exact amount available for the unit. Could be a salesman lurking. Let's just say that it is in excess of $200K.
    Kidde is one of the manufacturers that has been working with us on developing specs and budget prices prior to the grant application. Fireblast is another one that has been helpful. In fact, they are bringing a unit by to demo it tonight. They just happened to be passing close to our neck of the woods delivering this unit and are stopping by to show it off.
    I had looked at the Fire Facilities mobile unit but it looks like that company is more into the fixed unit facilitates and not the mobile units.

Forum Member

I know a department that purchased a fireblast trailer and had a lot of problems with defects and support from the company. Never had any personal experience with it though other than the day we were supposed to train with it, it was out of service because of mechanical problems. Of course I'm sure you'll hear stories like that about any product at some point in time. Just FYI though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gefd901 View Post
    Catch22

I'd rather not post an exact amount available for the unit. Could be a salesman lurking. Let's just say that it is in excess of $200K.
    Kidde is one of the manufacturers that has been working with us on developing specs and budget prices prior to the grant application. Fireblast is another one that has been helpful. In fact, they are bringing a unit by to demo it tonight. They just happened to be passing close to our neck of the woods delivering this unit and are stopping by to show it off.
    I had looked at the Fire Facilities mobile unit but it looks like that company is more into the fixed unit facilitates and not the mobile units.
    I understand completely. The Fire Facilities mobiles seem go be pretty basic. They've got some nice features I'm sure a lot of other do. Removeable/repositionable walls, thermometers, temperature alarms, computer download of the conditions inside, etc.

Our county's grant was only for $150K if I remember right, so they worked well in the budget. If sky was the limit, the Kidde one near us is damn nice! I looked them over pretty good when we started looking into buying, but they were outside our budget unfortunately and I didn't have much say anyway. That's the reason I asked about funds, that and I didn't know how much contact you'd had with any of the companies.

I've never seen the Fireblast.

Forum Member

If you have got the time, check out the trade shows. There are always a couple of good ones to look at, and lots of new ideas each year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is everyone using an equipment grant for this, or an FP&S grant?

MembersZone Subscriber

We used equipment, as did Southern Stone.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Live burn simulators are only eligible under main AFG-Ops. Smoke houses for training the public are only eligible under FP&S.

Thread Information