MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation How does one become an "Ex-Texan"?

Ex-Texan Charged With Aiding Terrorists. FBI: Man Wanted To Overthrow Somali Gov't.

POSTED: 11:00 pm EST February 13, 2007

HOUSTON -- A former Houston man arrested in Kenya last month has been charged in Texas with teaming with al-Qaida to overthrow the Somali government and form an Islamic state there.

Daniel Joseph Maldonado, 28, a Muslim convert also known as Daniel Aljughaifi and Abu Mohammed, was ordered held without bail Tuesday on federal charges of undergoing military training with a terrorist organization and conspiring to use a destructive device.

Maldonado was returned to the United States on Monday night and appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Calvin Botley, the U.S. attorney's office in Houston said. A detention hearing is set for next week.

Maldonado's arrest marks the first criminal prosecution of an American suspected of joining terrorists in Somalia, Assistant Attorney General Kenneth Wainstein said in a statement.

According to the criminal complaint, Maldonado, a Boston native, traveled from Houston to Africa in November 2005. By December 2006, the complaint says, he was in Somalia and had joined with the Islamic Courts Union and elements of al-Qaida to fight in a rebellion designed to overthrow the Somali government and install an Islamic state.

The complaint says Maldonado was issued an AK-47 rifle and attended two military training camps at which members of al-Qaida were present.

Maldonado was captured by the Kenyan military on Jan. 21 as he fled Ethiopian and Somali forces. He was expelled by Kenya and turned over to U.S. officials for his return to Houston.

It wasn't clear Tuesday whether Maldonado had a lawyer.

Maldonado told FBI agents in Kenya that he went to Somalia to fight "jihad," or holy war, for a true Islamic government, according to the complaint.

"I would be fighting the Somali militia, and that turned into fighting the Ethiopians, and if Americans came, I would fight them, too," he is accused of telling the agents. He also told the agents he had "no problem" with killing Americans or with the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the complaint says.

Somalia's last effective national government fell in 1991, when clan-based warlords overthrew dictator Mohamed Siad Barre and then turned on one another. A transitional government was formed in 2004 with U.N. help.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.

How does one become an "Ex-Texan"?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

From what I know about Texans,I'd of thought bad mouthing Tom Landry's mother would do it but this would work too.
    The bigger question is how someone from a state that claims to have barbecue get hooked up with Muslims without being shot for having consumed pork?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    From what I know about Texans,I'd of thought bad mouthing Tom Landry's mother would do it but this would work too.
    The bigger question is how someone from a state that claims to have barbecue get hooked up with Muslims without being shot for having consumed pork?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA. Good question Doug.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

BBQ in Texas is usually BEEF. I guess that would also be a really big NO-NO. May be why he left.. I guess it is easier to write a story that says EX-Texan instead of EX-American. Could be a way to set a jury against the man... Texan's are know for their pride.

Forum Member

No,it's the Hindu that hold the cow to be Holy.As they said in "The Ghost and the Darkness","The Muslims eat the cows."

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    BBQ in Texas is usually BEEF. I guess that would also be a really big NO-NO. May be why he left.. I guess it is easier to write a story that says EX-Texan instead of EX-American. Could be a way to set a jury against the man... Texan's are know for their pride.

Forum Member

Talking

NEWS FLASH!!! The CIA has just finished development of the BBQ Pork bomb.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    No,it's the Hindu that hold the cow to be Holy.As they said in "The Ghost and the Darkness","The Muslims eat the cows."
    Doh! That's right. That's why India is still mostly Hindu and Moderate Muslim. They refuse to switch to eating cows. Had to do some reading to catch up on my cultural knowledge.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench View Post
    NEWS FLASH!!! The CIA has just finished development of the BBQ Pork bomb.
    Hmm, now I know why I was buying all that pork this week.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe the 4th and 5th words of that headline combine to tell us how to become an Ex-Texan: "Aiding Terrorists"

That Pork bomb would be awesome though. Just think of a squadron of C-130s filled with live hogs flying over some muslim town (preferrably Mecca or Medina) opening the cargo doors at 25,000 feet and going into a vertical climb dumping all the pigs out the back. Just imagine the total devastation that could be caused by 1,000+ pigs falling into a city from such a height. It would be instantly fatal to anyone hit by them and then that person would never get into Heaven for being tainted with pig guts. Not to mention the psychological impact on the population from witnessing the pigs exploding as they hit the ground at nearly 100 mph.

As an added bonus, PETA would be madder than hell.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you gave the pigs parachutes, would this constitute as "pigs (will) fly"?

Forum Member

I wonder how many "Dixie Chicks" cds this man had in his possession when he was caught..

Forum Member

Why would anyone want to be an Ex-Texan is the real question...
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by res1cueffd View Post
    ditto.. Do you remember the statement "American by Birth, Texan by the Grace of God! "

Forum Member

Talking

According to the news we can have all kinds of ex-Texans now since they are going to allow over 7000 Iraqis to come into the states. We can start them out in Texas and then move them to new Orleans.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by res1cueffd View Post
    Well ya see, thats what I kinda wondered in the first place. I always understood that if you were born a Texan, you were always a Texan, no matter what. I figure its gotta be more than just "pretty bad" if you got excommunicated from Texas.

Forum Member

Erm.. According to the article, he was a native of Boston.

Unless there's another Boston in Texas, he never was a "Texan"; he just happens to have left for Somalia from Houston...

Kind of makes you wonder how closely the editors who title these wire articles actually read them, doesn't it?
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 02-15-2007 at 01:14 PM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I think there are by-laws about hanging the state flag upside down. That will definitely bring about harsh penalties. Could that be what happened? Sort of along the same lines as saying Arkansas wrong.. ie : Are-Kansas...

MembersZone Subscriber

This double posting thing is starting to get annoying....
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 02-15-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: FRIG'N FIREWALLS

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    I wonder how many "Dixie Chicks" cds this man had in his possession when he was caught..
    Well they are well on their way to be coming Ex-Texans (or hopefully will be just Ex-USA'ers aka Ex-Pats...so they may just have an answer to this thread!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

I think by becoming a Vegetarian you become an EX-TEXAN, and become a Californian.

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Forum Member

Talking

CLARIFICATION FROM UPI: It was not Ex-Texan; it was East Texan as opposed to a West Texan, Southern Texan,Northern Texan and middle state Texan.

MembersZone Subscriber

what a skidmark.

But... there are only a few things u can do to become ex-texan.

Go to Iraqi to become Al-Queda is one of them...

some others are....

Become a Vegetarian

Vote for Hilliary Clinton

Claim to listen to Elton John

Claim to listen to Lizzi Menilli

Watch Baywatch for David Hasselhoff

eat Salsa from New York and claim to like it

And claim that BBQ is better in Memphis than Texas.... which we all know isnt true

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench View Post
    CLARIFICATION FROM UPI: It was not Ex-Texan; it was East Texan as opposed to a West Texan, Southern Texan,Northern Texan and middle state Texan.
    Houston still isnt East-texas....?

On the note of California....
    ....the mexican food in San Francisco sucks, it has things like parsley and this weird sauce inside and no spice at all, and no refried beans.....
    So i have dubbed it "Fu-Fu Mexican".
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Talking

Only foolin with you Texans since the State of Texas is sooooo big. I would agree that if you want true Mexican food it has to come from the Mextex of Texas.Good BBQ too. Anybody remember Pecos Bill?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm going to have to correct u a little bit lvwrench. True mexican food doesnt come from Texas... it comes from Mexico!!!....

and while it may seem like a joke, there is a big difference. You go to Mexico and you go eat Tex-Mex... different foods and different flavors.

But, neither are bad.. just different

Thread Information