Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default E-One 95' MM

The city of Perth Amboy, New Jersey took delivery of there new 2006 E-One platform last year. The quint has a 2000 gpm pump,300gal water tank and is very well liked by the firefighters. This truck replaced a 1987 seagrave 100' Med duty rear mount stick,no pump -or-tank or pre-piped waterway!... They now have a real firefighting tool with dual monitors.
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 09-04-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Whole Truck Multiplexing is in the works. The aerial your RRT saw must have been the "low rail" model which is offered in areas where extremely short trucks are needed. The "high rail" models have a side rail just as high as anyone elses. But.....hopefully your guys will bring "Granny" down in the bucket!!!!
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Permanently Removed

One thing to think twice about is dual monitors gents. If you are worried about equipment weight in the platform, lose the second monitor and nozzle in your specs. The only real purpose of a dual gun set up in the platform is to flow in two separate directions. Realistically how often does that happen? The disadvantages of two monitors (extra $$$, obstruction, weight, limited travel, and on and on) are usually more numerous. They usually far outweigh any possible benefits. TL

Forum Member

[QUOTE=SSIaerialmanTIM;795450]One thing to think twice about is dual monitors gents. If you are worried about equipment weight in the platform, lose the second monitor and nozzle in your specs. The only real purpose of a dual gun set up in the platform is to flow in two separate directions. Realistically how often does that happen?

Actually I have seen several times where two master streams would have come in handy.

I can think of one big reason. At least in my area, you'd be hard pressed to find the water supply for one 1000gpm monitor, let alone two.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    The city of Perth Amboy, New Jersey took delivery of there new 2006 E-One platform last year. The quint has a 2000 gpm pump,300gal water tank and is very well liked by the firefighters. This truck replaced a 1987 seagrave 100' Med duty rear mount stick,no pump -or-tank or pre-piped waterway!... They now have a real firefighting tool with dual monitors.
    Having been first due a couple of times on residential fires while assigned to a ladder, that 300 gallons of water can sure come in handy until the calvary arrives.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

We spoke to a person at Perth Amboy to discuss the E-One tower, when we were scouting. Suffice it to say, we listened and bought something else.

On the dual guns. We too, skipped the second gun much to ALF's suprise? We couldn't think of any real tactical advantage. We were happy to plan on the one tower gun and our second and 3rd due aerials, plus deck pipes and portable monitors. The guns are not cheap and given the real need we opted to use the money elsewhere(3K+). Dual guns are another trinket feeature that seems to be standard on demo trucks. What's the inlet pressure required to flow 2000 gpm at full 95-100 ft. elevation? Does this exceed the hose operating pressure? We had to get "attack rated LDH" to flow 1250 gpm to the nozzle with 300 ft. between the engine and the truck. How realisitic is 2000 gpm?

Permanently Removed

Question general idea

I have been to allot of communities all over the US & Canada and I would say the "average" is that most have 60-80 PSI on hydrants with mains of sufficient size to flow between 1100 and 1550 GPM out of a pipe 90' to 100' tall at elevations above 60 degrees. This is assuming you have the Quint supplying its own pipe with it's own single stage pump of 1250 to 1750 USGPM rating, and a supply line to the hydrant of no more than 50' usually. I am NOT speaking of a pumper supplying an aerial inlet or a pumper relaying to the trucks on board pump.

On said Quint, the truck's pump pressure will be 175 psi to upwards of 230+ psi (in my example above which is fairly open ended with respect to variables).

I will admit I have done this many times, but what I have not done many many times is supplied the aerial inlet with an external pumper. I have only done that a few times on the street - less than 20. However this is your "general" answer I believe if this is what you are asking. If you supply the aerial inlet from an external pumper and want flows over 1100 GPM at 90' to 100' above 60 degrees elevation; it will take approx. 180 psi to slightly OVER the rated pressure of most LDH assuming the LDH length feeding the truck is 25' to 50' long. At 300' of supply line you are definately over the rating of the LDH.

One thing to note - just like anything else - LDH has a "safety factor" and I have never had relatively new LDH burst above it's rated pressure and plenty of times I have had pressures in LDH exceeding 235 PSI. I have even had it over 260+ psi and still not had a problem. BUT THIS WAS NEW HOSE.

I would ask the LDH mfg. what their "safety factor" is. And then there is department SOP and etc.

In my own experience, I have only flowed upwards of 1700-1850 GPM at those angles and aerial extensions on quints using the trucks onboard pump. To flow above 1600 GPM with said Quint, it has been my experience that the hydrant should have 85+ psi and the line to the hydrant 50' or less -and at those flows you are pretty much above 260 psi + pump pres. on the quint with its own pump.

My apologies to the friction loss and formula gurus here. After I quit working for UL I came to the broad conclusion that if you can bring my aerial the water (hydrant of sufficient mains and pressure) - I CAN FLOW IT (from the on board pump).

By the way - cracking open a possible second monitor at those high flows, angles and extensions will not "appreciably" decrease the needed pump pressure - in my humble opinion.

In closing I would say LDH between the pumper and the aerial inlet is your only "weak link" on most modern aerials with permanent waterways during high flows at full extensions and elevations (especially if you have to use more than 100') and I would never voluntarily go that route over using a quints onboard pump during high flows with the exception of either for training purposes OR a possible relay to the trucks pump in a real scenario. TL

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII
    The city of Perth Amboy, New Jersey took delivery of there new 2006 E-One platform last year. The quint has a 2000 gpm pump,300gal water tank and is very well liked by the firefighters.
    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02
    We spoke to a person at Perth Amboy to discuss the E-One tower, when we were scouting. Suffice it to say, we listened and bought something else.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

If I had to do over again I'd skip the 2nd gun too. I'd opt for a single, stick controlled gun. We have found on a number of occasions that a single 800 or so GPM stream at a higher pressure does a great job of getting in, opening up and reaching the fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6 View Post
    Not sure where you were going with this but I'll atleast say we spoke to only one person on the phone so I can't verify his credentials or motives. If the majority of Firefighters are happy, then that is good.

SSIaerialmanTIM: All makes sense to me. My point on the LDH and water supply was directly related to non-quint apparatus.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    If the majority of Firefighters are happy, then that is good.
    C'mon...when was the last time that a majority of firefighters were happy about anything!
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    C'mon...when was the last time that a majority of firefighters were happy about anything!
    Good point! Around here no ones happy unless we're getting steady work. Then all is well. A short time with no good jobs and everyonei s b*tchin' and at each other about the stupidest sh*t.

I'm just glad someone is happy with their E-One MM, our E-One sales guy did a bang up job for us, really went the extra mile, and we would've bought a different truck from him no problem! just not the MM product. Of course we are very happy with our ALF salesman also, but Chris from Greenwood (E-One) really started with us on day 1 and was there for us through to the award of the bid to his competitor. But, that's how it goes in this business when you actaully write your own specs and mean that all bids that comply are welcome.

Don't ask the City of Merriam, Ks (I live there) about their 100' E One MM. It never worked right from day one. It recently went back to Fla for a couple of months and was rebuilt and still came back with issues.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    The Perth Amboy Firefighters went from a " RUSTY " Seagrave 1987 100' stick with no pump or tank to a $ 850,000 E-One 95' MM platform ,don't you think the guys where happy to get there new truck!.. They are our 2nd ladder to all major fires in our fire district !.. The city of Perth Amboy did business with ( Campbell Supply ) the " ALF/LTI dealer for NewJersey for many years with apparatus repairs etc. I thought that they would have gotten a 93' ALF MM platform 2000gpm quint ?
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 04-11-2007 at 08:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Command 6,

My department is also looking into replacing a 75' RM ladder with a ~95-100' MM Tower. The department is pretty small and we simply don't have the time or man power to do all the research that I think should be done before making a purchase of this magnitude. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your research? I understand what your department needs and wants is likely very different from mine. However your research appears to be an unbiased, fact based assessment of what is currently avialable on the market. I would greatly appreciate any information that you would be willing to pass along but understand if you don't feel comfortable doing so. Thanks,

jw

MembersZone Subscriber

fireflyfpe: We just replaced our 100 ft. stick with a midmount 93' platform. We too, did a lot of research and did a lot of convincing. Drop me a PM with an email address and you're welcome to have any of our info, use it, abuse or chuck it. But as you said a lot of detailed research is in order if you're thinking about switching. There are many details that don't seem to arise until you talk to some people who have switched or are users of the MM type units.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyfpe View Post
    Command 6,

My department is also looking into replacing a 75' RM ladder with a ~95-100' MM Tower. The department is pretty small and we simply don't have the time or man power to do all the research that I think should be done before making a purchase of this magnitude. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your research? I understand what your department needs and wants is likely very different from mine. However your research appears to be an unbiased, fact based assessment of what is currently avialable on the market. I would greatly appreciate any information that you would be willing to pass along but understand if you don't feel comfortable doing so. Thanks,

jw
    I don't mind at all.

I would prefer to email them. As professional as we are supposed to be in thie forums, there are those who would almost certainly use the objective and impartial information my group has collected to begin a urination competition.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    fireflyfpe: We just replaced our 100 ft. stick with a midmount 93' platform. We too, did a lot of research and did a lot of convincing. Drop me a PM with an email address and you're welcome to have any of our info, use it, abuse or chuck it. But as you said a lot of detailed research is in order if you're thinking about switching. There are many details that don't seem to arise until you talk to some people who have switched or are users of the MM type units.
    I'm guessing you purchased and ALF? How's my crystal ball?

Forum Member

Default Price Quote

I just received a quote from ALF : Eagle custom 134" cab, 75' Mid-mount aerial platform, no tank,no pump, 4 door enclosed air conditioned cab with seating for six (6) firefighters,(4- SCBA seats ),Detroit 60 515 HP engine,Allison EVS-P 4000 Trans, 20,000lb front axle, 48,000lb rear axle, battery charger with auto eject, aluminum fire body with left & right side compartments, internal ladder storage ,Harrison 6KW generator and cord reel, fully NFPA 1901 compliant, Base Cost $ 681,145.00 plus options !...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 04-29-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Forum Member

Smile

del'd Oct of 2005,
    $640,000.
    ok, it was del'd a yr and half ago, and bid a yr before that.

http://www.smeal.com/delivery.asp?pa...veries&did=335

Thread Information