Thread: The Law (FCC)

AlexYates
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default The Law (FCC)

Dose the FCC laws say that you can not get a 2m ham radio and put your county fire frequency in it? A lot of firefighters are doing it now...

Forum Member

No, I believe that would be a state law, regarding receiving public safety frequencies in your car. In NY its illegal to have a scanner in your vehicle, although its barely enforced. You can not transmit on a 2 meter radio outside of the 144-148mhz bands unless you are MARS/CAP member and even then the band limits are only up to 149mhz.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexYates View Post
    Dose the FCC laws say that you can not get a 2m ham radio and put your county fire frequency in it? A lot of firefighters are doing it now...
    TOO BAD YOU DON'T NEED IT ALEXYATES BECAUSE YOUR NOT A FIREFIGHTER JUST A LIAR! TAKE THE HINT KID

Forum Member

It is against the law to alter the radio DINGUS ............but since you are a commuinications director I thought you would know all that ........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

c'mon guys, cut alex some slack.......it's tough being a junior communications director with all the regulations on FRS radios, handling all the pagers and managing multiple online identities

Forum Member

You can not put a transmit frequency in a radio that is not type accepted for it. Most 2M radios are receive capable from 136-174, but you would need to modify the radio to make it transmit. Once the modification is performed, then it is no longer a legal radio, per FCC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCFDCAR5 View Post
    You can not put a transmit frequency in a radio that is not type accepted for it. Most 2M radios are receive capable from 136-174, but you would need to modify the radio to make it transmit. Once the modification is performed, then it is no longer a legal radio, per FCC.
    BING! Steel on target.

The aforementioned MARS/CAP "exception" (which no longer exists, BTW, CAP has mandated that all HTs and mobiles must now be NTIA-approved) exists solely because MARS/CAP falls under the NTIA (Nat'l Telecommunications Information Administration), not the FCC. The NTIA exists as a sort of "counterpart" for the FCC, but dealing strictly in spec'ing equipment and frequencies for use by the Federal Gov't, including the military (CAP, being the Air Force Auxiliary, is included, as is the USCG/USCG Aux). Needless to say, they operate under a different set of rules than does the FCC and consequently commercial and local government users.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

1) Yes, it does. Emergency tx frequencies may only be programmed into type accepted radio equipment.

2) The 2m amateur radio band does not cover the VHF emergency frequencies.

3) Amateur radios sometimes have extended rx-only band coverage that allows them to monitor emergency frequencies. IMHO, a scanner is a much more cost effective way to do that.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 02-15-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added #3
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    No, I believe that would be a state law,
    That would be incorrect. The FCC regulates that issue.

In NY its illegal to have a scanner in your vehicle,
    FWIW, not unless you have an amateur radio license. (The FCC license trumps the state law.)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hold on one minute, I'm confused

The last 4 posts have all regarded correct answers regarding radio frequencies etc.
    I thought our main purpose here was to crush Alex into submission.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LFD1MICHAEL View Post
    The last 4 posts have all regarded correct answers regarding radio frequencies etc.
    I thought our main purpose here was to crush Alex into submission.
    I suspect that, as long as he politely asks honest questions, listens to the answers, and stops making up fanciful stories about himself, he'll continue to get real answers.

AlexYates
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Thank you all for your help... I do know much about ham radios and how they work with the fire freq. If you log in tonight I am going to tell you all why I lied.... Thanks

AlexYates
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    I suspect that, as long as he politely asks honest questions, listens to the answers, and stops making up fanciful stories about himself, he'll continue to get real answers.
    Thanks for your help you helped a lot!!!!

Forum Member

In NY you are NOT allowed to intercept public safety frequencies in a vehicle regardless of ham lic. If you cross over from CT to NY and **** off some gung ho State Trooper you will be ticketed and or arrested. Especially with homeland security issues. I have my amateur lic and if I pull up some where and I see a cop I turn off the radio, just to avoid the questions. Not that I even listen to the police on my radio.

Ill find the CPL and post it after my EMT refresher class tonight.

Forum Member

In NY you are NOT allowed to intercept public safety frequencies in a vehicle regardless of ham lic.
    In this respect I believe you are mistaken. Federal licensure supercedes state law in that the state may not interfere with the operation of an FCC licensed station.

FWIW, NY has made arrests in these cases but, AFAIK, has never successfully prosecuted one. (It's unclear if they have ever even taken one to court.) Other states with "no scanner" laws have had similar results when attempting to regulate FCC licensed operators.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 02-15-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typo

MembersZone Subscriber

Default AlexYates

AlexYates has been banned for a period of thirty (30) days and the thread "i need a pager" has been deleted.
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcarey View Post
    AlexYates has been banned for a period of thirty (30) days and the thread "i need a pager" has been deleted.

Awww. thats sad. I hope he comes back with a new name... he entertained me.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

AlexYates
    Firehouse.com Guest

Alex Yates is still up here... I asked the webteam to take it off...

Forum Member

That's odd. Unless he posted something that I've missed he hasn't done anything I'd consider "ban-able". Heck, that thread was one of the more amusing discussions I've read here in ages.

Granted, the kid's a bit annoying at times but if that was sufficient criteria for banning half of the regulars would be gone...

More importantly, I see we have new additions to the active moderator staff. Perhaps it would be appropriate to introduce yourselves? (in a new thread, of course)

AlexYates
    Firehouse.com Guest

I lied to much but it is not going to happen no more... Who is Mike Hope I do not know hem and he dose not work for the rocky mount fire dept. "NO LIE"

Forum Member

My ham radio does the VHF fire frequencies just fine and legal. It just won't transmit on them.

Forum Member

I agree Deputy. I would like to know who we have as new moderators. The silly little bugger Alex provided me with lots of comical reading, too bad the thread was deleted, but luckily, HE'S BACK!!!

AlexYates
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I asked the webteam to take it off.... I lied to much in it!!! but I am sorry!

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I can't believe the "need a pager" thread is gone. 12+ pages of brothers and sisters banding together to teach a lesson

Now what happens at 4PM? Maybe Alex was really a Web Team moderator and the joke is on us!
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Thats interesting. He isn't banned and the pager thread is still here.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information