Default ? with hiring after probation

Hi this is my first post, I am guilty of reading the forums and never joining!! Anyways On to my question that hopefully someone can help me with.

I am currently 27, I am starting EMT class in March and I really want to be a fire fighter, I know I made a huge mistake in my life and Im scared it will effect me being hired.

I was arrested and convicted for Felony Possion of Cannibus with Intent when I was 25 and placed on Probation for 4 years and had Adjud Withheld so I can seal the record. I get off in 11 Month on good behavior. I have also expermented with Steroids, but never completed a full cycle. I also tried pot 1 time in high school, with the exception of traffic tickets, I have never been in trouble before. I know with a sealed record it will still come up in the background and I plan on being straight forward with the arrest, it was a desperate stupid mistake I can make all kinds of excuses for.

Do you think with a sealed record and very little drug expermenting I still have a solid decent chance at being hired after i complete my EMT Paramedic and Fire cert?

I know I really screwed up. But I really want this for my future along with my Fiance. and I know I will only have about 3 years under my belt after the mistake when i finish all my courses.

Thank You for all who respond!

Forum Member

To be perfectly honest with you Thunderas, with a Felony conviction in your past, it doesn't sound too good for you. Not to get you down, that's just the way it is. Most places won't touch a person with a felony conviction. I'm not sure how it will work if the record is sealed when you complete probation. Some places use polygraph's in their process, and I think that may present you with a problem, not sure if you have to tell them about a sealed record. On my job, they would not hire a person with a Felony conviction. I have heard of places that have, although I don't know the circumstances. I can tell you that you must be honest when going for a job as a FF/Medic, because if they find out later down the road that you lied on an application, you will be fired. I have seen it happen to guys that lied about misdemeanors, tickets, you name it. Put some more time between your past indiscretions and see what happens. There are some guys on here that are background investigator's, chiefs, etc. Maybe they can offer you some insight..

I understand, However I wasnt convicted, I had Adjud witheld, which means they withheld the guilty conviction after I serve my probation sentence. From there I will have the case sealed since it was my first and only offence besides some traffic violations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't get to discouraged from the previous post. Many departments will still look at you especially is the record is sealed. Talked to a lawyer about getting the conviction expunged.

The problem you will have as stated in the previous post is many dept. use some sort of of polygraph test. They will ask you about drug use. Don't lie. The polygraph test is about honesty not about what you did. If you lie and they find out your done. If you tell the truth, then the dept may look at how long ago things happened and what you have done to ensure you have know more problems.

You should probably check with your state EMS agency about paramedic licensure also. Some states will not let you be a paramedic with a recent drug conviction. Better to know before spending to much time in class.

The main thing is time. After five years with a clean record a dept. may look at you. Bust your butt to show the dept. you are not the person who was using drugs anymore.

Good luck
    Mike
    Fire Captain

MembersZone Subscriber

I can share with you that do I complete backgrounds on prospective new hires. While people will tell you that you can seal your record, I assure you that there is NO SUCH THING AS A SEALED RECORD when it comes to public safety.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

I know this, I seem to have a 2-3 day hold on my posts, I ment to say I was not convicted. I have withheld ajudification. That should make a differance right?
    And the sealed record is for my own purpose. This is a embaresment to myself. and I plan on wiping it clean. I plan on being perfectly upfront and honest. My Fiance is a forensic psychologist, so I understand how polys work. I dont want to lie or hde anything I learned from my mistake before I was arrested. I knew it while I was doing it and hated myself for it. Again Im not sure that all matters this is just kinda my own self rant towards myself for being in this sitation I guess! lol I respect all comments and helpfull insight you guys give me, Thank You Again.

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    I can share with you that do I complete backgrounds on prospective new hires. While people will tell you that you can seal your record, I assure you that there is NO SUCH THING AS A SEALED RECORD when it comes to public safety.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information