Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Hhmmm What They Are Not Reporting

Is that a 911 page went out for a water/ice rescue for the dog and "rescuer".....

Good Samaritan Plucks Dog From Freezing Waters
    Family Calls Man Hero

POSTED: 7:35 pm EST February 14, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:11 pm EST February 14, 2007

ANNANDALE, Va. -- A man is called a hero after diving into frigid waters to save a family's dog that broke through thin ice on Lake Braddock in Annandale Wednesday morning.

Witnesses said the dog named Maximo broke through the ice while chasing geese just before noon. They said the dog managed to stay above the water for about 5 minutes before starting to go under.

Stunned witnesses said a total stranger then jumped into the water to save the animal.

"One gentleman decided he would rescue the dog because the dog had been in there several minutes by then. So, he actually went into the water, went up to about chest deep," said witness Robin Laffosse.

Once the man grabbed Maximo, neighbors that had gathered in the area then threw out a chain of coats tied together to retrieve him from the lake.

The 45-year-old man was treated in an ambulance before being taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital Center, News4's Michael Flynn reported.

"Amazing, it's just amazing. There's nothing else to say. It was amazing. I don't know a lot of people who would have done it, because I was sad for the dog, but I wouldn't have got into the water," said witness Monica Haynes.

"Some brave guy went in there and it wasn't even his dog," said Laffosse. "I wouldn't have done it. I mean, it all worked out really well, but it might not have."

The family that owns the dog said they are grateful.

"I'm happy, very happy," said the dog's owner.

"That was great. He's a hero," said another family member.

The Good Samaritan and the dog are both said to be OK.

Rescue officials said this incident stresses the importance of everyone, including animals, staying off the ice this time of year.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.

And this story comes out literally on the heels of the NBC4 news broadcast from the night before. FX Co FD did an ice rescue demonstration/drill on Tuesday afternoon. During the broadcast, they discussed the dangers of walking on iced lakes and waterways, with emphasis about the recent weather we've had, and with live demonstrations of how unpredictable the ice really is.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Someone once told me, "There are two kinds of heroes - those who are extremely good at what they do and those who are extremely foolish."

I leave it to the reader to decide which category this guy falls into...

Forum Member

Cool

Some people just have a strong sense of urgency. It's either a strong sense to do the foolish but but brave thing and for others it's just a sense of having to go to the bathroom.

Forum Member

Of course in other news a 12 year old boy drowns trying to save his 8 year old brother who had fallen through the ice in a storm water pond near Cambridge MD last Sunday.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Of course in other news a 12 year old boy drowns trying to save his 8 year old brother who had fallen through the ice in a storm water pond near Cambridge MD last Sunday.
    Ya, I heard and read about that one too. Figured it was too sad to make post on though.

Wittmer
    Firehouse.com Guest

On a positive note: On Wednesday, Feb. 14th,The Mt. Laurel Fire Dept., Burlington County, NJ, made a successful rescue of a 12 year old boy who had fallen through the ice into a pond. He was in cardiac arrest when removed from the water but was revived by the time he arrived at the hospital.
    See the story here

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench View Post
    Some people just have a strong sense of urgency. It's either a strong sense to do the foolish but but brave thing and for others it's just a sense of having to go to the bathroom.
    You mean like those that while you're putting on your nitrile goves and asking if the patient wants to be treated,are the ones trying to find out "Do you even know what you're doing?Man's bleeding here!".

Thread Information