Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Boat Explosion Video

Not a firefighter but a lifeguard wearing the Turnout to set aboat on fire during a training exercise. I guess that is gasoline he is pouring on the boat judging by the explosion. Cant believe this guy made it out alive.

View the video at:
    http://fire-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452

Forum Member

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn!
    The Good Lord really does look after fools and drunks.Which one is this guy?
    I think I'd soak the boat with gasoline,shove it off and either throw a railroad flare into it or use a flare gun to start the fire onboard,instead.Anything to keep me away from things that go"BOOOM!" on a boat.

Forum Member

Great, got a guy who knows nothing about fire or boats trying to set one off. Those of use who have gasoline inboards know all too well that the depicted video could happen. I'm not sure why they thought that gasoline would have done otherwise. Diesel would have been less spectacular.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn!
    The Good Lord really does look after fools and drunks.Which one is this guy?
    I think I'd soak the boat with gasoline,shove it off and either throw a railroad flare into it or use a flare gun to start the fire onboard,instead.Anything to keep me away from things that go"BOOOM!" on a boat.
    Definitely an appropriate reply ! LOL

Even though he wasnt on the job - good think he was alright. Imagine if they didnt give him a set of turnout gear to wear when he was lighting it off? Picture that lifeguard wearing a speedo or something when that happened.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron19 View Post
    Picture that lifeguard wearing a speedo or something when that happened.
    I'll pass. I don't want to picture that...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Default Explosions

Ok guy sets boat on fire with gasoline, while hes on it, OK do we nsee the moral problem here. Thgis guy should be the recempiont of the "HERES YOUR SIGN" AWARDS!!!!!

Not a very good situation at all! Why was this person "with no fire training" in fire dept turn out gear? I think I have seen this on tv a few times though and I do believe they said the person was a ff though. Even if the person is a ff it still was a bonehead thing to do!

How many times will this idiot blow himself up on the Firehouse Forums before he learns.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Because I'm sure they did it for years with Diesel and along the way someone who didn't understand the critical difference between flammable and combustible liquids thought the old farts had been using Gasoline. Then one day they decided they themself was qualified to wing a training burn like this.

I'd also assume he travelled out there with the gasoline in an unapproved container (a five gallon pail) exposing his co-workers to the risk of a flash fire.

BTW...even if you're going to use a combustible liquid as an accelerant on a demolition burn...for cripes sake just throw a road flare in from a safe place...like the other boat.

The positively worse version of this video I've seen is one from a State fire training agency where the speaker went on about how this shows how important it is to always were your full PPE properly, blah blah blah...

And never discussed the difference between combustible and flammable which is important for firefighters to understand (see video), nor provided common sense advise like not standing in the small boat you're setting on fire. Hey, but go ahead and be a dumbass who doesn't understand this business -- just make sure you're wearing your PPE properly.
    Last edited by Dalmatian190; 02-15-2007 at 05:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190 View Post
    for cripes sake just throw a road flare in from a safe place...like the other boat.
    maybe his aim is a little off and he could never hit the boat!!! hahaha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    I think I have seen this on tv a few times though and I do believe they said the person was a ff though. Even if the person is a ff it still was a bonehead thing to do!
    I believe I saw this on Real TV also. Now that you say that, I do remember them saying he was an FF and Life Guard.

If he is an FF, I want to stay away from him as much as I do AlexYates
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Here's a video of a fire department doing a live burn on a house and the department uses some sort of class a fuel and a flare to ignite the fire in the crawl space of the house.
    Well... you can guess what happens.
    I'm sure this is a repost too... this video's been around for a while. Sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSpoUUFBBM

Atleast this guy tries to use a flare.
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 02-16-2007 at 04:42 PM.
    Firefighter/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber

So that's what AlexYates would look like in bunker gear....and look here...he's making entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f66tK0rByI

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFW333 View Post
    So that's what AlexYates would look like in bunker gear....and look here...he's making entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f66tK0rByI
    ROFL-LMAO! He even knows how to put on an SCBA... interesting. He knows how to don the SCBA but can't open the valve on the dang hose?? Wow.
    Firefighter/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice classic. I love how some other boat zips past shortly after, looking important but accomplishing precisely nothing but making a wake. Yeah, you're a key contributor, what would we do without you?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Thread Information