Thread: Looking for N5A

Forum Member

Default Looking for N5A

I currently own an ball cap N5A New Yorker that was made in the early 80's. Yesterday we had 2 working fires and due to the high heat in the first one, the leather became extremely cracked on the brim, causing a large amount of wire to become exposed.

I was considering just getting a new helmet instead of attempting to repair it. With that said, is anyone possibly selling a 90's Cairns N5A New Yorker, size medium?

Thanks, and yes I always keep a close look on ebay, but sadly there isn't a lot of options available at the moment.

Thanks again.

Chris Abbott

Forum Member

Also, had anyone had any experience fixing such damage on leathers? I have used high-temp silicon in the past to fill small cracks, but this isn't exactly the same thing. I have heard of people using Bondo or a Bondo-like substance.

Anyone with experience, please post.

Forum Member

I saw a great repair the other day at 75 Engine. The officer had put the rubber surrond like that which is on those bullard junk lids around his helmet, it looked good. Also have seen some guys put bondo around it, or this epoxy stuff I cant remember the name of it, I am sure someone will post it. If the bullard stuff doesnt work, get metal impregnated rubber trim from a good auto parts store (not autozone) I am sure they sell it by the foot for weather striping for cars.

Forum Member

PC-7 epoxy maybe?

Thread Information