Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Jersey

  1. #226

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    What goin on guys? im new to the forum and have only been following for the last couple of days. I'm also a hudson country resident and like you guys, extremly impatient. would be nice if everything moved faster. Leatherneck: you said that you passed on Harrison? If you dont mind, what number on the list were you? Do you by any chanc now anything more about how its going? If anyone has any information on any other cities, please share. thanks guys. good luck

  2. #227
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Leather,

    The teamwork (video portion) of the test has alot to do with the job of a fireman!! The point of this portion of the test was to see if you are a team player and nice to the public, which I beleive has alot to do with the job.

    I do agree that the military men are very well disciplined (although I personally know alot of hot heads with short tempers) but I also agree that non-military civilians are capable of being just as diciplined.

    You also said "In my opinion the veterans should be held to much higher physical fitness standards than the rest of the group" ... there was a marine that couldn't complete the stairs portion in the Newark test center.

    tonyda had some good points, without the vet points the vets on the newark list would be wayyyy on back of the line.. how many points do vets actually get?

    You got a letter from Harrison and didn't accept? ... wow... Jersey City isn't gauranteed, why would you pass up on a gauranteed position? What rank are you on for JC? I'm at a very nice rank on Newark but if Harrison calls me first then I gotta do what I gotta do to secure my career, even though I love the city I live in very dearly. Good luck on JC and keep us updated!

  3. #228
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Harrison is a damn good FD (so is JCFD). I hope you don't lose in your little game of "Deal or No Deal."

    BTW, if you guys are so upset about the veteran's preference rules, I suggest two things; write to your congress people to get the civil service rules changed by legislation (not going to happen) or trot your *** down to the recruiting station and sign up. In a couple of years you will be a veteran.

    Meanwhile, when you see those vets, walk up to them and thank them for their service.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  4. #229
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104

    Default

    True that, Vets deserve the points they get. Without them we'd be in big trouble..

    Back in '98 I tried joining the Marines, Army and Navy but was rejected one after another since I just got through with Cancer.. sucks since it was something I always wanted to do growing up, but I can't complain much, I've actually been pretty successful in the Information Technology field.

    George, can having a medical history be problematic for me when and if I get to the hiring phase? Cancer, from 1995-1998.

    Thnx

  5. #230
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    i got my letter for certification in newark. anyone else receive theirs.. i am 82 on the liast and got a letter to send in a letter to the business administrator to let him know i was interested in the position. any info? anybody receieve one?

  6. #231
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    Leather,

    The teamwork (video portion) of the test has alot to do with the job of a fireman!! The point of this portion of the test was to see if you are a team player and nice to the public, which I beleive has alot to do with the job.

    I do agree that the military men are very well disciplined (although I personally know alot of hot heads with short tempers) but I also agree that non-military civilians are capable of being just as diciplined.

    You also said "In my opinion the veterans should be held to much higher physical fitness standards than the rest of the group" ... there was a marine that couldn't complete the stairs portion in the Newark test center.

    tonyda had some good points, without the vet points the vets on the newark list would be wayyyy on back of the line.. how many points do vets actually get?

    You got a letter from Harrison and didn't accept? ... wow... Jersey City isn't gauranteed, why would you pass up on a gauranteed position? What rank are you on for JC? I'm at a very nice rank on Newark but if Harrison calls me first then I gotta do what I gotta do to secure my career, even though I love the city I live in very dearly. Good luck on JC and keep us updated!

    Yeah I am willing to put all my eggs in one basket for JCFD. I'm in a very good position on the list to make that desicion. The vets don't get anymore points than the regular applicants, what they do is rank them as vets, so if a vet had a 98% he would be 1st on the list and if there was only one other vet and he had the minimum passing score he would be 2nd on the list. As for the Marine who couldn't pass the stair climb all I can say is that not only looks bad on him but the Marine Corps as a whole or he probably wasn't even a Marine who knows. He also could of been out for a number of years and let himself go i.e. not working out. I was in the infantry so being physically fit is just a way of life, something that is instilled in you if that makes any sense. No matter where you go or what job you are doing there will always be people that just slip by, its a fact of life. Thanks for sharing your point of view and goodluck on Newark keep us posted. BTW Harrison didn't call they send you a letter and you have to write back to the mayor within five days of the notice date stating wether or not you want the position. Don't decline the offer, that could possibly take you off other lists as well, simply state that you cannot accept the job at this time and you would like your name to still be on the list. Also send a copy of the letter you write to DOP as well so there is proof that you wrote it and stated you wanted to be passed over this time around. I talked to DOP and they said that was perfectly fine. Goodluck on Newark, if you are also high on the list for Harrison you should be getting a letter soon. My letter was certified on the 22nd of JAN.

  7. #232
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Harrison is a damn good FD (so is JCFD). I hope you don't lose in your little game of "Deal or No Deal."

    BTW, if you guys are so upset about the veteran's preference rules, I suggest two things; write to your congress people to get the civil service rules changed by legislation (not going to happen) or trot your *** down to the recruiting station and sign up. In a couple of years you will be a veteran.

    Meanwhile, when you see those vets, walk up to them and thank them for their service.
    I definatley didn't compromise myself for Jersey City, read my reply to another thread on this page. I am also a firm beleiver in veterans preference, I was just throwing some ideas out there for making the rules a little more fair for the non vets.

  8. #233
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    True that, Vets deserve the points they get. Without them we'd be in big trouble..

    Back in '98 I tried joining the Marines, Army and Navy but was rejected one after another since I just got through with Cancer.. sucks since it was something I always wanted to do growing up, but I can't complain much, I've actually been pretty successful in the Information Technology field.

    George, can having a medical history be problematic for me when and if I get to the hiring phase? Cancer, from 1995-1998.

    Thnx
    Man you are one very lucky individual to win the fight against cancer and still be in good health. I hope everything works out for you what department did you go for? Goodluck and keep us posted when you hear something.

  9. #234
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104

    Default

    I'm in for Newark, very great rank # on the list.. I heard a few people already got their certification letters for Newark so once I get home I will check the mail, hopefully I'm low enough on the list to get one for this class...

    G'luck to all

  10. #235
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    hazdan why dont you send me a private message as to who u know got a cert letter i will look them up on the list and tell you where they rank this way we know about how far down the list they went already. bying of course thier not ranked 1 or 2

  11. #236
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104

    Default

    I got my cert ... !!

  12. #237
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    hazdan why dont you send me a private message as to who u know got a cert letter i will look them up on the list and tell you where they rank this way we know about how far down the list they went already. bying of course thier not ranked 1 or 2
    that's a great idea, id like to know that as well

  13. #238
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    I got my cert ... !!
    that's awesome man, congratulations. hey so is it just newark getting the certs right now so far? or is everywhere gonna start. cause i haven't gotten anything from north hudson, im worried. by the way hazdan what was your rank?

  14. #239
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    hey thats great hazdan happy to see thing are moving right along i had been told sometime around march they would be puting in a class. if you got a letter already sounds like their right on schedule.you keep telling us your in a great place under 100 i think you said but now that you got the cert letter can you tell us exactly your rank ? why are you being so secrative about it ? where all hear to keep each other inform and you being one of the few people who posts often i would think you would want to help the rest of us stay informed

  15. #240
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    thanks portugafd for leting us know. so up to 82 people got their cert letter andybody else with a lower rank get theirs ? still hoping to get one.

    is their a dead line to respond ?
    Last edited by tonyda; 02-15-2008 at 10:22 AM.

  16. #241
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default cert

    the letter said i had to take the letter in five business days. What does this mean for us now?

  17. #242
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    purtgu : i cant respond to your pm you have your private messages off

  18. #243
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default pm

    sorry tony...try it now. if not my email is danny0812@hotmail.com

  19. #244
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    hey thats great hazdan happy to see thing are moving right along i had been told sometime around march they would be puting in a class. if you got a letter already sounds like their right on schedule.you keep telling us your in a great place under 100 i think you said but now that you got the cert letter can you tell us exactly your rank ? why are you being so secrative about it ? where all hear to keep each other inform and you being one of the few people who posts often i would think you would want to help the rest of us stay informed


    in defense to dan, i feel your rank is secret until you are appointed then i feel it doesnt really matter.

    This job is beyond very competitive and i have heard stories of "taking people out" of their eligibility if they are ahead of them on the list.

    we are on the same team and its sounds great in theory, but your rank is one thing you should be secret about when it comes to this job. it is public information but regardless it should be protected until appointment.


    ok with my knowledge of atlantic city, Investigations are being wrapped up on the 50 certified and they should send approx 30 to the acadamy march 10.

    I will certainly keep you informed as i hear more.

    good luck

  20. #245
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe14 View Post
    Whats going on guys? I'm new to this forum and have only been following for the last couple of days. Im also a hudson country resident and like all you guys, extremely impatient. It would be nice if this whole process went a little faster. I was just curious to see where everyone stood as far as the hiring process. Leatherneck: you say you passed up Harrison? If you dont mind, what number on the list were you? do you have any idea where they might end? if anyone has any information on any other towns, please share. thanks a lot guys. Good luck
    I didnt pass it up, read the reply I wrote to Hazardousdan this is how you should go about doing it if you are waiting to get on another department. I don't know how many peope they are going to hire.

  21. #246
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    I got my cert ... !!
    Congrats man! Keep us updated on how the process works from here out I'm sure we all would like to know.

  22. #247
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    This job is beyond very competitive and i have heard stories of "taking people out" of their eligibility if they are ahead of them on the list.


    well if their ahead of them on the list their ahead of them. and maybe that happens in those smaller departments where nepotism runs ramped. but I doubt they would try anything like that in Newark. they would surly be asking for a nice lawsuit on their hands if they did. this is why njdop and ndoj form the lists

  23. #248
    Some Guy

    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    I don't know but I here laughing.
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    This job is beyond very competitive and i have heard stories of "taking people out" of their eligibility if they are ahead of them on the list.


    well if their ahead of them on the list their ahead of them. and maybe that happens in those smaller departments where nepotism runs ramped. but I doubt they would try anything like that in Newark. they would surly be asking for a nice lawsuit on their hands if they did. this is why njdop and ndoj form the lists
    Don't believe the hype. Worry about your self. If you start to get bogged down with this crap you are done for.

    By the way Hoboken class starts next week.
    This space for rent

  24. #249
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    its not a matter about worrying about myself. I could care less that he is in front of me. its just a matter of being informed and that's what this forum is about. lets say hazdan was #100 and I was ranked #95 now he has claimed to have gotten a letter. one would think the only reason I didn't get a letter was because either they mailed it to the wrong place got lost in the mail or something just happened that shouldn't have. the city does not give brakes when it comes to these jobs if the letter says you must respond within 5 days like Portuga told me then is means 5 days no exceptions. I know this for a fact I had friends who got passed up for the police academy in Newark because this very reason. they didn't care if you didnt check your mail or claim you never got it. they don't even bother to send it registered mail witch makes it worse so no record . and after waiting now well over year that would be a dumb way to get passed up

  25. #250
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    42

    Default

    I agree, with what was said about Bayonne. It seems as though everything over there is in disarray, even their police department. I would not be surprised at all if it were true that they were going paid/vol. Thank God for Jersey City. If I would have known that you could test for more than one city, I would have tested for West Orange.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-25-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 04:47 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 08-03-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 08:09 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 03-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 12:29 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 02-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 11:23 PM
  5. Let's Hear it for New Jersey!
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 09:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register