Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Forum Member

So what did Newark go upto with certs? 100 or so? Any rumors of an academy class? I assume the usual 30-50?

Forum Member

well 82 definitely but I could see them doing 100 sounds like a nice round number. a few people have told me 15-20 probably just vets then maybe a larger class the following year. but they have always done 30+ in each graduating class don't see why they would change it up . and people do forget its just as hard to get into the academy as it is to graduate its not guarantied that all the people who pass the background checks graduate the academy

Forum Member

True indeed, but I imagine that you would have to be a really big screwup to not graduate the academy.

Forum Member

guys who got the cert letters any updates ? i heard from a high up 15-20 next class. mostly becasue barley any guys retired this year

Forum Member

Newark certified very close to 100 2 weeks ago... some guys already got invitations for orientation March 1st... don't know how many got the letter and I have gotten mixed numbers on how many they are going to hire. I heard 17, 25, 35, 40, 45, all within the past month... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck to everyone

Forum Member

Keep the information flowing, usually after you send your cert letter back to a city/town I think most people hear back in about 1-2 months asking for you to come down and get a packet to fill out....and then about a month or 2 after that for processing and such....so I would think academy class sometime end of April to end of June...if I had to bet money on it, I would think end of June

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone hear anything on Jersey City?

Forum Member

No. They are really starting to annoy me with this snail *** pace.

Forum Member

From what I hear out of Newark, they certified 100 off the list..and plan to put 20 firefighters on sometime around March,April, or May'ish....to the people who got thier cert letters for Newark and are waiting for a response it takes 2-4 weeks from what I am old after you respond....

Forum Member

you guys are getting your info twisted. they didn't certifie anybody. what they did was they sent a letter to the first 100 people on newarks list asking them if they still wanted the job to respond back to newarks business administrator with a written request in 5 days. then based on how many people returned the letters they will send a certain amount (( not everybody)) of those people who returned the letter to another place where they will fill out a massive job application . and then this is where the weeding out processes will start. with this first step. my definition of certified would be when you pass all their checks and are just waiting to get called into the academy

Forum Member

Tonyda, you're definition of "certified" is flawed. When the list is established by the NJDOP the city does not have the list to starting hiring off of, etc.. etc.. etc......What they do is they tell the NJDOP they are looking to hire firefighters and to give them the top xyz candidates (in this case the top 100), the city is given the names and information of those 100 people....The city then sends a letter to those 100 candidates asking them if they are interested in the job still.....What this means is the city "certified" the list and pulled 100 names off it for an upcoming class. That is why we call it a "certification letter" it is the same way for the NJDOP Law Enforcement exam as well.

In short, that letter means the city has contacted the NJDOP and certified names off the list for an upcoming class they want to put on.....Why doesn't the city just have the full list and hire off of it as they wish without going back and forth to the NJ DOP you ask? Well this is New Jersey, i'm sure you know why :-D

Hope I cleared that up.

Forum Member

thanks for repeating what i said. i'm just saying guys are jumping for joy because they got a letter thats great but it dosent mean you got the job their not even close to it yet its just a little baby step. thats all i was trying to say. out of those 100 or so letters they sent they probably only got back maybe 80 who knows. and out of those 80 who replyed they only sent out more additional info to 50 to fill out the bigger job application and out of those 50 mabye 30 will actualy pass the background checks and out of 30 the city will only hire maybe the 20 thier looking for and put the other 10 who in my "definiton" would be certified back on the shelf and have them wait for the next go around.. i spoke to somone who got on in the last class in may and this is how he explained it to me

Forum Member

Correct, the first 100 or so did get a "certification letter", although it is a step closer in the process, it does not mean you got the job. I myself got the certification letter asking if I was still interested to return the letter in 5 days or less, however, I did not get a letter for the orientation. I will probably see the orientation letter over the next year, hopefully less, however, I know how the game works.

tonyda, so your friend got on the last class? I beleive that was the 3rd class from the last list, he must of been in the 200-300's on that list.. hopefully it goes that high this time around..

As always, Good luck to everyone!

Forum Member

he was in the 150's if i remember correctly. but he told me he was right in the beging so he just missed the second class but was in the top 5 to get called for the third class on the list.

Forum Member

I know someone who got in the 3rd class which graduated with 41 from Bergen County Fire Academy, prob the same person i know :-)

Forum Member

anybody notice how the dop web site has changed the next test date for enrtry level firefighter announcment from spring of April of 08 to December of 08/ January 09 . I would think this is a good sign for whom ever is still on the current lists

Forum Member

Tony,

Where do you see that?

http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...ghter_opps.htm

EDIT: ahh nevermind i found it, Under March Report:

http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...ers_titles.htm
    Last edited by NVetro; 03-01-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Forum Member

Default Oral Board

Hey, does Jersey City do an oral board?

Some Guy

No. No civil service cities in NJ do a oral board like other states do.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Any idea as to why?

Forum Member

ran into a newark firefighter the other day and asked if the fd had hired any new firefighters yet. he told me that they where about to put in a class of all vets. are they in the acadamy already or in the prossess anybody know? and also did they put in all 32 that where on the list for newark or did some get kicked off ?

Forum Member

My buddy is a vet on this newark list under #10, he handed in his background packet the other day.

Forum Member

They must be putting in alot of guys because there are some non-vets in the upper 30's that went to orientation and doing the background packet now

Forum Member

Someone said there are 32 or so vets on the list....if they are hiring 20 or so, its more then likley they will start dipping into the non-vets portion of the list...I think the ratio is 1:2 or 1:3 (somewhere in between)...so to get 20 historicly, they will prob goto 40 or 60, maybe even a bit higher.

Some Guy

I know a few guys that scored higher then some vets. Hence, they have lower numbers.
    This space for rent

Thread Information