Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    they went up to number 37 on the list i received way back in december. Their are two names that where not on the list i had requested. 12 where vets 6 civilans. the one woman who got in she the sister of the only other active newark woman firefighter.
    She is her sister? Wow thats a cool thing... do you know if she is a vet or civilian?

Forum Member

its say civilan pmed you dan
    Last edited by tonyda; 04-04-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    its say civilan pmed you dan
    Wow, she must have done super great on all 3 sections of testing... I know someone in the 40's that did very close to perfect on all 3 areas so for this female to do better she must have been super... I wonder how she scored on the physical

Forum Member

ooopss i miss understood the woman recruit she is not related to the other woman newark firefighter what i ment to say is that her brother is a newark firefighter

Forum Member

I hear they are starting the academy the 7th, not sure if its this month or next. I also heard 18 or 19 though I have the new NJDOP Newark FD list being mailed to me next week....i'll post the new info and compare with you Tonyda :-) See how many candidates they went through to get those 18/19.

Forum Member

i know i have the dop list the last recruit that got in was number 37 on the list i got back in december. the thing is that are 2 recruits that got in that did not show up on the list i have. i dont like the fact that the can add names to it. how many more names where added after i got my rank ? if the list is final well then it final if its not then dont release it.
    Last edited by tonyda; 04-04-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Forum Member

??????????

MembersZone Subscriber

You know Dash, you're right.

All you guys nned to go to www.eatstress.com. This is the premeire fire employment site on the net. The only way you are going to get "on the job" is to religiously follow every one of the Capt. Bob and FF Rob's directions. You need to make sure you buy every tape and CD, and attend at least one seminar. Remember, they have heled more people get FF jobs than any other human being on earth. The more stuff you buy, the more chance you have of getting "on the job". Go for it, kids.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Those classes do give you an advantage when it comes to civil service police and fire jobs. I know this for a fact, I know several people who took these prep courses and have gotten on the job in both police and fire. They have all told me if they did not take the course they would have went into the exam with a totally different mind set, and prob. not done as well.

Also a majority of those prep courses for fire give you not only in class tips and study guides but ALSO a physical agility prep course.....Not every town like Jersey City, Newark, etc... have a city run obstical course you can run weeks/months in advance before the exam to prepare, that alone is worth it.....

It's a tool to give you an advantage over random_candidate_005
    Last edited by NVetro; 04-05-2008 at 07:35 AM.

Forum Member

the website is no good for people who take the test in new jersey. It would be a bad idea to have to go thre a oral board in new jersey their is already enough coruption in the state. and those oral boards are all about favortisim

Forum Member

I agree 100% Tony, towns that do chiefs tests use the "oral board" as a loop hole to hire whoever they want becuase they can say 1000 different reasons why xyz candidate was better then xyz, its their word agianst the candidate. I am sure EVERYONE would agree with that one, granted its A LOT more evident in smaller towns...but then again I am sure their are larger cities and towns that have oral boards, like LAFD and FDNY which do not have those types of issues.

Forum Member

Tonyda, with regard to the 2 people that you say were put on that were not on you're original list from back in Dec. I was thinking about it today and they could possibly be candidates from the last examination list that has an issue with their background investigation and had to sue to get on the dept....i've heard and met people that had to do that.

They could ALSO be candidates that were on this list, but for some reason their scores were wrong and after they were recalculated they were put into their proper position. You have a period of time where you can dispute you're scores with the NJDOP right after you get you're ranking/score.

Just a thought

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NVetro View Post
    Tonyda, with regard to the 2 people that you say were put on that were not on you're original list from back in Dec. I was thinking about it today and they could possibly be candidates from the last examination list that has an issue with their background investigation and had to sue to get on the dept....i've heard and met people that had to do that.

They could ALSO be candidates that were on this list, but for some reason their scores were wrong and after they were recalculated they were put into their proper position. You have a period of time where you can dispute you're scores with the NJDOP right after you get you're ranking/score.

Just a thought
    Your first guess is correct

Forum Member

Figured it was that :-)

Forum Member

so they sent out those 100 cert letters asking people if they still wanted the job to respond to it within 5 days. but they only needed to go up to number 37 or 39 what ever way you want to look at. but if you where ranked lets say 75 and didnt respond to the letter where you kicked off the dop list ? or will they resend letters again but this time starting from rank 38 and thus sending another letter to number 75 or would they just bypass them because they never responded to the first letter ?

Forum Member

From my understanding, if you do not respond to the letter the city notifies the NJDOP that you are not interested and you are removed from the current active list. That being said, I do not believe you would get another cert letter next time around as you would not be on the list. That's how it is for police, i'm sure its the same for fire.

Forum Member

tony,

Nvetro is correct, if people never replied back then they are removed from the NJDOP list and will not get any further announcements for the hiring process. For the people that did get the innitial cert letter, but did not get hired yet (like myself), will get another cert letter in the future if they hire again...

Good luck to all

Forum Member

Spoke to my buddy on the job in Newark...The city hired a total of 20 (2 of them form the old list, 2 of them being women), they started the academy this past Monday...they are going to Morris County Fire Academy...they went somewhere in the high 40's to get them, about 46-49 or somewhere around that.

Rumor is possible class later in the year, closer to 2009

Forum Member

they went up to number 37 on the list the 2:1 ratio was about right and the 39th class was made up of 19 people 18 men one woman 2 are from the last list only one woman i did hear that more would be put on in 6 months but newarks propsed budget only has an increse of 39 firefighter over their current staff so with 19 in alrady that would leave 20 more . but with promotions and guys retiring who know they might put in a far larger class i hope
    check out the link

http://www.ci.newark.nj.us/press/may...ril_3_2008.php
    Last edited by tonyda; 04-09-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Forum Member

hmmm......I guess we are close enough, we know the rough number they went up to :-) I'll chime in if i hear anything else.....

Tonyda: I was rereading you're post, I think you're a little off with the budgeted number for new hires in 2008....in 2007 the city has 670 fire fighters.....the mayor proposed 2008 budget numbers called for that to be raised to 714 in 2008....thats 44 fire fighters.......19 on...thats 25 Every little bit helps.
    Last edited by NVetro; 04-09-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Seems like other departments are moving right along. Anyone have scoop on North Hudson hiring? When? How many?

Forum Member

I heard they are planing on putting on 50 off this list total (2 year list).....if you are #50 and under on the current list take 7 numbers off your number as there were 7 candidates hired off the last list who took this exam again...so if you're 50, you are actually 43 before all the cert letters, backgrounds, etc.. etc.. etc..

Enjoy

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone here know or heard anything about Jersey City? I heard maybe towards the summer they want to put a class through?

Forum Member

I am wondering the same thing. I wonder how deep Jersey City will go on this list, being that they have had enough time to get ready. My gut feeling is that they will increase the number of firefighters with all of the new high rises going up and what not.

Forum Member

Places like Jersey City, Newark, North Hudson (large departments) will always put firefighters on. If not "new firefighters" to raise their numbers they will it for replenishing the people who retire and who get promoted. Newark and Jersey City usually put 50+ on off at the least a list (hell last list Newark put 128'ish on), North Hudson is usually between 20 and 50 from what i've seen.

Thread Information