Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Forum Member

heard thru the grape vines from a BC that in november Newark will be putting on 14 guys...anyone hear anything or see anything...when the helll is that adopted budget coming out?..its September already!!!

Forum Member

Portugafd, I recently heard the same, just didn't think it was solid considering the hiring freeze in the city and finance control by the state. Hopefully this goes thru

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jersey City

I've heard many rumors about Jersey City hiring, probably same kind that the Newark guys are hearing . I've been told that JCFD was going to have an academy in July, obviuosly never happened. Has anyone tried to contact the local firefighters union maybe they would know? I cant see Newark and Jersey City taking this long to hire. Newark atleast put a class through already and JCFD has done nothing. The wait is the worst part, but once you get on the job you'll look back and laugh about it. Goodluck to everyone

Forum Member

Just curious... is there any set dates for testing in Jersey City? Couldn't find any online. I'm currently in college, but wanna start taking tests to get the experience, and see where it takes me.

Forum Member

i did notice how newark has moved the next projected announcement from january of 09 to febuary of 09. the longer they dealy the next test the better it is for the guys who are on the current waiing list

Forum Member

anyone know what kind of info is needed for the initial cherry hill application?

in my experience when you sign up to take the test, its basically name, address and a money order, then later you fill out references etc... or will i need this all when i turn in the initial app???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Just curious... is there any set dates for testing in Jersey City? Couldn't find any online. I'm currently in college, but wanna start taking tests to get the experience, and see where it takes me.
    I havent checked the New Jersey department of personnel (DOP) website in quite a while. Last I heard they are going to announce something in Jan but will probably get pushed back a couple months with the way cities are hiring off this current list. Remember in order to apply for Jersey City you must have residency at the time you file your application. The state makes the list that Jersey City hires off of. Check out the website some good info on there.
    http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...ghter_opps.htm

Forum Member

any news on Newark FD?

Forum Member

Default north hudson

any news on north hudson??

Forum Member

Default North Hudson

Hey Joey,

For what it's worth, I recently heard a higher up say that North Hudson is going to hire 20-25 very soon.... But yet, I also heard another higher up say that they aren't going to hire anyone off this list. I'd probably put my money on the truth being somewhere in the middle. All I know is they are "very short" as it is and at least another 10 to retire by next summer.

Forum Member

nice, hopefully its not just a rumor, if you hear anything new keep us up to date

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Need Advice

Hey fellas, I need some advice. I grew up in Jersey (Monmouth county). My father retired from a city PD up there in Union county and moved us down to Florida. Needless to say I'm trying to get back up there. I'm not a vet so this is my question: What would be the best/easiest place for me, a non vet, to move to and establish residency to get on? I don't care about pay or anything like that, just getting the job. My brother is a cop in Monmouth County if that helps you in helping me haha. Any suggestions are much appreciated and best of luck to those guys waiting on the current list.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jersey City

In case you havent heard it on the news, JCFD has just about burned through their overtime money already. They get 2.8 million to split with the DPW and PD. They get more money in July 09. In my eyes this is looking real good for the people on the list they are going to have to hire soon. I know the PD is having an academy in Jan so hopefully the FD isnt too far behind. You can go on news12.com and watch the interview with Cheif O'Reilly and The Director it mentiones something about possibly shutting an engine company down also.

Forum Member

Leather,

I have not looked at the video since I haven't had the chance to log in yet but if they plan to close down an Engine Company than this will probably mean that there will be less of a chance to hire a decent size class of new recruits... they will spread all of the firefighters and captains from that Engine Company throughout the rest of the fire stations, probably in the area of about 16 guys (assuming 4 firemen per tour, 1 driver, 2 FF, 1 capt).. so I think there will be less of a chance for a class anytime soon if shutting down the company goes through ... not trying to lower your hopes to get hired, but that could be the reality ... keep us updated!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    Leather,

I have not looked at the video since I haven't had the chance to log in yet but if they plan to close down an Engine Company than this will probably mean that there will be less of a chance to hire a decent size class of new recruits... they will spread all of the firefighters and captains from that Engine Company throughout the rest of the fire stations, probably in the area of about 16 guys (assuming 4 firemen per tour, 1 driver, 2 FF, 1 capt).. so I think there will be less of a chance for a class anytime soon if shutting down the company goes through ... not trying to lower your hopes to get hired, but that could be the reality ... keep us updated!
    Yeah your right now they are not planning on hiring anyone until April of 09, as I find out more because this will probably change again I'll post it up.

Forum Member

I'm not sure if this will give large urban cities more money for more man power, but regardless this is a big plus:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...nd_securi.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    I'm not sure if this will give large urban cities more money for more man power, but regardless this is a big plus:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...nd_securi.html
    In the past, DHS grants have been used to purchase obscene amounts of equipment and provide gobs of training. Most of this money has gone and will go to law enforcement. Historically, not one FF has been hired with this money and I suspect it will be the same now.

As far as OT, the grants I worked with provided money for OT only for homeland security related tasks.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

George,

Makes more sense now.. thanks for clarifying!

Forum Member

Default Nhrfr

They will be hiring in Feb. Certs are to go out in Jan. Total of 16

Forum Member

Thumbs down Nhrfr

Killer, I heard that certs were going out in February and they were pushing for 20 new guys. Are you sure 16 is the number?

Forum Member

thats great news, too bad im ranked 60... oh well... good luck to those who get certs... by the way where did you hear that killer?

Forum Member

killer, are you reffering to JC, North Hudson or Newark?

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe hes talking about North Hudson thats what the title bar above his post said. For everyone on the list for Jersey City its still looking like they want to get an academy going sometime in April, I dont know how many because I hear so many different storys but I would say 30-40. For guys trying to find out info call your local union and talk to someone they should be able to help you out.

Forum Member

Default Nhrfr

Well thats the number for sure as of now. It may change I don't know. I know hiring 16 is not going to fill the spots. Alot of guys to retire in 09. They need Officers they are hiring 3 or 4 b/c the new 1st level officer exam is under investigation so not due out until maybe april. There are 17 Vets on this list and I'm sitting right behind them. The info is pretty much on the money. I'll keep you guys up to date if I hear anything else.

Forum Member

Default Nhrfr

It wouldn't suprise me if north hudson only hired 16. Ok so suppose they do hire 15-20, what number on the list do you think they could get down to?

**I heard of a guy on the first ever north hudson list that was ranked like #30, but when nhrfr made their first group, he actually got hired #11. So guess anything can happen.

Thread Information