Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Forum Member

did anybody on here take the test for atlantic city,and if you did ,have you received any info from the D.O.P yet about test date. thanks

Forum Member

anyone from south jersey consent decree cities get there results yet?

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Murtin641;797342]I just got mine today. My Test is going to at atantic city army national guard base, on May 21 at 1:00pm.[/QUOTEwhat town did you take the test for?

Forum Member

MannyF: If you applied for the NJDOP fire exam using your edison address you will be ranked according to that zip code you applied in. You CAN move anywhere you want within that same zip code, BUT if you move to Elizebeth, you will be disqualified. Once you apply, you can only move within your zip code, you cannot move around and be eligble in other places once you move. It goes by your zip when you apply. Also, 2 of my friends failed the last section of the video part. Sucks, I was doing real good on the obstical couse, i would be under 3:00 as i was pushing that with an EXACT obstical course we built with heavier weights and longer distances. O well, maybe next time. How did you guys answer the question "would you work with this guy" I think that is where i failed, I dont think I answered "yes i would work with this person" for all those questions, I think that is what they wanted.

Forum Member

Vetro,

It was a team work assessment video, of course you should of answered YES to those. Answering No would mean that you are not willing to work with the fireman in question on helping change their bad ways. I also know alot of people that failed the exam. The only part of the videos that I kinda got stuck on were "Did firefighter John Doe perform accordingly in the public during a call?".... After all 40 videos, I forgot who ran what call and who didn't do the job right... I'm just glad I passed it. Don't put yourself so down, the next civil service exam in NJ is coming out in 2008, just next year... quicker than expected...

Forum Member

I'm sure they will delay that exam as they delayed this one ab out 6 months. Happens every exam, this deadline to apply was supposed to be sometime around the spring and the application announcment was delayed and the deadline was set to August and then September. So I would think the same thing will come from this. 1.5 years until the next application process I would think.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MannyF View Post
    I got my notice today that I passed the written & cognative test for the entry level fire fighter. I have to do my physical on May 18 @ 10am.

Couple of questions for anyone who can help me.

#1 - I currently live in Edison, but I am moving to Elizabeth at the end of the month. What's going to happen to my eligibility & where will I be eligible if I pass all parts of the test?

#2 - Once I pass my physical, am I certified or how does that work?

I hope I'm don't sound to ignorant but I basically don't know anything about becoming a firefighter or what's involved with it. I tried going onto the NJDOP website and getting some info but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for as far as information was concerned. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh and btw Edison starts there firefighters @ approx. 68K/yr.
    I don't know if you know about the whole situation with edison at this point, but the mayor is quite adamant about not hiring any more firefighters, even though Edison is really undermanned. They show up to New Brunswick for mutual aid with only a 2-3 man crews. If any of the vollies for edison fire can vouge for me, but thats what I heard. He recently hired 3 new recruits himself to replace 3 veteran FF's. One of the recruits is related to the mayor. As to why he replaced the 3 firefighters, thats another story.

Forum Member

May 18th in Lawrenceville

Any place I can practice the course or maze crawl? or just on my own?
    I'm in Morris County

I answered the last part if I would have a problem with any of the firefighters, I answered I would have no problem (even that crazy accountant looking guy)

Anyone hear of anyone Appealing?

I'm going to appeal but I'm just trying to figure out, good grounds why the video section does not work.

Not to toot my own horn but nobody is a bigger team player than me, so im proof that test does not work.

Forum Member

Default Whats to appeal?

Whats to appeal? The 1st section of the videos, 40 consecutive ones, were teamwork assessment videos, if you couldn't figure out the best and worst answers out of the 4 given, then I don't know what to tell you. Some were tricky compared to others, but quick thinking and good judgement should of made it easy for the test taker. The 2nd part of the video test was also team work but it was up to us to remember the actions, attitudes, and behavior of the 5 firefighters. For the test takers that couldn't remember (I being one of them), can't blame the test preparers on that. Almost every civil service exam has a memory section so I prepared for memory questions, however, this one caught me by surprise. The reading comprehension and basic math at the end was a gift to every test taker. Instructions were given to us before the test regarding this, so I don't see why there would be a need to appeal. During the application process, it did mention ergometrics will be on the test, the first thing I did was purchase the CD from the ergometrics company that had its material on the test, it helped me prepare for the exam big time... I wish everyone luck on getting the PASS on this exam and also wish everyone the best of luck on the physical agility test..

I went to the ergometrics site and did the same. I saw the videos and did my thing to study. Even studied that factory section that was not even on the test. I enrolled into a study class twice. I took other exams like police and TSA just to prepare for this fire exam. I want to appeal because I want to know what I got wrong because I can't figure out what I could have answered incorrect. How would it hurt to appeal?

Forum Member

Default Dop

I took mine for state wide

Forum Member

when you appeal the test, they don not let you see your test or the answer key at all. Even if you appeal with a lawyer. I appealled the last test with 36 other people and we fought it to the state supreme court and had the state and the dop caught in lies and changing test results to get "THE NUMBERS" they wanted and our case got turned over to a different judge in the third year of our case and he dismissed the case. Our group spent over 170,000 dollars to fight the test. If you still plan to appeal FOX and FOX in Livingston is very good at fighting the dop. I am from s.j and this is who we used.

MembersZone Subscriber

everyone was tested for statewide, but if you reside in a city that has a FD, on the test instead of having "all local jurisdictions" you will have instead the city fire dept. like hackensack folks will have hackensack, New Brunswick, NB. and so forth.

MembersZone Subscriber

just an fyi, Edison is a chief's test, not civil service. So your results on this test have nothing to do with whether or not you will get hired there. And I too have heard they are on a hiring freeze for at least 2-3 years

so...

What has been the best times your guys seen with this physical?

Forum Member

any places to practice (other than on your own)?

I'm in Morris County

Forum Member

rival51,

The best time I got in the Newark Armory was 2:57. I mostly average 3:02-3:06. From what the trainers are telling us, 3:05 and better you get the best score for the physical. So it doesn't matter if you get a 2:30 or 3:04, you get the highest percentage, from what they said. There is a handful of guys getting 2:35-2:45, however, alot of people are getting 2:50-3:10, while a bigger percentage of people are getting in the 3:20's and 3:30's... ------- Good luck to all!

Last time I tried out I got a 2:48 at the DOP.

This time around when I practice I got a 2:56

It's like riding a bike, you never forget the physical

Forum Member

Just got done w/ my CPAT... slightly upset, I averaged 3min2sec - 3min6sec on the practice course and I got a 3min13sec on the official test run w/ the DOP. I got tied up on the hydrant, didn't get it centered correctly.

The crazier part is that no one is showing up for their CPAT in Newark! NJDOP is scheduling 10 people per hour from 8am-5pm, it started May 5th, and till now almost a week later they haven't had all 10 people show up in any given hour. The average is 3-6 people per 10 scheduled per hour. Over 250 people haven't showed up until now and have been disqualified.

Video, written, and physical results will be sent out during the Fall, DOP told me some time around Halloween. Good luck to all

Thread Information