Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Jersey

I went to the ergometrics site and did the same. I saw the videos and did my thing to study. Even studied that factory section that was not even on the test. I enrolled into a study class twice. I took other exams like police and TSA just to prepare for this fire exam. I want to appeal because I want to know what I got wrong because I can't figure out what I could have answered incorrect. How would it hurt to appeal?

Forum Member

Default Dop

I took mine for state wide

Forum Member

when you appeal the test, they don not let you see your test or the answer key at all. Even if you appeal with a lawyer. I appealled the last test with 36 other people and we fought it to the state supreme court and had the state and the dop caught in lies and changing test results to get "THE NUMBERS" they wanted and our case got turned over to a different judge in the third year of our case and he dismissed the case. Our group spent over 170,000 dollars to fight the test. If you still plan to appeal FOX and FOX in Livingston is very good at fighting the dop. I am from s.j and this is who we used.

MembersZone Subscriber

everyone was tested for statewide, but if you reside in a city that has a FD, on the test instead of having "all local jurisdictions" you will have instead the city fire dept. like hackensack folks will have hackensack, New Brunswick, NB. and so forth.

MembersZone Subscriber

just an fyi, Edison is a chief's test, not civil service. So your results on this test have nothing to do with whether or not you will get hired there. And I too have heard they are on a hiring freeze for at least 2-3 years

so...

What has been the best times your guys seen with this physical?

Forum Member

any places to practice (other than on your own)?

I'm in Morris County

Forum Member

rival51,

The best time I got in the Newark Armory was 2:57. I mostly average 3:02-3:06. From what the trainers are telling us, 3:05 and better you get the best score for the physical. So it doesn't matter if you get a 2:30 or 3:04, you get the highest percentage, from what they said. There is a handful of guys getting 2:35-2:45, however, alot of people are getting 2:50-3:10, while a bigger percentage of people are getting in the 3:20's and 3:30's... ------- Good luck to all!

Last time I tried out I got a 2:48 at the DOP.

This time around when I practice I got a 2:56

It's like riding a bike, you never forget the physical

Forum Member

Just got done w/ my CPAT... slightly upset, I averaged 3min2sec - 3min6sec on the practice course and I got a 3min13sec on the official test run w/ the DOP. I got tied up on the hydrant, didn't get it centered correctly.

The crazier part is that no one is showing up for their CPAT in Newark! NJDOP is scheduling 10 people per hour from 8am-5pm, it started May 5th, and till now almost a week later they haven't had all 10 people show up in any given hour. The average is 3-6 people per 10 scheduled per hour. Over 250 people haven't showed up until now and have been disqualified.

Video, written, and physical results will be sent out during the Fall, DOP told me some time around Halloween. Good luck to all

Forum Member

Default newark cpat

hey Dan just thought i would say that i too ended up getting 3:13 and was very upset cause i to avg between 2:59 and 3:07. i hadent received anything over 3:07 since mid april . so when i crossed the line and the judge showed me the time i was a little puzzled. I cant acount for any one place where i lost time everything ran smooth for me. But like you said 10 guys where to take it on thursday at 2 p.m and only 4 other guys showed up . I stuck around to see how they did and they all did worse 3:18, 3:39, 3:49 and 3:52 but those guys only ran the course like 2 other times and one never ran it. the lady firefighter dont know her name but she daid that yeah ppl wherent showing up in the afternoons but inthe mornings they where geting like 7 ppl and lucky to get 5 in the afternoon.. i'am keeping my fingers crossed. let me know if u find out anything else i still have a few friends waiting to take it. i wish i could get a do over !!!

dan do you know how many ppl passed the written portion

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    Just got done w/ my CPAT... slightly upset, I averaged 3min2sec - 3min6sec on the practice course and I got a 3min13sec on the official test run w/ the DOP. I got tied up on the hydrant, didn't get it centered correctly.

The crazier part is that no one is showing up for their CPAT in Newark! NJDOP is scheduling 10 people per hour from 8am-5pm, it started May 5th, and till now almost a week later they haven't had all 10 people show up in any given hour. The average is 3-6 people per 10 scheduled per hour. Over 250 people haven't showed up until now and have been disqualified.

Video, written, and physical results will be sent out during the Fall, DOP told me some time around Halloween. Good luck to all
    just another FYI, this isn't the CPAT. this is the NJ DOP Physicaly Agility Test. CPAT is a whole different ballgame, of which i prefer since its pass or fail, and you can take the results to any department that uses the CPAT for hiring processes. It's good for 12 months.

Forum Member

With regard to the Newark Fire Dept, I was reading that they have about 710 members now after they hired those 100+ off this last list. I was wondering, did anyone hear anything about how many people they were planning on hiring off this list or in the future? I heard a min. of about 50 people from each list are hired. Any ideas?

Forum Member

Default newark

well from this past list they created 3 classes. They usually only do two classes but from what ppl told me their where a lot of recruits that had relatives in the department. Out of the forty graduates 13 of them had relatives in the dept. That last class graduated sometime last week. So i would think each class usually has about 40-50 ppl max and i would only count on two classes but then again you never know maybe they will do 3 classes again

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NVetro View Post
    With regard to the Newark Fire Dept, I was reading that they have about 710 members now after they hired those 100+ off this last list. I was wondering, did anyone hear anything about how many people they were planning on hiring off this list or in the future? I heard a min. of about 50 people from each list are hired. Any ideas?

i to did 3:13 i was upset casue i was avg like you between 2:58 and 3:07 i was hoping to get under that 3:05 so i could get into the 100% percential but i guess not. i dont know what really went wrong i cant acount for any time loss. Another thing i notice was only 4 other ppl showed up and their times where far worse 3:18 3:49 and 3:39 3:52 so i didnt feel to bad but those guys where either first timers or had ran the course 2 or 3 times only

Forum Member

I would not be to worried about times. When they band all the times, the scoring difference is very minimal. Most of your ranking has to do with your written.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know how the overall score is calculated?
    When will those scores be available to us?

Forum Member

does anybody know of anybody who was on the last dop list for newark. if so what was their rank and if they know the list # they where on iam trying to look up some info and this would help

Default Average

From what I understood, your final score is the average of 3 parts: 1) Reading Comp & Math 2)Teamwork 3) Physical. I took the physical for Jersey City, Hoboken was administering the test and the guys were saying that not alot of people were showing up. Also people that did great at the practise sessions were messing up on the actual test.

Forum Member

The #1 non vet Newark's 2002 list scored 93.xx, those .10 of a point make a BIG DEAL seeing how 89.00 was like #160, so those 10 seconds or 5 seconds, or even 1 second over 3:05 mean ALOT, its VERY close.....

Forum Member

that written and math portion was very easy i would think a lot more ppl would get 100 on that then on Physical. so it really does come down to those videos. so someone who got under 3:05 on Physical but lets say missed a few question on the written portion would be tied with someone who say got a 3:20 on the Physical and the thing that would seperate them would be how well they did on those videos. so the key was to get 100 on the written portion and under 3:05 on Physical and maybe just a get a avg score on the videos. and your in the top 150 at least. but its worth less if u did great on Physical yet you bomed or barley passed the written portion you just lowered yourself down to the ranks of ppl who got avg times on Physical

Forum Member

If you read the statement from dop on scoring , all they say is the test is scored in thirds,but that doesn,t mean equal thirds. We found out in 2002 the biodata was worth 65% the comprehension and math 17% and physical 17%. Thatmay have changed now,but i would highly doubt it. This is the way they are able to get the "numbers" they want. Just think why does it take so long for the scores to come out. The Us Justice department needs to skew the numbers and formulas many times to find the correct ratio.

Forum Member

I went for my physical test today in Newark and I did not do to bad thank God! (2:47) Some of the Newark firemen were telling us that two days ago one of the guys that was running thru the physical exam kept stopping and gasping for air. This was very odd they said because he was doing fine throughout the practice sessions. The guy refused to get off the course and wanted to finish. He eventually did finish with a 5:05 time but then collapsed when he crossed the finish line. He was rushed to the hospital but he unfortunantly did not make it. He died of a heart attack and was 35.
    Rest in peace Brother!

MembersZone Subscriber

i didnt take the test because i live about 45 minutes from any career departments in jersey but just asking if anyone knows if any of the handful of departments that dont go by the DOP test are gonna be giving a test within the next year or anytime soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson201 View Post
    From what I understood, your final score is the average of 3 parts: 1) Reading Comp & Math 2)Teamwork 3) Physical. I took the physical for Jersey City, Hoboken was administering the test and the guys were saying that not alot of people were showing up. Also people that did great at the practise sessions were messing up on the actual test.
    I think a big portion of the "no shows", could be schedueled makeups for later dates. For example, I was unable to take the physical test at the designated date, so I submitted a reason and proof of unavailability. The DOP received the paperwork and accepted my makeup request.
    The DOP explained that they will have to take all the people for makeups and reschedule a date for them.

So this gives me reason that alot of those "no show" folks are approved for makeups.

Thread Information