Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Forum Member

no problem, thanks for the response...good luck bro you will do great

Forum Member

wow nobody has nj questions huh?

Forum Member

What is there to ask? Right now the only question I can think of is when is the civil service test coming out? I'm a vet and am looking monthly at the CSC report, looks like everything is on hold until 2015 at the earliest.

Forum Member

Just trying to bump the thread

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob84 View Post
    Just trying to bump the thread
    Unfortunately, not much going on to post about. I know I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of the new application dates. Just as I was at this time LAST YEAR and once again they rescheduled it. I think I'm going to lose my mind if I don't get a chance to apply in 2015.

Forum Member

I just look at the CSC website and their update is out for November/December. Once again it just reads the state is gathering information and to check the site beginning in 2015. Does anybody know of any other firefighter/fire department/emergency management/anything related to public safety job openings or anything along those lines? I feel like it's next to impossible to discover them unless you know exactly where to look. Also, when was the last time the Civil Service test was to be administered, 2013, 2014?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

The last Civil service test was given in 2010/11 and the list was established December of 2011. The current list has been extended for a possible 2 years or more. The rumor that I have been hearing is an announcement will not be out until mid 2015 at the earliest. From a reliable source, they are redoing the whole written portion and still have not finalized what the test is going to be about. So if you are on any current NJ CSC fire department list, you may be sitting pretty since it looks like this list is not going to expire anytime soon.

Forum Member

As far as I know my department is loking to hire another 10-15 guys for the spring academy, so like it was stated above the test might come out in mid 2015. The list I was on was extended til the end of 2014. Not much else I can really say.

Forum Member

http://www.state.nj.us/csc/authoriti...efighters.html

List extended ONCE AGAIN until 12/2015. How the hell does anyone become a career firefighter in NJ I swear. I've been waiting for years to just apply. I am going to start looking out of state.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob84 View Post
    wow nobody has nj questions huh?
    Where were you hired?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJFirefighter311 View Post
    Where were you hired?
    Paterson and nowhere does it's say the list extended till dec 2015, could possibly be longer than that, they haven't even given an application date yet. my guess is the new list will ope dec. 2016

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firstdue84 View Post
    Paterson and nowhere does it's say the list extended till dec 2015, could possibly be longer than that, they haven't even given an application date yet. my guess is the new list will ope dec. 2016
    Um click the link I provided a few posts up. It's one of the first answers to the FAQ. Extended to December 2015.

No need to be negative about test dates for the prospective guys.
    Last edited by NJFirefighter311; 12-01-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Forum Member

That dec. 2015 date is the old extension. If csc doesn't have a new test ready by then, it's automatically gonna be extended past that date since the testing period takes longer than a year. Also, I'm not being negative, the slower the process takes the better it is for guys who are on the current list. It's only fair to them cause they've been waiting since 2010.

Forum Member

Any idea what potential dis-qualifiers are? For instance, a very minor marijuana charge from 2006. I know getting it expunged may HELP but not necessarily save me completely. Any insights on this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spads87 View Post
    Any idea what potential dis-qualifiers are? For instance, a very minor marijuana charge from 2006. I know getting it expunged may HELP but not necessarily save me completely. Any insights on this?
    I have read that it's up to who is hiring you. That is a small 9 year old offense. Then again it definitely isn't going to help you either. Whereabouts in NJ? I would imagine that if you live in a very competitive area it would hurt you.

I mean I had to pass a background test to join my volunteer department.
    Last edited by NJFirefighter311; 12-11-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Forum Member

Charges are never good. Not because they actually care, but more because they have so many people to choose from that it can really make a difference. Even traffic tickets can really hurt. I have a minor underage poss of alcohol charge and i worry about that too. Even tho I'm NJ ff1 soon to be ff2 proboard and NJ EMT, that tiny thing can still screw me. My best advice is try to get it expunged as soon as possible. Maybe u can do it by the time njs test comes out. Also if u have traffic tickets new jersey has an online defensive driving course that gets two points off ur license automatically

Forum Member

Getting an expungement won't help you get hired.. You have to tell the appointing authority about everything you've done either way. Certain agencies won't care about things like non felonies but you still have to tell them. A lot of agencies will disqualify you for any reason they want. So having an immaculate record is always better but consent decree districts will typically have more leniency.

Forum Member

if the test was to come out in 2015..for example..the testing process takes almost a year in itself. So a list is usally extended until a set date, or when the new list becomes available

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmigs View Post
    if the test was to come out in 2015..for example..the testing process takes almost a year in itself. So a list is usally extended until a set date, or when the new list becomes available
    In the past, the testing process has taken almost 2 years. However, the csc is changing the test which might speed up the process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJFirefighter311 View Post
    I have read that it's up to who is hiring you. That is a small 9 year old offense. Then again it definitely isn't going to help you either. Whereabouts in NJ? I would imagine that if you live in a very competitive area it would hurt you.

I mean I had to pass a background test to join my volunteer department.
    The charge was in a small town in Bergen County, but I'm looking to get on JCFD. In reality, no matter where you go it's going to be a competitive area. I was debating joining Navy Reserve in the meantime to a) get me some brownie points since I'm fairly certain it doesn't get you full veterans preference and b) give me a plan B in case i do get DQ'd

Thread Information