Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Forum Member

Anything new?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by enginecompany View Post
    Anything new?
    Negative. Anxiously awaiting an application date here.

Forum Member

Got a new fire class Starting March 2nd in Essex County good luck to anyone who's in

Forum Member

I just got csc certification for north Hudson does anyone know how many they are hiring

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harndog View Post
    I just got csc certification for north Hudson does anyone know how many they are hiring
    I know they recently hired quite a few, I didn't think they were looking for any more. They have a history of hiring mainly all veterans. From what I've read it sounds like it's composed of as much as 85% vet 15% non vet if I had to throw a number out there.

Forum Member

Anyone know how many Evesham fire is looking to hire?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mwsportsx55 View Post
    Anyone know how many Evesham fire is looking to hire?
    Where did you hear they are hiring? If I remember correctly they are a chief's test town (non civil service).

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything on how many Jersey City is looking to hire? Also any idea how many vets they typically take on?

Forum Member

I saw Evesham was hiring through their Facebook page. Yes they are non civil service and the application period ends on March 3 2105. Now I have a totally different question regarding New Jersey and their hiring. I live in SJ and was wondering if anyone had any info on Mt. Laurel. I see they have a career staff of 44 ( which is a nice size) they also have a large budget and unlike camden they are not in a bad fiscal state. So my question is this, if I were to try to get hired in Mt. Laurel do I need to get an address there and establish residency? Does anyone know if they are even looking to hire anybody when the next test actually becomes available? I picked Mt. Laurel due to the fact that they have a large staff (career progression) and they seem to have a nice pay rate. Around 75k a year. Camden would be great but the uncertainty of their fiscal standing is making me weary of even trying. Also if you apply somewhere are you basically stuck getting hired where you live? I'm in camden county now and most depts around me have a handful of paid guys but they really don't catch a lot of work and work ****ty 10 hour shifts.. If anyone has any info at all I would appreciate it. Thanks guys

Forum Member

Long shot, but any indication on when the next civil service test will be? The website is so vague.

Forum Member

Wait, so do you live in SJ or Camden? Anywhere you want to work here in NJ you have to establish residency for at least 6 months I believe. Here scroll through pages 4-6 https://ndex.ci.newark.nj.us/dsweb/G...pplication.PDF

There you will see where you're eligible for being hired based on where you live. 44 members is not a big department by the way. I would not make a move for that. If you want to be hired move to Jersey City, Newark, Patterson, and so on. I'm in the same boat too. Where I live is an 89 member department, but they never hire and the other towns I'm eligible for don't hire much either. My dream city to work at is Newark where I grew up. Looks like an amazing department. However, I don't know if I can stomach living in that city again with a family just for that job.

I saw Evesham was hiring through their Facebook page. Yes they are non civil service and the application period ends on March 3 2105. Now I have a totally different question regarding New Jersey and their hiring. I live in SJ and was wondering if anyone had any info on Mt. Laurel. I see they have a career staff of 44 ( which is a nice size) they also have a large budget and unlike camden they are not in a bad fiscal state. So my question is this, if I were to try to get hired in Mt. Laurel do I need to get an address there and establish residency? Does anyone know if they are even looking to hire anybody when the next test actually becomes available? I picked Mt. Laurel due to the fact that they have a large staff (career progression) and they seem to have a nice pay rate. Around 75k a year. Camden would be great but the uncertainty of their fiscal standing is making me weary of even trying. Also if you apply somewhere are you basically stuck getting hired where you live? I'm in camden county now and most depts around me have a handful of paid guys but they really don't catch a lot of work and work ****ty 10 hour shifts.. If anyone has any info at all I would appreciate it. Thanks guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EstablishingCommand View Post
    Wait, so do you live in SJ or Camden? Anywhere you want to work here in NJ you have to establish residency for at least 6 months I believe. Here scroll through pages 4-6 https://ndex.ci.newark.nj.us/dsweb/G...pplication.PDF

There you will see where you're eligible for being hired based on where you live. 44 members is not a big department by the way. I would not make a move for that. If you want to be hired move to Jersey City, Newark, Patterson, and so on. I'm in the same boat too. Where I live is an 89 member department, but they never hire and the other towns I'm eligible for don't hire much either. My dream city to work at is Newark where I grew up. Looks like an amazing department. However, I don't know if I can stomach living in that city again with a family just for that job.
    I live in Camden County (Which is South Jersey.) Camden City is about 15 minutes from my house. I have no intentions of moving up to north jersey to like Newark or Jersey City. I'm 27 and just bought a house here with my fiance so I am not moving anytime soon, and because of the way Jersey works I am pretty much stuck working where I live. However, it is not very hard to get an address through a friend of a friend of a friend to get hired in another municipality, ( A LOT of guys i know have done this in the past). I'm also classified as a Disabled Vet so again, the way the laws are set up I'm gonna be at or near the top of the list for where ever I apply as long as I pass the exam (whenever they decide to actually have an exam). I guess If worst comes to worst I could just become a cop and totally hate life and continue to be a volunteer firefighter in my free time. From what i have heard from other Camden City firemen is you only need to be a 'resident' up to your appointment date then you can live where ever you want to after you get hired.

Forum Member

Just saw the CSC updated their website for March/April. Says they completed the the Job Analysis portion and now the testing portion is in the planning phases. So maybe by the end of the year a test date will be announced?

Forum Member

Wow. Fingers crossed.

Just saw the CSC updated their website for March/April. Says they completed the the Job Analysis portion and now the testing portion is in the planning phases. So maybe by the end of the year a test date will be announced?
    Last edited by EstablishingCommand; 03-19-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Thread Information