Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    hey Dan just thought i would say that i too ended up getting 3:13 and was very upset cause i to avg between 2:59 and 3:07. i hadent received anything over 3:07 since mid april . so when i crossed the line and the judge showed me the time i was a little puzzled. I cant acount for any one place where i lost time everything ran smooth for me. But like you said 10 guys where to take it on thursday at 2 p.m and only 4 other guys showed up . I stuck around to see how they did and they all did worse 3:18, 3:39, 3:49 and 3:52 but those guys only ran the course like 2 other times and one never ran it. the lady firefighter dont know her name but she daid that yeah ppl wherent showing up in the afternoons but inthe mornings they where geting like 7 ppl and lucky to get 5 in the afternoon.. i'am keeping my fingers crossed. let me know if u find out anything else i still have a few friends waiting to take it. i wish i could get a do over !!!

dan do you know how many ppl passed the written portion
    This is the great thing about being a COMBAT VETERAN!!!! all u have to do is average on all (3) parts. I took the Agility did it in 3:30, and you know what for me thats all that matters. If you are a Veteran, as long as you finish the course in the required 5:15 you pass the test, and get ahead of the non vets, who did it in like 2:30- 3:00. Not to mention the (10) point volunteer preference, now I have (15) total extra points right off the bat. (10) point volunteer, and (5) point veteran. So even if I only scored an 80% for the test, it does not matter. (15) extra points I now scored a (95), and VETERAN status puts you to the top of the list over anyone else. Bottom line in (NJ) if you want a job as a firefighter, Join the military get your VET status. All (NJ) cares about is meeting their minority quota, due to their ridiculous affirmative action policy. And if u dont live in the city your not even allowed to practice the agility. To me thats discrimination. Bottom line all (NJ) wants to do, is get as many minorities on the job as possible, so they dont get sued. And thats a fact.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtfd287 View Post
    This is the great thing about being a COMBAT VETERAN!!!! all u have to do is average on all (3) parts. I took the Agility did it in 3:30, and you know what for me thats all that matters. If you are a Veteran, as long as you finish the course in the required 5:15 you pass the test, and get ahead of the non vets, who did it in like 2:30- 3:00. Not to mention the (10) point volunteer preference, now I have (15) total extra points right off the bat. (10) point volunteer, and (5) point veteran. So even if I only scored an 80% for the test, it does not matter. (15) extra points I now scored a (95), and VETERAN status puts you to the top of the list over anyone else. Bottom line in (NJ) if you want a job as a firefighter, Join the military get your VET status. All (NJ) cares about is meeting their minority quota, due to their ridiculous affirmative action policy. And if u dont live in the city your not even allowed to practice the agility. To me thats discrimination. Bottom line all (NJ) wants to do, is get as many minorities on the job as possible, so they dont get sued. And thats a fact.
    You know I wouldnt expect this kind of attitude from anyone in the service, or a vet, especially since there are alot of folks that feel the veterens preference is a bull and no one should just be given a job. I cant believe you actually feel proud that you didnt need to do well to get hired, and then complain about "minorities".

There are alot of minorities that live outside of the City and we were not able to practice the agility test. You dont hear me crying about disrcimination cause I have a vag and brown skin. Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyNJ View Post
    You know I wouldnt expect this kind of attitude from anyone in the service, or a vet, especially since there are alot of folks that feel the veterens preference is a bull and no one should just be given a job. I cant believe you actually feel proud that you didnt need to do well to get hired, and then complain about "minorities".

There are alot of minorities that live outside of the City and we were not able to practice the agility test. You dont hear me crying about disrcimination cause I have a vag and brown skin. Give me a break.
    as i was saying. as far as only letting people that live within the city practice, its discrimination. Everyone should be entitled the same opportunity. Unfortunatelly, it is true, that (NJ) is known for the practice of consent decree to the extreme. Unfair as well. Everyone should be given a fair chance at the job. unfortunatelly in (NJ) this is not the case.

Forum Member

jtfd287, where do you live, like what town/city? Curious.....You are a volunteer firefighter where you live?

Forum Member

Ruby I totally agree with you on your comments regarding the other jokers comments about veteran and minorities, he's garbage.

However, the "discrimination issue" for the major cities that had practice sessions for the physical test for its residents, nothing anyone can do about that if they weren't residents of that city... Newark FD and East Orange FD, for example, rented the Newark Armory from the National Guard with their own funds to have their residents practice. I'm not sure if Irvington had a practice course opened, but I do know that Elizabeth and Jersey City did, but remember that all of these major cities have a few thousand applicants compared to other small towns that only had a hand full.

Overall, I would recommend moving to your closest major city before the next application dead line some time in 2008 if you want your chances of getting hired to increase... nonetheless, goood luck on your journey, hope you land the job

Forum Member

my only reason for posting was to keep informed and to see if I still even had a shot at getting the job considering I only got a 3:13. My understanding was if you didn't get under the 3:05 to not even bother cause you wouldn't get the job. but then I heard that so many ppl weren't even showing up so I got my hopes up. I didn't mean to get anybody ****ed off. And yes any vet who passes all three parts of the test basically has the job is a little unfair. But I do understand that they should be given extra brownie points they did risk their lives for are country already. so I'm not complaining good for them I say. I just don't think I would join any branch of the military just so I can get a job easier. it doesn't make any scene to go go off to war for 2-4 years just so when you come back you get 5 extra points on the firefighters exam. that's even if you make it back. so that comment was a little out of line and ridiculous to say.

and to comment on the other post.who said that he thinks all the no shows are make ups. I don't see how they would give you a make up test date unless u either had a death in the family or where injured some how and needed the extra time. u having car trouble the day of the test does not qualify you for a make up test date in my opinion. so i think the no shows are just that no shows

and does anybody else have any updates on how the testing is going for newark for example I would like to know how many people actually took and passed the physical test so far or better yet when testing finishes. just to see how many ppl iam actually up against

Forum Member

As I said before, your ppt time is only a very small part of your score,usually 17.5% most people are in the 3:20 to 3:50 range. Don't worry about it the big part of the test is the written,this is how they are able to manipulate the results. This is why it takes so long to get your scores back

Forum Member

From what I heard out of Newark 1878 people applied, 1080ish passed the written, out of that between no shows and people failing you will see about 500 or so ranked on the Newark FD list, just like the 2002 list. After they get ranked, its usually and 1 to 2 or 1 to 3 ratio for people getting thrown off for backgorund, not living in newark, etc.... So for every 1 person that gets hired, 2 or 3 are thrown off. That has been the trend in the City of Newark.

deco2012: it is 1/3 for the written, 1/3 physological, and 1/3 physical. So thats 33.33% across the board for each event. The written has 2 sections, a reading comp. and a math section, the way that is graded is roughly 80% for the written, and 20% for the math out of those 33.33%, that is as per the DOP.
    Last edited by NVetro; 05-31-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    Ruby I totally agree with you on your comments regarding the other jokers comments about veteran and minorities, he's garbage.

However, the "discrimination issue" for the major cities that had practice sessions for the physical test for its residents, nothing anyone can do about that if they weren't residents of that city... Newark FD and East Orange FD, for example, rented the Newark Armory from the National Guard with their own funds to have their residents practice. I'm not sure if Irvington had a practice course opened, but I do know that Elizabeth and Jersey City did, but remember that all of these major cities have a few thousand applicants compared to other small towns that only had a hand full.

Overall, I would recommend moving to your closest major city before the next application dead line some time in 2008 if you want your chances of getting hired to increase... nonetheless, goood luck on your journey, hope you land the job
    don't take everything you read in this forum seriously. sometimes people write things that aren't even true, to see how fired up some people will get over it. very interesting.

MembersZone Subscriber

which accounts for 66.6% on the written, and 33.3% for the actual physical.
    Last edited by jklm128; 05-31-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Forum Member

When people say written, it usually means the reading/math section. Technicly the physological is another test. But I see what you mean.

Forum Member

I've called the DOP a couple of times now and from my last conversation, which was with a manager of operations, it was stated that all three parts are EQUALLY weighted. One third for the physical, one third for the video scenarios and one third for the reading comp/math which is broken up by percentage. 88% for the reading comp and 12% for the math but both are still considered one and count for one third. Of course, this does not mean this individual was just blowing smoke up my ***. When I asked him whether or not certain parts weighed more then others he laughed at me and said how is that suppose to work. I can't buy that the physical does not count for much. If that was the case there should be more women in the fire service. The way I see it is the biggest issue for women taking the test is the physical portion. Obviously they are on the same playing field when it comes to the videos and written exam. Concerning Newark, there are plenty of women that have passed to the physical and are passing that as well. If the physcial portion does not play a major role then where are all the women in the service. By the way, I am not trying to pick on any females I'm just trying to figure things out.

Gentlemen! You all probably know this already but until we get our ranking, hopefully before October, we are going to hear the most ridiculous and wacky rumors and stories known to mankind! I thought after I took the physical test that all the headaches would be gone and my nerves would be calm. That was the case for about one day. That was nothing. The next couple of monthes are really going to be brutal!!!!

Before I go here is a rumor I heard. Jersey City, Newark etc.... are not hiring anyone anymore because all paid departments are going VOLUNTEER.

Just kidding

Later

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post

I hear ya Haz Dan, but I aint moving anywhere.lol

I still have my chances with State Police, NJ Municipal and through alternate route.... where there is a will there is a way, right.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mastrkiller1 View Post
    Gentlemen! You all probably know this already but until we get our ranking, hopefully before October, we are going to hear the most ridiculous and wacky rumors and stories known to mankind!

Later
    Thats it in a nutshell

Forum Member

The whole veteran's preferance is a bunch of BS. Don't get me wrong I appreciate everyone that is in or has been in the military, but placing them at the top of a list regardless of their scores is the most unfair thing that is done, right next to consent decree! I have years of experience and training in firefighting from a town I lived in years ago, along with a 4yr degree. I've been living (really living, not just staying on the weekend like most a**holes) in the city that I'm applying for going on 4 years now. It's almost like you're getting punished for going to college and not joining the military. And why the hell should skin color or ethnicity have anything to do with firefighting? If a minority gets a better score than me, then they deserve the job before I do. Thats the way it should be, there should be no quota's or preferances. Live in the City/town...fulltime...and let the scores deside who gets hired. I really hope the weekend warriors get what they deserve and get booted off the list. I live, work, and went to school in hudson county along with serving 9 straight weeks of Hudson county jury duty...try and kick my a** off the list for not living here.

Anyway things are the way they are and there is not a whole lot we can do. So we just gotta deal with it, do the best we can, and and keep our lives moving.

P.S.
    unless a person you know works for the New Jersey Dept. of Personnel, don't believe most of the hearsay on these forums. It's nothing more than the telephone game.

Forum Member

so now that we took the physical, whats the next step?

thanks

Forum Member

The waiting game......

You should see something in the mail around October'ish, it will display your rankings in the locations you qualify for according to your zip code.

Forum Member

Default Newark

Does anyone know how many people are left in the hiring process in Newark? I heard a street rumor of 350-450 candidates left, however, I don't know how accurate that number is ... anyone know?

Forum Member

From what I hear about 500 have made it to the hiring list for the last 2 exams, after that people get tossed off for ALL sorts of reasons. 1:2 rule prob for the first 75-100 people or so, after that your looking at a 1:3 ratio. Meaning going through 2 or 3 people to hire 1. Thats just from what i've seen and heard.

A friend of mine is waiting to hear about his appeal because he failed the teamwork video exam.

His reason for failing is the video shut off mid exam and the proctors had to find another copy of the video.

From what he says it was a 10 minute delay

Did this happen to anyone else?

Forum Member

no nothing like that happen to me when i took it. its a little weird but what would your friend have them do at the time. the only thing they could do is stop the clock and when they got it working again restart it. unless the mojority of the group failed like 90% i dont see how your friend had a good reason. but best of lick to him anyway that teamwork test was tricky and i took could have used some extra time or at least been able to take notes.

i was also wondering i know about how many make it onto the list (500) but do we have any exact numbers yet ?

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey guys, are any of you going thru the process for Asbury? If so can you give me the real deal on getting hired there. Residency isn't a problem for me, but is it a Vet department? Any insight would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Forum Member

any updates ? i called DOP and they said that ppl where still doing make ups?

Forum Member

If I had to guess they will prob do make ups for people around the state till the end of July. It usually takes them about 3 months to process results after that which is in the October time frame they were predicting. I think mid to end of October is when u will get your letter with ranking on the depts u are able to get hired by.

Forum Member

njdop web site says test scores will be out by end of September. a month ahead of schedule

Thread Information