Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 894
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Jersey

  1. #61
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default newark cpat

    hey Dan just thought i would say that i too ended up getting 3:13 and was very upset cause i to avg between 2:59 and 3:07. i hadent received anything over 3:07 since mid april . so when i crossed the line and the judge showed me the time i was a little puzzled. I cant acount for any one place where i lost time everything ran smooth for me. But like you said 10 guys where to take it on thursday at 2 p.m and only 4 other guys showed up . I stuck around to see how they did and they all did worse 3:18, 3:39, 3:49 and 3:52 but those guys only ran the course like 2 other times and one never ran it. the lady firefighter dont know her name but she daid that yeah ppl wherent showing up in the afternoons but inthe mornings they where geting like 7 ppl and lucky to get 5 in the afternoon.. i'am keeping my fingers crossed. let me know if u find out anything else i still have a few friends waiting to take it. i wish i could get a do over !!!

    dan do you know how many ppl passed the written portion


  2. #62
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NJ/VA
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    Just got done w/ my CPAT... slightly upset, I averaged 3min2sec - 3min6sec on the practice course and I got a 3min13sec on the official test run w/ the DOP. I got tied up on the hydrant, didn't get it centered correctly.

    The crazier part is that no one is showing up for their CPAT in Newark! NJDOP is scheduling 10 people per hour from 8am-5pm, it started May 5th, and till now almost a week later they haven't had all 10 people show up in any given hour. The average is 3-6 people per 10 scheduled per hour. Over 250 people haven't showed up until now and have been disqualified.

    Video, written, and physical results will be sent out during the Fall, DOP told me some time around Halloween. Good luck to all
    just another FYI, this isn't the CPAT. this is the NJ DOP Physicaly Agility Test. CPAT is a whole different ballgame, of which i prefer since its pass or fail, and you can take the results to any department that uses the CPAT for hiring processes. It's good for 12 months.

  3. #63
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    186

    Default

    With regard to the Newark Fire Dept, I was reading that they have about 710 members now after they hired those 100+ off this last list. I was wondering, did anyone hear anything about how many people they were planning on hiring off this list or in the future? I heard a min. of about 50 people from each list are hired. Any ideas?

  4. #64
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default newark

    well from this past list they created 3 classes. They usually only do two classes but from what ppl told me their where a lot of recruits that had relatives in the department. Out of the forty graduates 13 of them had relatives in the dept. That last class graduated sometime last week. So i would think each class usually has about 40-50 ppl max and i would only count on two classes but then again you never know maybe they will do 3 classes again

  5. #65
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NVetro View Post
    With regard to the Newark Fire Dept, I was reading that they have about 710 members now after they hired those 100+ off this last list. I was wondering, did anyone hear anything about how many people they were planning on hiring off this list or in the future? I heard a min. of about 50 people from each list are hired. Any ideas?


    i to did 3:13 i was upset casue i was avg like you between 2:58 and 3:07 i was hoping to get under that 3:05 so i could get into the 100% percential but i guess not. i dont know what really went wrong i cant acount for any time loss. Another thing i notice was only 4 other ppl showed up and their times where far worse 3:18 3:49 and 3:39 3:52 so i didnt feel to bad but those guys where either first timers or had ran the course 2 or 3 times only

  6. #66
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I would not be to worried about times. When they band all the times, the scoring difference is very minimal. Most of your ranking has to do with your written.

  7. #67
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Anyone know how the overall score is calculated?
    When will those scores be available to us?

  8. #68
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    does anybody know of anybody who was on the last dop list for newark. if so what was their rank and if they know the list # they where on iam trying to look up some info and this would help

  9. #69

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default Average

    From what I understood, your final score is the average of 3 parts: 1) Reading Comp & Math 2)Teamwork 3) Physical. I took the physical for Jersey City, Hoboken was administering the test and the guys were saying that not alot of people were showing up. Also people that did great at the practise sessions were messing up on the actual test.

  10. #70
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    186

    Default

    The #1 non vet Newark's 2002 list scored 93.xx, those .10 of a point make a BIG DEAL seeing how 89.00 was like #160, so those 10 seconds or 5 seconds, or even 1 second over 3:05 mean ALOT, its VERY close.....

  11. #71
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    141

    Default

    that written and math portion was very easy i would think a lot more ppl would get 100 on that then on Physical. so it really does come down to those videos. so someone who got under 3:05 on Physical but lets say missed a few question on the written portion would be tied with someone who say got a 3:20 on the Physical and the thing that would seperate them would be how well they did on those videos. so the key was to get 100 on the written portion and under 3:05 on Physical and maybe just a get a avg score on the videos. and your in the top 150 at least. but its worth less if u did great on Physical yet you bomed or barley passed the written portion you just lowered yourself down to the ranks of ppl who got avg times on Physical

  12. #72
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    20

    Default

    If you read the statement from dop on scoring , all they say is the test is scored in thirds,but that doesn,t mean equal thirds. We found out in 2002 the biodata was worth 65% the comprehension and math 17% and physical 17%. Thatmay have changed now,but i would highly doubt it. This is the way they are able to get the "numbers" they want. Just think why does it take so long for the scores to come out. The Us Justice department needs to skew the numbers and formulas many times to find the correct ratio.

  13. #73
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I went for my physical test today in Newark and I did not do to bad thank God! (2:47) Some of the Newark firemen were telling us that two days ago one of the guys that was running thru the physical exam kept stopping and gasping for air. This was very odd they said because he was doing fine throughout the practice sessions. The guy refused to get off the course and wanted to finish. He eventually did finish with a 5:05 time but then collapsed when he crossed the finish line. He was rushed to the hospital but he unfortunantly did not make it. He died of a heart attack and was 35.
    Rest in peace Brother!

  14. #74
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    72

    Default

    i didnt take the test because i live about 45 minutes from any career departments in jersey but just asking if anyone knows if any of the handful of departments that dont go by the DOP test are gonna be giving a test within the next year or anytime soon.

  15. #75
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson201 View Post
    From what I understood, your final score is the average of 3 parts: 1) Reading Comp & Math 2)Teamwork 3) Physical. I took the physical for Jersey City, Hoboken was administering the test and the guys were saying that not alot of people were showing up. Also people that did great at the practise sessions were messing up on the actual test.
    I think a big portion of the "no shows", could be schedueled makeups for later dates. For example, I was unable to take the physical test at the designated date, so I submitted a reason and proof of unavailability. The DOP received the paperwork and accepted my makeup request.
    The DOP explained that they will have to take all the people for makeups and reschedule a date for them.

    So this gives me reason that alot of those "no show" folks are approved for makeups.

  16. #76

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    hey Dan just thought i would say that i too ended up getting 3:13 and was very upset cause i to avg between 2:59 and 3:07. i hadent received anything over 3:07 since mid april . so when i crossed the line and the judge showed me the time i was a little puzzled. I cant acount for any one place where i lost time everything ran smooth for me. But like you said 10 guys where to take it on thursday at 2 p.m and only 4 other guys showed up . I stuck around to see how they did and they all did worse 3:18, 3:39, 3:49 and 3:52 but those guys only ran the course like 2 other times and one never ran it. the lady firefighter dont know her name but she daid that yeah ppl wherent showing up in the afternoons but inthe mornings they where geting like 7 ppl and lucky to get 5 in the afternoon.. i'am keeping my fingers crossed. let me know if u find out anything else i still have a few friends waiting to take it. i wish i could get a do over !!!

    dan do you know how many ppl passed the written portion
    This is the great thing about being a COMBAT VETERAN!!!! all u have to do is average on all (3) parts. I took the Agility did it in 3:30, and you know what for me thats all that matters. If you are a Veteran, as long as you finish the course in the required 5:15 you pass the test, and get ahead of the non vets, who did it in like 2:30- 3:00. Not to mention the (10) point volunteer preference, now I have (15) total extra points right off the bat. (10) point volunteer, and (5) point veteran. So even if I only scored an 80% for the test, it does not matter. (15) extra points I now scored a (95), and VETERAN status puts you to the top of the list over anyone else. Bottom line in (NJ) if you want a job as a firefighter, Join the military get your VET status. All (NJ) cares about is meeting their minority quota, due to their ridiculous affirmative action policy. And if u dont live in the city your not even allowed to practice the agility. To me thats discrimination. Bottom line all (NJ) wants to do, is get as many minorities on the job as possible, so they dont get sued. And thats a fact.

  17. #77
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jtfd287 View Post
    This is the great thing about being a COMBAT VETERAN!!!! all u have to do is average on all (3) parts. I took the Agility did it in 3:30, and you know what for me thats all that matters. If you are a Veteran, as long as you finish the course in the required 5:15 you pass the test, and get ahead of the non vets, who did it in like 2:30- 3:00. Not to mention the (10) point volunteer preference, now I have (15) total extra points right off the bat. (10) point volunteer, and (5) point veteran. So even if I only scored an 80% for the test, it does not matter. (15) extra points I now scored a (95), and VETERAN status puts you to the top of the list over anyone else. Bottom line in (NJ) if you want a job as a firefighter, Join the military get your VET status. All (NJ) cares about is meeting their minority quota, due to their ridiculous affirmative action policy. And if u dont live in the city your not even allowed to practice the agility. To me thats discrimination. Bottom line all (NJ) wants to do, is get as many minorities on the job as possible, so they dont get sued. And thats a fact.
    You know I wouldnt expect this kind of attitude from anyone in the service, or a vet, especially since there are alot of folks that feel the veterens preference is a bull and no one should just be given a job. I cant believe you actually feel proud that you didnt need to do well to get hired, and then complain about "minorities".

    There are alot of minorities that live outside of the City and we were not able to practice the agility test. You dont hear me crying about disrcimination cause I have a vag and brown skin. Give me a break.

  18. #78

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubyNJ View Post
    You know I wouldnt expect this kind of attitude from anyone in the service, or a vet, especially since there are alot of folks that feel the veterens preference is a bull and no one should just be given a job. I cant believe you actually feel proud that you didnt need to do well to get hired, and then complain about "minorities".

    There are alot of minorities that live outside of the City and we were not able to practice the agility test. You dont hear me crying about disrcimination cause I have a vag and brown skin. Give me a break.
    as i was saying. as far as only letting people that live within the city practice, its discrimination. Everyone should be entitled the same opportunity. Unfortunatelly, it is true, that (NJ) is known for the practice of consent decree to the extreme. Unfair as well. Everyone should be given a fair chance at the job. unfortunatelly in (NJ) this is not the case.

  19. #79
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    186

    Default

    jtfd287, where do you live, like what town/city? Curious.....You are a volunteer firefighter where you live?

  20. #80
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Ruby I totally agree with you on your comments regarding the other jokers comments about veteran and minorities, he's garbage.

    However, the "discrimination issue" for the major cities that had practice sessions for the physical test for its residents, nothing anyone can do about that if they weren't residents of that city... Newark FD and East Orange FD, for example, rented the Newark Armory from the National Guard with their own funds to have their residents practice. I'm not sure if Irvington had a practice course opened, but I do know that Elizabeth and Jersey City did, but remember that all of these major cities have a few thousand applicants compared to other small towns that only had a hand full.

    Overall, I would recommend moving to your closest major city before the next application dead line some time in 2008 if you want your chances of getting hired to increase... nonetheless, goood luck on your journey, hope you land the job

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-25-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 03:47 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 08-03-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 07:09 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 03-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 11:29 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 02-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 10:23 PM
  5. Let's Hear it for New Jersey!
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts