Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 33404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Forum Member

Anyone put in for Montclair? or have any input on how many guys they wish to hire? Fair process?

Forum Member

Where do you generally look for positions in NJ? I just moved here a few months ago, and have no idea how the testing process works for the state. Is every department using the state civil service test, or do departments just hire at their own desecration? I've been searching the internet for a few months now and had no idea this department was even hiring. Oh Well, any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and most departments there just hire guys that are pre-certified. (except for the big city departments they put you through an academy)

Forum Member

anyone...?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by enginecompany View Post
    Where do you generally look for positions in NJ? I just moved here a few months ago, and have no idea how the testing process works for the state. Is every department using the state civil service test, or do departments just hire at their own desecration? I've been searching the internet for a few months now and had no idea this department was even hiring. Oh Well, any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and most departments there just hire guys that are pre-certified. (except for the big city departments they put you through an academy)
    Not every dept. is using state civil service, but most are. You would want to use the state anyway cause it will minimize corruption. Also, most towns hire according to residency code. I advise you to be a resident of a town/city that hires only from its municipality. Such as, jersey city, newark, paterson, atlantic city...the bigger the city better your chances. The next application is scheduled for early 2014 at njdop.gov

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything for Jersey City? Heard they certified more to replace guys who retired. Is this because of the SAFER grant? Do you have to replace each person who leaves to keep max funding?

Forum Member

Looks like JC is putting in a new class starting in June. Anyone have any information?

Forum Member

looking to gain residency somewhere like hackensack, paterson, or jc. Anyone know which city has a decent shot at getting on the job? The list expires in december correct?

Forum Member

The list is supposed to expire in dec. but it'll prob be extended for another year. Also, I would go for a consent decree jurisdiction that hires residency only and a lot of people at once. Such as, jersey city, newark, paterson. You'll get a lot of experience in those towns and not just train all day long. Easier to move up the ranks. Also, consent decree jurisdiction lists are policed better by the state, which makes hiring more by the book. Small towns only hire a hand full of guys at a time, so with all the "fortunate sons" and veterans, it's unlikely you'll get a spot even if you kill the test.

Forum Member

Does the state formally announce if the list is extended in a timely manner? Any input on places like north hudson, teaneck, hoboken?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hookandbar View Post
    Does the state formally announce if the list is extended in a timely manner? Any input on places like north hudson, teaneck, hoboken?
    The appointing authority (municipality) requests an extension from the state. The state then notifies the current individuals of the extension and their new spot on the list. However, even if an extension is not granted, its unlikely the next test will be expedited. Since most city's are consent decree which slows down the testing process due to red tape. Its likely the next application will be spring of 2014, no matter of the extension. As far as your dept questions.. North hudson is all messed up... They used to be a residency jurisdiction, NO consent decree. On the last list they changed it to all these different county residents could now be selected and as a result, the only reachable prospects were Veterans and mostly disabled-vets. Needless to say it caused a big fiasco there. as for teaneck and hoboken. They both have about a hundred guys on and only hire about 3-5 guys a year. Hoboken costs a fortune to be a resident in and teaneck is non-consent decree, which means dont bother if your not "sombody's" kid. Plus, you wanna go somewhere you can get some real experience and better opportunity for promotions. Where are you currently a resident?

Forum Member

No where yet, looking to make a move soon.

Forum Member

I recently got picked up in a chiefs test (non civil service) town in NJ and knew NOONE, nor did several of the other recent hires. Study, be prepared, and crush the test. People are so quick to blame "not knowing anyone" as the reason the dont get hired. Does it help to know people? sometime, but that's not the only thing tht will get you a job.

Forum Member

knowing people and being someone's son are two different things... when your someone's son, they'll figure out a way to get you, specially in a chief's test town. This is cause the state has no involvement in the hiring process. I'm interested in knowing what chiefs town hires that many guys at once, unless the number of applicants is on the lighter side. But you are right about one thing, being prepared is the best thing anyone can do. As for Hookandbar, like I said before, I would go for one of the bigger urban cities. You have your best shot of getting hired there and you'll be constantly busy applying what you learned in the academy and not just training all the time.

Forum Member

I think AC and Edison that honor

Forum Member

As far as I know NJ has extended their lists to the end of 2014 and possibly 2015. There was a class that graduated in December, 17 guys. I've heard of another class going through around now. I had my oral interview in September 2013 but I haven't heard anything back from them since. Currently number 17 for East Orange.

Forum Member

The civil service commission hasnt even announced an application date.. So, its Very likely that the list will be extended through out 2015, since it takes well over a year to certify a list.

Forum Member

Let's bump this thread to the top
    Last edited by Knightrider01; 02-20-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Forum Member

Newark fire Department

Forum Member

What about Newark? I seen that they just received 5 million for hiring a couple weeks ago so good luck to anyone on their lists.

Forum Member

Hey all,

I want to be a firefighter in NJ. I am a resident on Montclair. What is the best way to know which departments are hiring? Do you have to check each individual town's website to know???

Thread Information