Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Forum Member

hazdan : very glad to hear you did so well. i would think you would even have a good shot at the 1st class if you where well under 100 ranking. you might not get in the first class but i would think they would start the certafication portion for the first 100 on the list and then take as many as they needed and save the other for a 2nd class. i'm just a little shocked that a 3:13 on the physical got you in the top 100. you must have done really well on those videos. anyway cangrats. and please i dont want to hear anything about dop fixing the numbers i'm tired of people saying that. to be a firefighter sometimes is better to have brains over brawn

Default jersey city

i got one for jersey city .....i ranked 487 as a total score ....i did 2:13 on the physical ...so tell me what happened....it's all good though...best of luck to all ...tell you guys what ...i think age has alot to do with it..i'm 30 ??? maybe when i was 20..they probably would of considered me

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any idea if and when Jersey City will be hiring?

Forum Member

Thumbs up north hudson

hey joey this is how it works and it kinda sucks. I got stranded on the last list because of this. It all comes down to whos in front of you and who is behind you. If the officers settle their contracts soon then i think you will have a really good shot. Lots of guys(officers) holding on to see what is going to be offered. If they dont like it off they go, then promotions and new guys. main things to do show your face at events. what town you live in? mayors parties things like that. when you see them introduce yourself put a face to your name.you have to play the politics game. any other questions just ask. Good Luck to you!!

Default Process

Guys, How long, start to finish does the process usually take assuming you rank fairly high? Im a vet so that helps. I understand there announcing the test in spring of 08, how long before the actual test and how long after that does the ball get rolling? Is the background check the last thing done? I have an arrest that Im getting expunged (no conviction) do I have to disclose that? Any info would be appreciated.

Forum Member

I feel your pain NJFELLA. However, you are better off then my 118 ranking. We are going to have to sweat it out for awhile. It was bad enough waiting for this whole testing process to be completed and now the saga continues.

Hey Hazdan,

Since you are obviously a Newark candidate. I was hoping you might be able to answer a couple of question and anyone else please feel free to chime in.

Do you know how many vets are on the Newark list?

What was your final average if you don't mind me asking. If it is to personal then I understand and I mean no disrespect.

How many candidates did Newark have to go through in order to fill the first two classes and then the third one.

Did you hear how many people they are looking to hire for the first and second class? That is of course if they actually put a second class on.

Some of these questions were probably answered in prior threads put I am to lazy to go back and search through them all.

Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Tonyda,

I'm also shocked that a 3:13 was good enough to be in the rank I'm in. I know a few people that got under 3:05 for the best score and ranked way up in the 100's. As for the videos, I was well prepared for it. After the practice sessions the department had at the schools I researched the company that made the videos and ordered their CD from the website. They only had 5 scenarios on the CD and can only of used it 2 times, however, it helped me big time on being prepared for what to expect on the test.

Beleive it or not I'm still upset at myself for getting the 3:13.. during the practice runs I was breaking the 3:05 every run the last 3 weeks of practice.. nonetheless, I'm happy over all...

Good luck to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    hazdan : very glad to hear you did so well. i would think you would even have a good shot at the 1st class if you where well under 100 ranking. you might not get in the first class but i would think they would start the certafication portion for the first 100 on the list and then take as many as they needed and save the other for a 2nd class. i'm just a little shocked that a 3:13 on the physical got you in the top 100. you must have done really well on those videos. anyway cangrats. and please i dont want to hear anything about dop fixing the numbers i'm tired of people saying that. to be a firefighter sometimes is better to have brains over brawn
    dosen't matter what you want to hear. It's the truth. Its just a silly chat room and people are gonna say what they want get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by JC201551 View Post
    Anyone on the list for Jersey City????
    I'm 131 on the JC list. Anyone have any idea of hiring requirements ?

I recently got my score and ranking for Clifton, my score was a 91 and I was ranked 195, I have Clifton residency. This ranking seems way 2 low. Does anyone have a comparable score and ranking.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TJ0711 View Post
    I'm 131 on the JC list. Anyone have any idea of hiring requirements ?

I'm on the list for Jersey City also, you have to have residency at the time of filing the application through your first year once appointed. You must be between 18-35 yrs old. Thats all I know maybe someone else can chime in about Jersey City best of luck.

Forum Member

Sounds right to me jvirgo actually. Residency does not give you extra points, clifton also takes newark residents and from most of essex county i think as well. So your on a list with not only clifton people but other people from other towns.

Forum Member

TJ0711- i'm 172 on the list...a long shot, but at least it's a shot. Of course you have to be living in the city (proof is really important) and pass the drug test which now I hear they are doing hair samples.

Forum Member

jvirgo,

NVetro is correct. I am a Newark resident and I also got placed on the list for Clifton and a few other cities as well.. I beleive all Newark residents automatically get on a list for: Newark, Clifton, Belleville, Bloomfield, Millburn, Burlington, Harrison, Kearny..

Forum Member

actually residency has a lot to do with it. my best and lowest ranking was newark where i currently reside. if residency didn't matter then theirs no way that my ranking should be 3 times higher in Kearney and Harrison. considering the town of Harrison is like 8 blocks long and Kearney isn't that much bigger. and iam certain they did not have as many applicants as Newark did also being why we all go the same ranking for both those towns cause they share departments cause their that small.

jviro : if you ranked 91 in clifiton what did you rank in newark ?

Forum Member

Tonyda, you ranked lower in Newark becuase Newark only takes Newark residents :-) The other towns you are pooled with people from multiple towns.

Forum Member

ok i understand what your saying but you still proved my point that redidency does matter. so who ever is infront of me on the newark list is also infront of me on every other list ?

Forum Member

Everyone who is in front of you newarks list, is in front of you on every other town that ranks newark resisdents that is civil service.

Forum Member

Not shure when dop put this up but you can type in your social now and see what you got on each idividual part of the tests.Dop also states that 2 min and 40 sec and not 3:05 would have goten you the best possiable sore on the physical. that makes a lot of sence to me. I know 3:05 was hard but i think with some training people could have obtained this. i also found that the people who regulerly went to the armory to practice where all doing around that time but very few where doing anything close to 2:40. i had only heard and seen of maybe 3 or 4 guys. and like i thought my worst score was on those videos well below my other two scores

the link to dop results

http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...ghter_opps.htm

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Is there a link to the description/events of the physical?

Thread Information