Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Jersey

Forum Member

tonyda,

Very interesting.. thanks for the link. Now I know exactly how I got my final average. One thing I am kind of disappointed at was how we were informed many times by the Newark firemen that instructed the courses and pre-examination test practice sites that 3min05sec will get you the best score possible on the Physical Performance Test. I know this isn't an excuse not to do any better; however, being misinformed is extremely disappointing. But hey, maybe they were also misinformed... no finger pointing besides ourselves for not trying to get much better than 3min5sec, its all good... I'm ranked well under 100 so I am happy after all :-)

Forum Member

Forum Member

yeah from what i understand they pretty much graded each part on a curve they use the word "standardized". I dont think they lied when they said 3:05 would get you the best score. What i think happen was that in past years on a curved OR "standardized" scale as they like to put it 3:05 would have goten you the best score. This year being that they had way more aplicants then in years past the scale had to change and also they had more candiadets better physicaly then in years past. remember this years test didnt have the "bio date" and from what i heard that part of the test portion casued a lot of people to fail 2 yrs ago so they replaced it with the team work videos and they had more people pass the first two portions of the test this year. but i rather they have said nothing about 3:05 and they just say "do the fasts time you can". but i agree people who got 2:40 should be rewarded over people who got 3:05 . i dont think it would have been fair for a guy who does 25 seconds slower then you to get the same score.

Forum Member

Tonyda,

I agree a million percent, the faster you do it the better your score should be. They should have said "there is no time to beat other than the other candidates, do the best you can, the faster you finish the course the more you score".

I just think it was bad advice that they had all of the cadidates focused on one time to beat. Regardless of all that, I'm still happy with my final, being in double-digits is a great rank to be in for the Newark list.. good luck to all

Forum Member

anyone on this forum take and pass the atlantic city exam?

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything about a Newark FD academy class? Some say 15 some say 30 sometime around Feb'ish. Any rumors? Anyone get any certs from Newark?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anybody have any idea on when Jersey City is looking to hire? I heard they started doing backround checks already.

Forum Member

I beleive in March they will be hiring.. Investigations should start mid-late January or early Feb... also not sure how accurate this is but Newark always tries to get close to 50 per class, all though they usually get 30'sh for some reason..

I wonder how much time the Arson Investigators that investigate new candidates have to investigate all certiified candidates for hiring, this is probably why they never get the full class of 50, not enough time..?????

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HazardousDan View Post
    I wonder how much time the Arson Investigators that investigate new candidates have to investigate all certiified candidates for hiring, this is probably why they never get the full class of 50, not enough time..?????
    You have no idea what you are talking about.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

What do you mean GeorgeWendtCFI?

Forum Member

I took the Atlantic city exam... again i heard from a chief last month that they wont be hiring till april 08. but i talk to many other people in around and about, they say as early as february....does anyone know how to find info on how many vets there are on the list...

good luck to all

Forum Member

how many did they say they are planning on hiring. I heard 35 first class,but a total of 70-80 off the list.

Forum Member

GeorgeWendtCFI,

Once candidates are certified from the list for hiring, they are investigated for residency, criminal records, etc, and for the Newark Fire Department, the Arson Investigators do some of the investigating.. And I only know this is fact because I have family, and many many good friends in the NFD.

Forum Member

sjd310,there are 22 vets on the list. 279 total people on the list.

Forum Member

hey deco...how did you find out this information ( how many vets on the list and total # of eligibles)...is it public information?

did AC recently get a new salary structure, i heard something of the sort but not too sure...

Forum Member

the list is public info. You have to put a request in to the dop.I got a copy of the list.

Some Guy

I don't want to scare anybody, but you better make sure that your residency is locked up. No matter where you are looking to get hired.

I have a really good friend that was hired by the Newark PD a few years ago. He honestly lived there. He had 2 stolen car reports, and a break in to prove it. Not only that, but his neighbors were all visited by his friendly investigator. The guy even showed his picture at a local store.

I can assure you that they are going to be looking even harder at you. Lock it in.
    This space for rent

Default how do I request a copy of the list for elizabeth fd?

This message is for deco2012. How do I get a copy of the eligibility list for Elizabeth Fire Department? You said you need to put in a request. How do I process that request?
    Thanks

Default I've gotten the list

I got the list from the DOP. It says that 276 are eligible and 22 vets are on the list for Elizabeth. So if I ranked in the mid 100's on the original list before residency checks, background checks etc., does that mean I'm still that far from the front of the line or has my number been moved up since originally the list had about 1200 applicants on it. Just wondering where I stand on being hired before the next exam. Thanks for any "facts" that someone can shed on this subject.

Forum Member

nope that means your still in the mid 100's. residency checks, background checks etc are done first. so for example they decide their going to hire 50 people off your list so what they do is they get the first 50 people ranked on your list so in your case it would be the 22 vets and then 28 reguler people. but during the checks they find that lets say 10 people lied about residency their names would be erased from that list so now they still need those 10 people so they go back to the list and now check rankings 51-60 and if those people dont check out they keep going till they get 50 ppl that passed all their checks

Thread Information