Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 45 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Jersey

Does anybody know when we should be recieving more inoformation about how we did on the New Jersey test?

Forum Member

some time early spring

Forum Member

i think the spring too, ill be checking the mailbox as well

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...ATUSREPORT.pdf

the status report is updated monthly if you need to find out the current news on the firefighter testing.

Forum Member

To apply with the city of Camden NJ, is it true you need to be a resident? Im in Florida but would love to work in Camden, how would I go about that? Or should I just forget about it?

ayy wats up guys im new to the site im on a vol dept now and was wondering about how i would go to get on a paid company in nj,, thxs john

MembersZone Subscriber

forget about it. yes there is a residency prefrence. they are part of the state civil service which pretty much means everyone in the state takes the same test then you get put on the list by the state. it depends sometimes you may have to live in the city or in some places just live in the county but camden you have to live in camden. there are a handful maybe 5 cities in NJ that dont do it that way but most do. something like 70 departments. its supposed to keep it fair but sometimes it doesnt work that way. i dont live in a good area as far as getting hired by any departments that go by the state civil service so its been pretty hard for me. also camden may get a lot of work but it isnt the worst city in america for nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

anyone wanna get a place in JC, hoboken, or North Hudson area? heh

hey whats goin on guys im new to the site and was just wondering how i would be able to start my career as a paid firefighter in new jersey im a voulenteer right now and curently in the USMC with a crash fire rescue MOS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jklm128 View Post
    anyone wanna get a place in JC, hoboken, or North Hudson area? heh

I might be buying a place in JC soon. Tired of renting. Gonna see how good I do on the physical. Been training alot for it.

Oh yea, good luck in Camden, I was thinking about trying there, then I realized I didnt wanna get shot.

Forum Member

do they make one list for the state, or seperate lists for each town (like the one you put down for on the test)?

also, i think for residency its in the town/city, not just the county.

Thanks

Forum Member

Default Camden City Fire

If you wanted to get hired by Camden, you would have to have noted Camden (and provided an address) on your application to take the written. Apparently you can't change your residency after the test (so its too late now) -- this is what I heard from a Capt. in Camden City.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't forget that all the major cities in NJ are also consent decree cities. What does this mean? Legalized racism against non minority's. So even if you moved to Camden, got residency, took the test, scored exceptionally well, you still may not get hired because they have a quota to meet based on the racial make up of the city versus the fire department. If the city is 80% black, then some judge somewhere decided that the fire department must also be 80% black. If it is currently only at 50%, then damn near the whole recruit class hired will need to be black (or whatever minority group they feel they need). And people always said the south was racist...

Forum Member

When you take the NJ Civil Service fire exam you do not put where you want to apply......the NJ DOP parses that data for you acording to your zip code. IE: If you live in Newark, you also get ranked for towns such as Belleville, Harrison, Millburn, etc..... As for Camden....you DO NOT need to be a resident to apply, Camden takes all applicants. I am pretty sure they take from their city, then county, then state in that order. But I took the test 3-4 years ago just for practice (didn't have residency anywhere) and I was ranked on Camden & Atlantic city in the upper 1500's (no residency hurts) but you can apply, chances are you wont get on though unless ya live there.

Default NJ civil service cities

If you are a white male and you are looking to be a urban firefighter in the state of NJ you had better pick a city,start renting and put all bills with that address. Anything in your life that has your address had better have that city address on it. The CORRECT process for any civil service city in NJ(Camden, Jersey City, Atlantic City, Newark.....etc) is that you MUST be a resident of the city on the date that the application is due with the state. You must maintain continous residency in that city from that date up until the time of appointment.(the day you actually get sworn in). These cities are very picky with paperwork and addresses(especially if you are white), but it is not impossible to get hired. I know for a fact that Camden is almost overstaffed due to their recent class, but a good choice is Jersey city because they continually hire almost every year and there base salary is the second highest in the state.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeyboy View Post
    If you are a white male and you are looking to be a urban firefighter in the state of NJ you had better pick a city,start renting and put all bills with that address. Anything in your life that has your address had better have that city address on it. The CORRECT process for any civil service city in NJ(Camden, Jersey City, Atlantic City, Newark.....etc) is that you MUST be a resident of the city on the date that the application is due with the state. You must maintain continous residency in that city from that date up until the time of appointment.(the day you actually get sworn in). These cities are very picky with paperwork and addresses(especially if you are white), but it is not impossible to get hired. I know for a fact that Camden is almost overstaffed due to their recent class, but a good choice is Jersey city because they continually hire almost every year and there base salary is the second highest in the state.
    what if i am a black woman?
    Last edited by jklm128; 02-28-2007 at 05:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

oop, it posted again, sorry.

Forum Member

where can you find out the different pay scales for different towns/cities in NJ?

the payscales of civil service firefighters are public records. you can contact the appropriate city hall for that department and they can eventually lead you to the right person who can answer your question.

Forum Member

Newark is the highest paid fire dept in the state of NJ, not Jersey City fyi.

Thread Information