Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Responding in NY

So here I am buffing it out watching some FDNY footage on youtube while sitting in the delivery room waiting for my first child.

I can't imagine what it is like to run a call in that city. Getting there that is.

NY guys....a few questions

1. Why is it that the guys stand outside and wait for the rig to pull out rather than be on the rig and just go? I saw this on a few videos from different companies.

2. Does anyone pull over? Most traffic I saw just seemed to move along as though the rig wasn't there. Can NYers not see flashing lights?

3. Do any of the guys just turn the siren on and let it go. It seems there are many times that they just "tap" the siren rather than let it go.

4. Along with #2 they seem to just take their time. Is this because of the traffic that they don't seem to get going faster down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post

2. Does anyone pull over? Most traffic I saw just seemed to move along as though the rig wasn't there. Can NYers not see flashing lights?
    Actually, these lights are invisible to most Americans and all Koreans.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

To answer question #1, someone has to close the apparatus door.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasnt aware the lights were invisible....I think they do a pretty good job of making people look at you so they could tell when to come to a dead stop right in front of you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    Actually, these lights are invisible to most Americans and all Koreans.
    DWO!!! LMAO!

On to the questions:

1. Dept regulations, to prevent any civilian from walking into the rig when pulling out and to stop traffic to allow the rig to pull out.

2. They see them and don't care...most try to follow us down the blocks and through lights until we arrive at the box and 9 cabs are blocking out the 1st and 2nd Due Ladder co.

3. No, not usually. No reason to use it except at intervals until we approach and intersection and then we also can listen for other companies comming from nearby. lets say an average 12+ runs a day, you'd be deaf in no time.

4. 2 Men got charges from getting in a wreck. 10 and 15 days pay each...we'll get to you when we can. And see your question No.2

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-15-2007 at 06:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BMAIGM View Post
    To answer question #1, someone has to close the apparatus door.
    We use remotes. Most of our stations all have front ramps large enough for the rig to pull out and be seen before entering the street. I do see, being right off the street, where having guys watch for peds and traffic would be needed.

Forum Member

Hey ehs7554, congratulations on your first kid, and wish you well!! Good Luck Bro, You'll need it!!!!

Forum Member

Congrats on the baby, hopefully it goes to the bathroom standing up :-) Where I work everyone except the officer and obviously the Chauffeur goes out in the street to stop traffic and watch the morons that try to beat the truck out of the barn. The Engina does the same thing for their responses. Anyone who has the job in NYC drives in NYC or more specifically Manhattan one point in their life, and if you can drive here you can understand what it is like to respond here. Where I work we have 99% 5 and 6 story tenements so when responding at night you look for headlights off the buildings and the siren is not doing a thing, the merengue music at 130db's is drowning anything you throw at them out!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    the merengue music at 130db's is drowning anything you throw at them out!
    Reggaeton.......meng!
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Like most topics around these forums: everyones method is suited to their own area. Being a chauffer in NYC is nothing like being a chauffer in a small rural area! Or an area where you have large ramps out in front of you firehouse! One of my biggest concerns at work is people and their cars, they are always my first thought when we get to a box, hell even getting off the rig in front of quarters they are my first thought. I almost got clipped a few weeks ago because some moron tried to go around us (on an extremely narrow street). Thankfully the brother in the rear got on the handytalky and gave me a warning! I guess he just could'nt wait to get to the red light at the end of the block!
    Last edited by firefiftyfive; 02-15-2007 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive View Post
    I almost got clipped a few weeks ago because some moron tried to go around us (on an extremely narrow street). Thankfully the brother in the rear got on the handytalky and gave me a warning! I guess he just could'nt wait to get to the red light at the end of the block!
    Likewise.....This has happened to me a few times. Being that the house is on a busy street....no one wants to stop for the rigs. They would rather mow down a fireman or two just to get to the red light.
    IACOJ Member

I can't imagine driving a ladder truck through NYC traffic. Nope, not even close. We have traffic problems here with several state highways coming together and an interstate as well, but nothing like NYC. Most vehicles have an Opticom type traffic controller to change the stoplights so it makes life a lot easier.

I could see that be a huge benefit, but also a huge, huge investment for FDNY.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Wittmer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    The Engina does the same thing for their responses.
    Am I the only one that finds this funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Wittmer View Post
    Am I the only one that finds this funny?

Its typical truck humor. Dry,and without consequent laughter.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its typical truck humor. Dry,and without consequent laughter.
    Truckies have a sense of humor??

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I can't imagine driving a ladder truck through NYC traffic. Nope, not even close.
    I agree. We have a certain stupidity level, but I can't imagine what you guys have to contend with. I drove
    in Seoul for awhile but in a much smaller vehicle.

If you haven't been paying attention, that's here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seoul
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

I find driving in NYC to be very fun because it can be a real challenge. Hell not even the pedestrians care that you are there, we have to go around them sometimes too. I swear sometimes they are just looking to get hit! Just make sure you are paying attention!

Forum Member

Putting 21st century engines in 19th century engine bays sometimes mean there isn't enough clearance to board the firefighters position inside. We couldn't get in the left side of one engine in our old building.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post

I could see that be a huge benefit, but also a huge, huge investment for FDNY.

You are assuming that people stop for red lights and stop signs....especially at night....it doesn't happen.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

So what happens if you stop at a green light??......Hm

Thread Information