Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recycled???

Forum Member

Unhappy Recycled???

Hello,

I started the recruit academy for my department on october 9th, '06. We have a week and a half to go now. On dec. 22nd, Myself and another recruit were raising a 35ft two section ladder in ground ladders class. I was on the halyard. Well, the ladder began to fall and it was almost fully extended. I instinctively tried to help my partner regain control of the ladder. When I let go of the halyard, the dogs were not locked, I thought they were, so the fly sec. came sliding down and struck my right pinky finger. It cut right through my glove, and basically took all the skin and flesh off the top of the finger for about an inch. Also, it ripped the tendon away from the bone. I was taken to the hospital and was treated and released. I saw an orthopoedist the next week and was placed on light duty. Long story short, I was unable to coplete ladders, search and survival, and fire streams due to the injury and the splint/wrapping. I have passed, with an 80 or better, EVERY single FFI and II class and certification test, even the ones that I just listed, (I was just unable to do the practicals).
    Today I was pulled from class (structural fire attack began today, simulated) And told that I was to be "recycled" and would have to go back through recruit training with the next group of new hires beginning in august. I am heartbroken and don't know exactly what to do now. This academy has been the absolute hardest thing I have ever been through. All this time, I have been under the impression that I would just have to make up the practicals that I missed at the first available opportunity. Now they put this on me, saying, not in so many words that, "if you want to stay, this is what you'll do. I have no problem making up what I need to. No problem at all, I've been expecting that. But to me this feels like I'm being puninshed for getting injured. Has anyone else ever had anything similar happen to them?

Florida Boy!
    Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Sorry Bro,
    It kinda of stinks but Suck it up and do it again, until you are off probation and under the TLC of a strong Union, you can be terminated at any time for anything no questions asked, dont make waves, let everyone in you new academy know how happy you are to have a second chance, get through it and remember how many people would take your job in a second....two academys or not!

MembersZone Subscriber

When you start the next one - something many people will never get to do even once - you'll be the crusty veteran in the group. The new probie-wannabes will look up to you. Suck it up and be a good example. Sorry, but despite your disappointment I think you need to realize that you're still in a very lucky subset of society to have even gotten this far along. You'll be fine.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Wow,
    You guys are really starting to put a new light on this whole thing!! I think I just may do that.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by RMFD8469 View Post
    Wow,
    You guys are really starting to put a new light on this whole thing!! I think I just may do that.
    Did I just hear the little lightbulb in RMFD's head click on?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Did I just hear the little lightbulb in RMFD's head click on?
    As long as he keeps it lit.

Thread Information