Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Andy Norris thats it, thats the guy. Yeah He was my favorite. he would push us hard But he would also make it fun. he would pick on me all the time, but it was all in fun and games.

yeah I doubt we would run in to each other at a Fire. thats is quite a distance. Have you run in to LT. Brandon Spect yet???

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't think so. He's from Pewaukee? If he is, he must be at station 3. I probably saw him, but didn't get to talk.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=173065&rfi=8

Run11, there's info about that fire on there.

Forum Member

Go to class for a few days and miss three fires, geez.

Anyway in GB lately there were three fires this week. The latest one was started apparently by a kid playing with a lighter in a balloon frame constructed house. Don't really have the details on the other two, but been a busy week so far. There were a couple fires here and there since my last post, but been awhile since there was a week like this. The fire started by the kid, a rig left the scene of another fire to respond to that one, so a nice back to backer.

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Don't think so. He's from Pewaukee? If he is, he must be at station 3. I probably saw him, but didn't get to talk.

I think he is station 1 Not 100%sure though

But other than that its Been 18 Months since we have had a Fire in our District. so I guess our Fire Prevention program must be paying off.

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Go to class for a few days and miss three fires, geez.

Anyway in GB lately there were three fires this week. The latest one was started apparently by a kid playing with a lighter in a balloon frame constructed house. Don't really have the details on the other two, but been a busy week so far. There were a couple fires here and there since my last post, but been awhile since there was a week like this. The fire started by the kid, a rig left the scene of another fire to respond to that one, so a nice back to backer.

which class did you go to???

Default Barn Fire Northern Milwaukee County

Just curious on details for a Barn Fire late Monday night/Tuesday morning right on the border of Waukesha and Milwaukee County. It looked like it was rolling really good, the smoke was intense. We got called off just as we were able to see the orange glow.

Any details?

Thanks,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Runn11 View Post
    which class did you go to???
    Collapse shoring at Volk Field

oh ok There was a few people I know that went to Iowa for a F/S Farm rescue tranning that weekend.

on Seconed note Richfield Had a house fire lastnight. Toned out about 10:30PM lastnight. andup to 5 Dept where there. My co-worker got home at 4:30AM. Cudoes to him for still comming to work at 10:00 AM this morning. I dont think I would have been able to do that.

Forum Member

This is from the Green Bay Press Gazette. Plisken were you there for this?

Superior mourns 4 men killed in landfill pit
    Toxin knocked workers out

By BRIAN BAKST
    The Associated Press

SUPERIOR — Two of the four workers killed by toxic fumes in a landfill pit here came from a well-known family that owned the landfill and earned a reputation for working hard, authorities and friends said Friday.
    "These were the type of guys who didn't sit in the office and have people go out and do the work for them. They actually go out and do a lot of it themselves," said Jeff Vito, the director of economic development for Superior and the city's former public works director.

The men died Thursday trying to fix a sewer in a hole 3-feet in diameter and at least a dozen feet deep at the privately owned landfill, authorities said. The level of deadly hydrogen sulfide fumes inside the pit was so high it would have immediately knocked each worker unconscious, experts said.
    Douglas County Sheriff Thomas Dalbec identified the victims as brothers Joseph P. Kimmes III, 44, and Scott A. Kimmes, 40, along with Harold Tim Olson, 47, and Paul E. Cossalter, 41.

The brothers' father, Joseph Kimmes II, founded J. Kimmes Construction, which owns the landfill and several other companies.
    Dalbec said Cossalter worked for a contractor. He was not certain about Olson's employment.

The four men were working with two others, who called 911 after the men ailed to emerge from the hole. The smell of rotten eggs is apparent with even small amounts of hydrogen sulfide, Superior Fire Chief Tad Matheson said.
    But the men might not have understood what the smell signified, as firefighters who pulled them from the hole did not detect any respirators or safety masks, Matheson said.

It's believed one worker got in trouble and the others went in one at a time, apparently to help, the sheriff said. The men were working at the pit to install a new pump.
    Superior Mayor David Ross said the city was shocked by the tragedy.
    The Kimmes family is prominent in town, he said.
    "They were always the one to roll up their sleeves and make sure things happen," the mayor said.
    "The father has been certainly the leader for many years. He has also been a gracious father who has allowed his sons to take significant leadership roles in their businesses."

Ross recalled that Joseph P. Kimmes III, the oldest son in the family, was quick to offer the city a piece of construction equipment to help recover some victims of a downtown tavern fire about three years ago.

"I remember him showing up at the scene with that equipment and just putting everything he had into making sure that we could recover these two fatalities in the fire," the mayor said. "The boys and father are very dedicated businessmen."

The Kimmes brothers and Olson were from the village of Superior or more rural parts of Douglas County, Dalbec said. Cossalter came from Wrenshall, Minn.
    Seventy-one-year-old Joseph Kimmes said he was not sure exactly what happened at the pit.
    The landfill was for demolition products, such as when buildings were torn down, he said. It does not handle garbage or hazardous materials.
    The sewer was a "big collection tank" that collected drainage and leached water from the landfill before it was pumped into the city sewer system, Kimmes said.

Kimmes started J. Kimmes Construction in 1989 and four of his sons took over in 2005, he said.
    Vito said he has worked with the Kimmes family for 25 years. They own seven or eight different businesses, including a paving company, a heating oil business and a gasoline station, he said.

The two brothers killed by the fumes were down-to-earth and hard working, Vito said. "It was pretty standard for them to work 12 to 14 hours a day and they did that six days a week. Typically, they saved Sunday for a family day."
    Both sons who were killed were married, Vito said. The oldest son — often called Joey — had a hobby farm with horses and he had a son who was being brought into the business as a third generation, Vito said.
    Mark Hysell, area director for the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, said two inspectors arrived at the landfill Friday and started their investigation, which would include interviewing witnesses.
    It could be six months before the final report on the investigation is issued, he said.

Default Yes I WAS

Yes I was, I was driving the first rig in, with my captain and my pipeman driving our rescue rig with the confined space equipment.. This is a great example as to why we have to look before we leap. We were told one person in the well,(on dispatch) after we arrived it was 4. It was training and experance that told us to slow down, hydrogen sulfide 200+ppm, Low O2, Lel above limits and lack of personal to safely consider rescue. Considering was not a thought, CFR1910.120 spells it out. since the investigation is still going on all I will say here is, Use your Training, brain and gut to determine your course of action, not your heart.
    Last edited by plisken; 11-04-2007 at 03:36 PM.
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

Forum Member

Plisken,

Were the workers using the proper stuff for the confined space work? IE, harness, gas monitoring etc? Or is this all part of the investigation stuff that you can't share?

The answer is NO, Nothing, NADA.. Once the OSHA guys leave I will Answer any question so we can all learn from or at least get something out of it... I will play tight lip till I get the go ahead so I don't compermise anything in the investigation..... I tell ya going down a hole in training is nothing. Knowing your going down in a TRUE IDLH environment that has just claimed 4 is Insane. I bet I checked things, Air, beaners, everything 50 times in my 3 trips down and up... hopefully this is a once in a career event though, Keep in touch and I will let you gents know whats up.. Later
    Last edited by plisken; 11-06-2007 at 04:53 PM.

plisken, Outstanding job to the Superior Fire Department on the confined space call. Kudos to the leadership for stepping back and assessing the situation prior to adding more bodies. Job well done.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

It's been a busy Thanksgiving in the Milwaukee Suburbs.

There was a fire in Oak Creek on Thanksgiving night that I don't know too much about. I got paged into South Milwaukee because the on duty crew responded to a full assignment. As I showed up they upgraded to a box alarm. All I know was that it was a house fire.

Then around noon today(Friday) South Milwaukee responded to an apartment fire. I showed up at the scene which also eventually got upgraded to a box alarm. One complete apartment is gone and then there is significant damage to other parts. Two firefighter from South Milwaukee were injured. I'm not positive on the details, but I think one twisted up his knee and another was cut by a large piece of glass.

Forum Member

Busy Thanksgiving in WI sounds like.

Local news here is reporting a fire with fatality in the City of Milwaukee. Don't have much for details except the individual tried putting the fire out himself when he died.

Green Bay had an 8 unit apartment complex fire in the early morning hours of Thursday. The closest engine to the fire was out on a BS brush fire so there was a delayed response waiting for the next in rigs to get to the fire. Sixteen left homeless, one FF to the hospital for slipping on the ice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Big fire in Milwaukee today. Just saw on the news that two people died. Several people were jumping out of the windows. I looked at a forum on wifirefeeds.com and saw that they called for a 3rd alarm.

Forum Member

Big fire in Milwaukee today. Just saw on the news that two people died. Several people were jumping out of the windows. I looked at a forum on wifirefeeds.com and saw that they called for a 3rd alarm.

Thanks for posting that, I saw the news on it up here, but didn't get a chance to post about it.

Green Bay also had a large apartment complex on fire the same night. No injuries, but left 130 residents displaced. The Green Bay Press Gazette has some good photos of it on their sire. www.greenbaypressgazette.com

I thought the battalion chief seemed "flustered" in the interview on the news. Sounds / looks like it was a huge one.

Thread Information