MembersZone Subscriber

Default Yes I WAS

Yes I was, I was driving the first rig in, with my captain and my pipeman driving our rescue rig with the confined space equipment.. This is a great example as to why we have to look before we leap. We were told one person in the well,(on dispatch) after we arrived it was 4. It was training and experance that told us to slow down, hydrogen sulfide 200+ppm, Low O2, Lel above limits and lack of personal to safely consider rescue. Considering was not a thought, CFR1910.120 spells it out. since the investigation is still going on all I will say here is, Use your Training, brain and gut to determine your course of action, not your heart.
    Last edited by plisken; 11-04-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

Forum Member

Plisken,

Were the workers using the proper stuff for the confined space work? IE, harness, gas monitoring etc? Or is this all part of the investigation stuff that you can't share?

MembersZone Subscriber

The answer is NO, Nothing, NADA.. Once the OSHA guys leave I will Answer any question so we can all learn from or at least get something out of it... I will play tight lip till I get the go ahead so I don't compermise anything in the investigation..... I tell ya going down a hole in training is nothing. Knowing your going down in a TRUE IDLH environment that has just claimed 4 is Insane. I bet I checked things, Air, beaners, everything 50 times in my 3 trips down and up... hopefully this is a once in a career event though, Keep in touch and I will let you gents know whats up.. Later
    Last edited by plisken; 11-06-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Truckie

plisken, Outstanding job to the Superior Fire Department on the confined space call. Kudos to the leadership for stepping back and assessing the situation prior to adding more bodies. Job well done.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

It's been a busy Thanksgiving in the Milwaukee Suburbs.

There was a fire in Oak Creek on Thanksgiving night that I don't know too much about. I got paged into South Milwaukee because the on duty crew responded to a full assignment. As I showed up they upgraded to a box alarm. All I know was that it was a house fire.

Then around noon today(Friday) South Milwaukee responded to an apartment fire. I showed up at the scene which also eventually got upgraded to a box alarm. One complete apartment is gone and then there is significant damage to other parts. Two firefighter from South Milwaukee were injured. I'm not positive on the details, but I think one twisted up his knee and another was cut by a large piece of glass.

Forum Member

Busy Thanksgiving in WI sounds like.

Local news here is reporting a fire with fatality in the City of Milwaukee. Don't have much for details except the individual tried putting the fire out himself when he died.

Green Bay had an 8 unit apartment complex fire in the early morning hours of Thursday. The closest engine to the fire was out on a BS brush fire so there was a delayed response waiting for the next in rigs to get to the fire. Sixteen left homeless, one FF to the hospital for slipping on the ice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Big fire in Milwaukee today. Just saw on the news that two people died. Several people were jumping out of the windows. I looked at a forum on wifirefeeds.com and saw that they called for a 3rd alarm.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Big fire in Milwaukee today. Just saw on the news that two people died. Several people were jumping out of the windows. I looked at a forum on wifirefeeds.com and saw that they called for a 3rd alarm.

Thanks for posting that, I saw the news on it up here, but didn't get a chance to post about it.

Green Bay also had a large apartment complex on fire the same night. No injuries, but left 130 residents displaced. The Green Bay Press Gazette has some good photos of it on their sire. www.greenbaypressgazette.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I thought the battalion chief seemed "flustered" in the interview on the news. Sounds / looks like it was a huge one.

Forum Member

yeah that was the talk of our department for that night I thought I heard it was started by someone that was a convicted for arson once before. But at 4:20 Am tusday Morning we had a Barn Fire Here is Ashippun 4 doors down from my place, at the same time Oakfield had a Big Barn Fire as well. we lost the barn there was no saving it. I was the only one that saw it that made it to the station (everyone else that responded came from the other direstion), and I told everyone that by the time we get there is will be fully engulfed, if not down. and by the time we got handlines charged it was down. but Mind you it was not a big barn. so that was our first fire inour area in 19 months.

Forum Member

Wow Call me the thread Killer Just wanna say Its Been a Busy Week for us. M.A. House Fire call. Car Fire, and a nother M.A. House fire Call. and a First Responder Run on saturday. I know to some of ya thats Slow But Its whats going on hear in our little neck of the woods.

MembersZone Subscriber

This past weekend has been busy for everyone on SE WI. Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties were running like crazy. I know there were fires in Brookfield, Oconomowoc, Cudahy, Hales Corners, Greenfield, and two in Oak Creek. I think there were a few more as well. Then of course some in Milwaukee.

Forum Member

Front page on Firehouse.com. Nice job to the Milwaukee Fire Dept.

Jasper were you on this one at all?

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...1&sectionId=46
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

9 Sept 2008

Apartment blaze likely arson

A fire that destroyed a four-unit apartment building early today is being investigated as arson, a Milwaukee police spokesman said this morning.

Sgt. Mark Stanmeyer said the blaze remains under investigation after it totaled the vacant building about 12:30 a.m. at 8147 W. Bender Ave. No one was hurt.

Forum Member

9 Sept 2008

Teen awakens to flames, rescues sisters

A 14-year-old boy awoke to find his home in flames before he safely escaped through a bedroom window and then rescued his two younger sisters last night, according to the Milwaukee Fire Department.

Battalion 2 Fire Chief Pepie DuDeVoire said the girls apparently were cooking on the stove earlier in the evening and left a pan of grease on the stove without turning off the flame.

The boy was caring for his sisters, according to DuDeVoire.

Smoke detectors alerted the sleeping children to the fire, which was reported about 10:21 p.m. at the two-story home in the 5000 block of N. 47th St.

DuDeVoire said the smoke detectors "without a doubt probably saved their lives."

The boy fled through the window of his first floor bedroom and then rescued his sisters through another window before alerting a neighbor.

"The fact that he got his sisters out, it was pretty clear thinking," DuDeVoire said. "I thought he did a good job. He was pretty shook when I was talking to him."

The initial call to the fire department was for the smell of smoke but when firefighters arrived they found that the burning grease had ignited and extended to the kitchen.

It burned the cabinets, walls and ceiling, causing about $12,000 in damage. The children's bedrooms are just off of the kitchen. The children were not injured. No firefighters were injured in the blaze.

DuDeVoire did not have information on where the children's parents were at the time of the fire but said an aunt responded to care for them. The family will be temporarily displaced from their home.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to provide assistance.

Forum Member

9 Sept 2008

Stolen car set ablaze in garage

A fire that was started in stolen car inside a garage on the city's north side destroyed the vehicle and the structure then spread to the exterior of a neighboring garage last night, according to the Milwaukee Fire Department.

The case has been referred to Milwaukee police for investigation.

Firefighters were called just before 3 a.m. to 2900 block of N. 40th St., Battalion 2 Fire Chief Pepie DuDeVoire said. Damage to the structure was estimated at $15,000, he said.

The fire caused $1,000 in damage to a garage next door.

About 17 firefighters responded to the scene. No one was injured.

In other fire department incidents:

# Battalion 2 firefighters responded to a home in the 4700 block of N. 29th St. about 3:51 p.m. on Monday, where an overheated dryer ignited clothing and caused $2,500 in damage to the home's basement. There were no injuries.

# Firefighters from Battalion 3 were called to a home in the 2000 block of S. 31st St. about 12:30 p.m. Monday after a natural gas line that feeds a dryer was bumped and left wide open. All of the residents had evacuated safely before calling for firefighters, who cut off the gas supply and ventilated the home, according to Battalion 3 Chief Randall Zingler. There were no injuries.

Forum Member

9 Sept 2008

MILWAUKEE -- It's a call one veteran fire department lieutenant will never forget.

“This was unusual because it all unfolded right in front of us,” Lt. Ron Firnrohr said.

Firnrohr and his crew responded to a fender-bender on 24th and National Sunday night.

“We thought this was going to be your average run-of-the-mill traffic accident,” Firnrohr said.

But it wasn't. Police said a car got hit by an SUV and ran off the road.

While the four-person fire crew was making sure everyone was OK, a large crowd formed at the scene and people started brawling. That's when firefighters said someone connected to the SUV came out with a gun.

“I relayed that to our dispatcher, and as I'm done saying that, I hear a number of shots ring out,” said Firnrohr.

The crew couldn't get the truck out of the area and into safety until police arrived, so the firefighters had to take cover behind their rig.

“We didn't know where the alleged gunman was coming toward us, but we did know someone who had been shot was coming toward our apparatus,” Firnrohr said.

Rescuers say the man had been hit five times. The crew made a decision to leave their cover, run out to get the victim, put him on the rig and drive a block away where they started working on him.

“This person was probably lucky we were there to provide immediate care,” Firnrohr said.

The lieutenant said he's grateful the man survived, but he never thought he'd have to dodge bullets to do his job.

Forum Member

Posted with respect

Ceremony honors firefighters lost on 9-11

Milwaukee firefighters stood in three lines with black bands across their badges and listened somberly this morning to a roll call of their fallen brothers and sisters who died responding to the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

Seven years have passed since the attacks, but the firefighters in Milwaukee and across the country remain devoted to remembering the bravery and dedication of the 343 who died.

"They never hesitated," Milwaukee Fire Chief Douglas Holton said. "They were going up when everybody else was coming down.

"We bow our heads and our hearts to the effort of the firefighters that day."

The ceremony outside the Milwaukee department headquarters started with a salute, as David Harris, a member of the honor guard, slowly lowered the flag to half-staff. Holton and Bobbie Weber, president of the firefighters union, alternated their way through the list of names.

"We want everybody to remember the names of the firefighters and their families," Holton said. "Sometimes, in a tragedy of this magnitude, the individuals and their families are forgotten."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BrewCityFF; 09-11-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for sharing that Brew City.

Green Bay also held a similar rememberance ceremony in front of the 9/11 memorial in Green Bay.

God bless those who have fallen and for those who continue on, stay safe out there.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

19 SEPT 2008

A south side fire that caused $120,000 in damage and displaced at least 30 residents from their homes overnight remains under investigation, Milwaukee police said this morning.

It is not yet known whether the fire, which began at 12:30 a.m., has any connection to an earlier call last night at the same two-story building at 3615 W. National Ave., where firefighters found a burned T-shirt in a second-floor hallway of the building, according to Battalion 3 Fire Chief Randall Zingler. Some of the occupants had put out the fire with an extinguisher. Firefighters made sure the fire was out.

That fire, too, is under investigation, according to police.

No one was hurt in either fire.

In the larger blaze, firefighters found a second-story apartment fully engulfed in flames, with fire blowing out of the windows, Zingler said.

"Our guys got in there quickly," he said. "They held it to one apartment. It's an excellent, excellent job. This could have potentially been a lot more serious."

Zingler said the building's wood frame construction made it easy for fire to spread from one unit to the next.

"The time of day is always a big issue. When you have a fire that late at night and people sleeping, many don't get word and get out easily. That's when you have fatalities," he said.

He added: "Nobody was injured. It was truly a blessing."

Zingler said he saw a smoke detector melted from the fire on the second floor but did not hear any others sounding. He could not say whether the building had any working smoke detectors.

A Milwaukee County Transit System bus responded to the scene to help residents. The American Red Cross also responded.

Forum Member

24 SEPT 2008

Molotov cocktail starts fire in duplex

A fire at a north side duplex Tuesday afternoon was sparked when someone threw a Molotov cocktail into the vacant upstairs unit, said Milwaukee police Capt. Christopher Domagalski.

Police are searching for a known suspect, Domagalski said.

No one was injured, but people who were living in the downstairs unit of the house in the 2900 block of N. 18th St. were displaced, said Tiffany Wynn, spokeswoman for the Milwaukee Fire Department.

The Red Cross was called to the scene, Wynn said.

It was not yet clear how many people were displaced.

The fire was reported about 2:15 p.m. and caused an estimated $110,000 in damage, Wynn said.

Forum Member

28 SEPT 2008

Girl rescued from burning house

Milwaukee firefighters rescued a 4-year-old girl from the second floor of a burning house in the 2200 block of W. Middlemass St. Sunday afternoon, Battalion 4 Chief Joe Robak said.
    The girl was taken to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Wauwatosa to be treated for smoke inhalation, he said.
    One firefighter was taken to Froedtert Hospital to be treated for burns on his knees, while another firefighter was treated at the scene for a cut to his hand, Robak said.
    Five people were displaced by the fire, said Tiffany Wynn, spokeswoman for the Milwaukee Fire Department.
    The fire caused an estimated $75,000 in damage to the house and an estimated $40,000 in damage to its contents, Wynn said. The cause was still under investigation, she said.

The girl was not breathing at the time she was removed from the home.

Forum Member

29 SEPT 2008

Kitchen fire damages apartment

A fire inside a four-unit apartment building on the city's northwest side burned the kitchen, dining room and living room, displacing at least one family, according to the Milwaukee Fire Department.

Damage to the building is estimated at $15,000 with a $2,000 loss of contents, according to estimates today.

Detectives responded about 6:23 p.m. to the building, at 7830 W Hampton Ave. The cause of the blaze remains under investigation today.

Battalion 2 Fire Chief Pepie DuDeVoire said the fire started in the kitchen of one of the units, which did not have working smoke detectors. The other three units in the building did, however.

All of the occupants escaped safely. There were no injuries.

Forum Member

29 SEPT 2008

Cops discover suspected arson fire

Two police officers witnessed two people fleeing a home on the Milwaukee's northwest side. Then the officers discovered a fire that had apparently been set in a first floor bedroom last night, according to fire officials.

Battalion 2 Fire Chief Pepie DuDeVoire said the police discovery helped firefighters respond quickly to the scene at 2619-21 N. 23rd St., a 2 1/2-story vacant building.

"It was good for us. We were able to get there and get it out fairly quickly," DuDeVoire said.

He said firefighters also found a trail of flammable liquid on a stairwell leading to the second floor, where another small fire was burning.

No one was injured. Damage was estimated at $1,000.

Detectives responded to the home about 11:40 p.m. and are investigating the fire as arson this morning, police said.

Thread Information