+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Forums Whos Who

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Exactly the reason I a not going to play.
    Thats too bad, considering the whole idea behind this thread came after reading some newbie spend several pages trying to get the better of you. And before you say it, no, you didnt ask for any help and thats not the point.

This isnt about post counts, or what the firefighters in your own house think or who your going to trust behind you on a line. Its simply a chance to share more information about ourselves then the space in your FH profile allows.

Like I said, my hope is to stop some of these good threads from flamming because some newbie decides to debate NFPA codes with George, or fire ground opps with Chief Woods or training with Gonzo.

Perhaps if they knew who they were debating with, they would bail out long before they crashed and burned along with the thread.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

post deleted by me - waste of bandwidth and not constructive towards furthering the topic - EH
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 02-18-2007 at 07:53 AM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

20 Years Service with London Fire Brigade

1987-1994 Fireman, (Driver & Aerial Operator Qualified)
    1994-1997 Leading Fireman (Fire Rescue Unit (Rescue Co) Officer)
    1997-1999 Sub Officer (Lt)
    1999-2002 Station Officer (Capt)
    2002- Asst Divisional Officer (Batt Chief)

I have always served in London's inner City East End Ghetto areas. Currently Station Commander in the Borough of Hackney

Contributing Author for Fire Magazine (UK), Firehouse Magazine & Firehouse.com.

Editor of British Fire Service Association Journal, London District Chairman & National Board member.

Graduate of Institue of Fire Engineers.

Fire Brigades Union Officers representative, East London Branch Chair.
    High Rise Firefighting panel advisor.

Currently Studying MSc in Risk, Crisis & Disaster Management at University of Leicester. (Distance learning)

Member of UK Branch of IACOJ.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Thats too bad, considering the whole idea behind this thread came after reading some newbie spend several pages trying to get the better of you. And before you say it, no, you didnt ask for any help and thats not the point.

This isnt about post counts, or what the firefighters in your own house think or who your going to trust behind you on a line. Its simply a chance to share more information about ourselves then the space in your FH profile allows.

Like I said, my hope is to stop some of these good threads from flamming because some newbie decides to debate NFPA codes with George, or fire ground opps with Chief Woods or training with Gonzo.

Perhaps if they knew who they were debating with, they would bail out long before they crashed and burned along with the thread.
    I agree with you Dave: George, ya gotta come play with our ball and sandbox! At least for a little bit. We share nicely... well ok... mostly. LOL

As for me, only been working an "official capacity" since summer 2000, but I have 5 years with the Cdn Navy and shipboard firefighting. Lots of field experience, but somewhat short of the book work. Fairfax is my 2nd dept and am currently riding as an EMT, but soon to change that (I hope) by attending the Co Fire School in July, to graduate with FF I and II.

Otherwise, as has been mentioned..... "... Be the (sponge) Danny. Be the (sponge)..."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I, personally, do not understand the need to have a number of posts be an identifier of one's character or worth, and why a person should feel the need to post their credentials in order to prove value to faceless identities, especially when there is much more to be done in a life. I don't direct this as a criticism of the thread starter, and I believe his is a interesting idea; however, each of you knows what type of firefighter you are. You know what type of person you are also. Why entertain a debate of wits with a person who, for the greatest example of internet scheming, could very well have very little time served, in the fire service, or could not be a member of the fire service at all? Certainly you could share your education and experience with each other, but why do it out of concern of having a internet seniority?
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

MembersZone Subscriber

The idea is Noble and I agree with it.

On this site, many of us have the opportunity to be educators. If I am taking a class I want to know why the guy or gal in front of me has any business teaching the material. User FFFRED explains this type of principle very passionately in another thread, relative to columnists in another publication. If all you do is talk shop and sports and don't plan on posting information a rookie or a fireman from a slow company will take back to use at the firehohuse, so be it. I personally don't care who ya are then, but if you are going to reply to tactics situations and procedural questions in the threads, its nice to know who's passing you the advice.

In person, when you stop and talk to another brother or sister its often easy to tell up front if they are on the ball or full of hot air. Sometimes its easy to tell on here, other times it isnt so easy and takes a few weeks before you get a read on someone.

To me, post numbers mean nothing, some guys post hundreds of messages in the off duty and sports sections, which have nothing to do with firefighting. I don't hang out or talk to anyone from on here unless I am asking for some help or have something worthy of passing along. I'm just a keep to myself kinda guy and I like sharing my expierence and knowledge when I feel it will be of benefit. Likewise, I also come here to learn from some of you. I just never got into the "gang". There are about a dozen or so names on here I always keep in my back pocket. I always look for their thoughts on things because they have proven to me that they have "it". While I dont talk to those guys off of here, I do highly value their views.

Some think this "resume posting" is showboating or self serving to talk of your expierence and education, I feel differently. On an internet forum this is the only way to learn who people are.

Take it for what its worth from the guy in the corner here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post

Devils advocate.

I am not saying "flamming" or arguing for the sake of arguing. But if old idea's and viewpoints are never debated, we stop learning and sharing knowledge. The other side of this post is the new person coming in and saying, "Well they don't want person xxxx questioned/whatever. Guess I won't bother at all.

Personally? I like seeing people debate. If people are debating knowledge/methods/idea's, learning of some form is taking place. The new person has to consider the others methods/whatever and challenge his own. The other person has to do the same. And people watching/listening/reading also learn.

I will say this. I do remember firehouse.com when it was completely free. I used to post when these boards were first made. I used to enjoy getting ISO Supergod all rilled up. I did it to him on AOL message boards and I did it here. When we started having to pay, I tried it. However firehouse.com could never get my account to where I could post on the boards anymore. So I stopped paying them. So my join date is either 06 or 07, I can't remember. But really, I joined when these boards were first put up.

"Firgures always lie. Liars always figure." We can't base input into the forums based on numbers, nor should the numbers really be discussed so younger people don't feel cyber intiminated.

All this serious stuff is making my head hurt. I need to pull up an Alex thread to get a laugh now.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Things That Make You go Hmmmmm...........

A VERY good discussion on what can be a sensitive topic. Here's the famous phrase again: " I could be wrong, but...." I posted in response to how I interpreted the opening remarks and invitation by the thread author. A bit long winded maybe, but those who know me...... . Anyway, I treated this thread opener in the same manner as a publisher asking for an Author's Bio or a similar request for Presenter's Info from a Seminar Sponsor. And, I agree, you don't judge anyone/anything by post count, join date, or avatar artwork.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Reason is...

Bcarey:

It doesn’t surprise me at all that it has come to this. Since there is no real verification process, a lot of pretenders come to this website and destroys the learning and teaching experiences. They contribute NOTHING while discouraging teacher AND student from discussing important topics.
    Since some aren’t smart enough to understand what the poster is saying, why they are saying it and that it comes from years in the fire service, we find it necessary to preface our comments with credentials.
    It seems like a lot of people are hung up on post counts except the ones with the post counts.
    Instead of railing about someone’s post count, maybe you should be thanking them for taking that much time to come to Firehouse.com and sharing their knowledge, no matter how unpleasant is has gotten.
    And why would anyone continue to post when knowing they will be attacked? Because they don’t want the mopes and mutts to win. Because if they win, then more firefighters will die. They will post reckless and flat out wrong information that a young probie will take not knowing otherwise and they will try it and disasterous results could occur.
    There is a saying; When knowledge speaks, Wisdom listens.
    We could use more of that here.
    Just MHO.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

I will bite at this and call it an introduction at the same time. I am NEW to all this. I am 32 and was not mentally in a place to and never thought I would be or could become a firefighter. It was a pipe dream and I never thought I could do it. One night a few months ago we, as a family went to National Night Out at our local volunteer dept. The wife spoke up to the Cap there and mentioned that I had always wanted to do this... out came the application and 3 weeks later I was voted on as a member. I started training in September of last year and in December obtained a FF1&2 and am not working on an EMT. I have found a love and certain compassion for the fire service and enjoy all aspects of it, even the medical runs. Things seem to come naturally and I can never seem to learn enough, unlike everything else I have studied, jobs I have done, careers I have looked into.
    I read through the forums here daily and learn from what I see, disregard the trash... Hope to be around for awhile and hope you will have me.

Permanently Removed

Yo- Keeping it simple. 20 years in the fire service, 15 of them paid professional. And I finally made it to the IAFF for the last 5.

I definatley do not know it all and I wont BS you on this board either. I like to joke, but I wont post some answer I dont know.

As for the whole "paid vs. volunteer" debate. There is a difference and you will know it once you do both jobs.

Take it or leave it.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-18-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Forum Member

I have been following this thread, debating on whether or not to post but what the hell I guess I will join in. Here are my credentials, they aren't that impressive and like many others have said I am a student and always will be of the fire service. I always enjoy reading some of the posts from guys in busy houses/areas like NYC to PG County to Chi town (the cubs rock) to Cali to some of the guys that might be in slower houses or rural areas but have over 20 years of experience. There is something to be learned from all of them and I can't get enough of it. I have just passed the 10 year mark in my career and so often I still feel like the FNG when I see something or learn something new and I say to myself "well I'll be damned, I wish I knew that years ago" I pray that I never stop learning or feel the need to, because if that day comes I am putting in my papers. Ok here I go.

1997-1999 vollie
    1999-2002 part-time paid FF(combo department) and full time telecommunicator for City of Raleigh
    2002-present fulltime career with Garner FD
    2002-2005 ff
    2005-present LT (our driver/ fillin officer)

I have my NC FF 1 & 2, NC HazMat Ops Plus,NC EMT-B, NC Driver/Pump Operator,NC Aerial Operator, NC Rescue Tech, NC Fire Officer 1, NC Level 2 Instructor

On a side note I would also like to add that I am a proud member of FOOLS and an eboard member of our local chapter.

FTM-EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Yo- Keeping it simple. 20 years in the fire service, 15 of them paid professional. And I finally made it to the IAFF for the last 5.

I definatley do not know it all and I wont BS you on this board either.

Take it or leave it.

Bou on a funny side note, the ALF rep come by the firehouse the other day and we were talking **** about some of the problems that neighboring depts have had with there ALF's (we ride all Pierce). And I shared your saying with him, Friends don't let friends ride American LaChance. He didn't find it as funny but oh well screw him.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1 View Post
    Bou on a funny side note, the ALF rep come by the firehouse the other day and we were talking **** about some of the problems that neighboring depts have had with there ALF's (we ride all Pierce). And I shared your saying with him, Friends don't let friends ride American LaChance. He didn't find it as funny but oh well screw him.

LOL!!! That was funny. Thanks for the laugh! And its true too!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My Turn

Born 8-22-1951
    8-1951 to 5-1969 Normal baby stuff, Normal kid stuff, then normal teen stuff.
    5-1969 to 5-1973 US Coast Guard ( 4 years active duty)
    5-1973 to 6-1983 Worked as heavy equipment, and truck mechanic
    6-1983 to 6-1988 Firefighter Atlantic Beach Fire Department (Vol 1982)
    6-1988 to 4-2003 Firefighter/Paramedic City of Jacksonville, FL.
    4-2003 Official Retirement date from City of Jacksonville FD with 21 Years in Police and Fire Pension Plan.
    2-2003- to Present: Employed with American LaFrance

Been married to the same woman 36 years in 5-07.
    Two Children
    TEN Grandchildren.
    Take Care & be SAFE
    Bert

MembersZone Subscriber

My name is Alex Yates.,.....

But seriously, the only thing that matters to me insofar as my
    qualifications, I have the cutest grandbaby in the world. We took
    a vote.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDude View Post
    20 Years Service with London Fire Brigade

1987-1994 Fireman, (Driver & Aerial Operator Qualified)
    1994-1997 Leading Fireman (Fire Rescue Unit (Rescue Co) Officer)
    1997-1999 Sub Officer (Lt)
    1999-2002 Station Officer (Capt)
    2002- Asst Divisional Officer (Batt Chief)

I have always served in London's inner City East End Ghetto areas. Currently Station Commander in the Borough of Hackney

Contributing Author for Fire Magazine (UK), Firehouse Magazine & Firehouse.com.

Editor of British Fire Service Association Journal, London District Chairman & National Board member.

Graduate of Institue of Fire Engineers.

Fire Brigades Union Officers representative, East London Branch Chair.
    High Rise Firefighting panel advisor.

Currently Studying MSc in Risk, Crisis & Disaster Management at University of Leicester. (Distance learning)

Member of UK Branch of IACOJ.

Hi Steve... nice to see someone from across the pond here. I have been to your fine city a few times and LOVED it. I really can't wait to go back, so much to see and do there. It is tough to find a firehouse though, you guys seem to keep them pretty hidden from the main drags. I recall seeing a plaque at the Kings Cross tube station of one of your bad fires.

Anyway...If you get a chance shoot me an email jccrabby@yahoo.com I would love to trade a patch or something with you.
    Thanks, John

Forum Member

Default Here's a thought or two...

...maybe when certain "crusties" are "teaching", they could honestly engage the entirety of the opposing side's arguments, rather than cherry-picking phrases out of context to attack? Maybe where we start with preconceptions on certain issues, we should admit it, as 'Bou does above regarding the vollie/career thing? And maybe all of us, including "crusties", should make an effort to examine our preconceptions from time to time?

Maybe when there are long-raging controversies in the fire service, we could not pretend that they don't exist? Maybe we could recognize that, in the fire service as in life, shades of gray are more common that black or white?

Maybe we should all recognize something that several posters on this thread have stated, namely that none of us knows it all?
    Last edited by randsc; 02-18-2007 at 02:55 PM.

the 4-1-4

I wasn’t going to reply to this thread, and still will not provide any background; I have no need to. Besides, I could just make up something to sound cool, or better than what I am, since there is no verification process to join. If you wish to know more, send me a pm, we’ll hook up for beer face to face. I think we have all seen a number of pretenders on here, and at times they seem to outnumber those that aren’t. My thoughts though, are close to what others have already said.
    I have nothing to prove to anyone here, unless you work with me, or I with you. Post numbers, as well as a join date mean nothing to me. Generally speaking, you can make a good guess about who is who by their post contents.

I have made several friends through these forums, and because of that it is worth it to read and post here. I also have no idea what this ‘crust’ is, or how posting here gives you “crust’. Any crust I may have gathered started accumulating the day I took the oath of office, not when I registered here. I have earned my seniority by going to work every third day, opening roofs, picking up drunks, cutting apart cars and, training in real life.

I have also read about individuals, who it was known where they worked, and for who they worked, who suffered repercussions for what they posted in here. I have also had similar threats made to myself, and by supposed union leaders at that. So yeah, I give a lot of credibility to this place.
    Some who post here have a lot of posts, and because of what they post I am able to respect them, even if I don’t always agree with their point of view. Others who post, and have a large number of posts, I completely disregard, because they either post nonsense, or have proven to be untrustworthy.
    In any event, each poster is taken on an individual basis by me. I have no qualms about stating this, either.
    Last edited by jasper45; 02-18-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Forum Member

Well said.

Forum Member

Agree with Jaspar 100%
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been around the firehouse most of my life.

Been with Concord VFD since 2001. Made Training Officer in 2005. Still there.
    Starting working at Gadsden EMS as EMT in 2005. Still there.
    Joined Midway VFD as FF/EMT in 2006. Still there.
    Served with the Florida Urban Search and Rescue Task Force 7 (FL-USAR TF7) in December 2005.

State of Florida and NBFSPQ FFII
    State of Florida and NREMT EMT-B
    Vehicle Rescue Operations
    Confined Space Operations
    Rope Rescue Operations
    Draeger Level II Technician

Will hopefuly start paramedic school towards the end of the year.

Nowhere near as qualified as many of the fine gentleman who have posted before me, but working hard to be that way.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I wasn’t going to reply to this thread, and still will not provide any background; I have no need to. Besides, I could just make up something to sound cool, or better than what I am, since there is no verification process to join. If you wish to know more, send me a pm, we’ll hook up for beer face to face. I think we have all seen a number of pretenders on here, and at times they seem to outnumber those that aren’t. My thoughts though, are close to what others have already said.
    I have nothing to prove to anyone here, unless you work with me, or I with you. Post numbers, as well as a join date mean nothing to me. Generally speaking, you can make a good guess about who is who by their post contents.

I have made several friends through these forums, and because of that it is worth it to read and post here. I also have no idea what this ‘crust’ is, or how posting here gives you “crust’. Any crust I may have gathered started accumulating the day I took the oath of office, not when I registered here. I have earned my seniority by going to work every third day, opening roofs, picking up drunks, cutting apart cars and, training in real life.

I have also read about individuals, who it was known where they worked, and for who they worked, who suffered repercussions for what they posted in here. I have also had similar threats made to myself, and by supposed union leaders at that. So yeah, I give a lot of credibility to this place.
    Some who post here have a lot of posts, and because of what they post I am able to respect them, even if I don’t always agree with their point of view. Others who post, and have a large number of posts, I completely disregard, because they either post nonsense, or have proven to be untrustworthy.
    In any event, each poster is taken on an individual basis by me. I have no qualms about stating this, either.
    Hey Jasper,

You said it all my Brother. We need to get together soon for another cup of coffee or a beer soon. There are still many problems for us to solve in this crazy county we fight fire in.

To whom it may concern:

I too have been threatened on here and it makes for a really warm feeling when people that are supposedly your Brothers feel the need to threaten to ruin your career and livelihood because they disagree with you.

I have previously stated my history and credentials. Honestly some of you like me and some of you don't, and the feeling is mutual, believe me. Some of you I respect and some of you I couldn't begin to pretend to respect even if there was money involved.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my brutal honesty, but sometimes the truth is the truth so why sugar coat it?

FyredUp

Truckie

Let's see, where to start- Well, when Al Gore was inventing the internet, I actually invented firefighting. I know, hard to believe, but scouts honor.
    Nope, not hardly, I am a career firefighter, educated by books, learned by experience. Like a hundred other people here, nothing more, nothing less. Just a plain old street firefighter.
    As far as that beer Jasper, 6 hours isn't all that far to drive to have a beer and catch a ball game Brother. That may be in the cards this summer. Maybe we can get fyredUp to join us.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

SPFDRum:

Let's see, where to start- Well, when Al Gore was inventing the internet, I actually invented firefighting. I know, hard to believe, but scouts honor.
    Nope, not hardly, I am a career firefighter, educated by books, learned by experience. Like a hundred other people here, nothing more, nothing less. Just a plain old street firefighter.

As far as that beer Jasper, 6 hours isn't all that far to drive to have a beer and catch a ball game Brother. That may be in the cards this summer. Maybe we can get fyredUp to join us.
    Maybe? How about HELL YES! Sounds like a great time. Miller Park is a nice ball park. Although I will admit I am a die hard Cubs fan and there is no place like Wrigley. Just say when so I can see if I am off or need to make a trade and I AM THERE!

FyredUp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information