Forum Member

Default Pagers & Radios in Church?

Do yall carry your pager and or radio into church? Is this just flat out wrong or part of the commitment? The radio/pager would of course be on very low volume.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default pager on vibrate

I do take my pager with me to church, but on vibrate only. I don't leave for just any call, but if there is something where many hands are needed, then I will go. I think God understands. ;-)

MembersZone Subscriber

As long as you use some courtesy as you both have mentioned, I think you would be hard pressed to find a pastor or preacher who would not understand a FF/EMS volunteer having to step out to help those in need.

Kind of the example he's likely preaching about, isn't it?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Smile

Thanks for the replys.

Forum Member

I also take my pager to church, keep it on c (which is vibrate for my tones only) I normally sit in the back anyway, so I don't cause too much of a disturbance when I leave. And I only leave when I think I'm needed more.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

Forum Member

Basic Pager/Phone Etiquette

These should apply not just to church but to any other public space you happen to visit where people are trying to attend to something other than your pages and phone calls (lectures, meetings, shared offices, any restaurant fancier than McDonalds, etc.:

1) Pager/phone off unless you expect urgent calls that legitimately can't wait until afterwards when you're on your own time.

2) If your pager/phone is going to stay on, put it on vibrate.
    2a) If your pager/phone doesn't have a vibrate setting, get one that does, turn it off, or stay out of public spaces with it altogether.

3) If you're going to answer the phone, take it outside the hall and far enough away from the door not to be a distraction to those inside.
    3a) Everybody else in the room came to hear something else. Nobody wants to hear your phone call.

4) If you plan on taking calls (phone calls, emergency dispatches, etc.), sit near a door (preferrably in the back) and on an aisle so you can leave with the least disturbance to the rest of the audience/congregation/whatever.

5) If there's a sign posted with pager/phone rules on it, follow the rules, you're a guest. A "no pagers" policy means "no pagers".
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I take it with me but keep it on low or vibrate and I sit at the very back of the church
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

For me, church is "personal time". The phone and pager stays in the truck. When I get back in the truck I check both.

I would never leave my wife and child at the church so I can make a call that may take who knows how long, and I won't take two vehicles for the slight chance of getting a page.

Church helps me cope with the bad things we see, and helps center my spirit enough so those bad things do not affect my personal life.

Just my opinion.

Forum Member

Default Understanding

Most of the member of out department go to the same church, so if we left our pagers, the town would in trouble for a couple hours. We all leave the volume low and on vibrate, the congergation understand the interruption and the pastor dosent mine either. And some belive were doing gods work as it is, my church even reconized up for that, so dont be embaresed, be proud.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
    For me, church is "personal time". The phone and pager stays in the truck. When I get back in the truck I check both.

I would never leave my wife and child at the church so I can make a call that may take who knows how long, and I won't take two vehicles for the slight chance of getting a page.

Church helps me cope with the bad things we see, and helps center my spirit enough so those bad things do not affect my personal life.

Just my opinion.

Amen. Nicely put.

Forum Member

Talking My radio stays in the car

Since my church is outside of my immediate response area, I could do no one good by having it with me. Once I leave the edifice, I turn it on again.

One of our guys remarked I should change churches to stay in the area Sunday mornings. Uhh...no. I don't think so. I think they have a higher opinion of my abilities than reality dictates.

Besides, there are enough "unchurched" members on our department to more than cover for me.

They didn't like it very well when I responded they could always give up drinking so they could be in a better condition to respond on Sunday mornings. :-)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by insectguy View Post
    They didn't like it very well when I responded they could always give up drinking so they could be in a better condition to respond on Sunday mornings. :-)

I am sure that went over well.

The other easy solution is to ASK!

See what your pastor says about it. I suspect he will echo what most have said here, and if nothing else, you won't insult him by walking out on his sermon.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Wink

Our pastor was a volunteer fireman. He didn't have his pager with him of course during the service, but you can bet that it was in his office and after the service it was on his belt again and when it went off, he was gone. For the rest of us in church, we all had our pagers on, either on vibrate on the new models or turned real low on the older pagers. I think that God understands that it is important to help people in their time of need and if it happens during church, so be it. Plus, isn't it nice to get out of church for a little while?

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry mine on vibrate. If it goes off I go to back of church to restroom and playback and if I can help I will go. My pastor already knows what I do and has no problem with it. My wife has been left a few times but we have many friends that will get her home. I would not carry mine if my church was not in my district as I don't respond to my paid department due to being out of the area and of no assistance to them.

--Chris
    ______________________________ ____________
    Chris E. Gaines
    CGaines78@Yahoo.Com
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of duty."
    ~Edward F. Croker
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, that gives that protestor the freedom to burn the flag." --Father O'Brien, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post

These should apply not just to church but to any other public space you happen to visit where people are trying to attend to something other than your pages and phone calls (lectures, meetings, shared offices, any restaurant fancier than McDonalds, etc.:

1) Pager/phone off unless you expect urgent calls that legitimately can't wait until afterwards when you're on your own time.

2a) If your pager/phone doesn't have a vibrate setting, get one that does, turn it off, or stay out of public spaces with it altogether.

3) If you're going to answer the phone, take it outside the hall and far enough away from the door not to be a distraction to those inside.
    3a) Everybody else in the room came to hear something else. Nobody wants to hear your phone call.

4) If you plan on taking calls (phone calls, emergency dispatches, etc.), sit near a door (preferrably in the back) and on an aisle so you can leave with the least disturbance to the rest of the audience/congregation/whatever.

5) If there's a sign posted with pager/phone rules on it, follow the rules, you're a guest. A "no pagers" policy means "no pagers".
    Well said.

My personal outlook is this: God calls upon certain people to do the job that we do, and it is the christian thing to help others in their times of need. Who are we to defy God's calling. One pastor I talked with about the situation actually opened my eyes and mind to this idea.

Forum Member

Quite a while back there was a minister and a priest on the fire department. Story has it that if the fire siren would go off during church they would both leave their congragations and go on the call. The only time they wouldn't go was for a wedding or funeral because it was not fair to the families.

In the 90's the groom, best man, and 1 usher left a wedding after the minister presented the bride and groom as Mr. and Mrs. When they were asked about it they said the bride told them to go at least find out if they were needed. It was only a bale fire so they returned to the church. They got the best dressed firefighters award at the firefighter's annual appreciation supper.

Brad

Forum Member

Like the good churchgoer I am, always sit in the back and always on vibrate. One time during a service the priest was giving the blessing and somebody had their pager on alert. The house siren went off about the same time so the blessing came out "In the name of the father, the son and the holy smoke" as about 4 firefighters went to leave at the same time. Anyway, the priest was a good egg about it as the fire department had helped the church out with many small projects over the years. Sure as heck was interesting though.

Forum Member

Default pager in church

I am an assistant chief on my dept. but attend church out of the immediate area. When the chief or other officers are going to be out of town and I may be needed I leave it on vibrate but also wear an ear wig so nobody else can hear the voice message. Otherwise it's in the truck till after church.
    God bless and protect each and everyone of you.

Forum Member

Do yall carry your pager and or radio into church?
    Nope. Siren on top of building, which is 2 blocks away, is enough to let us know there is a call.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

i take mine and put it on vibrate, never had an issue with it going off. we actually got paged to my church once for a medical call so if i had been there i wouldnt of had to go far but i was out of town that weekend.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Default get the clergy involved!

Recruit your clergy member and they will better understand you sitting in the back and leaving in the middle of the sermon.

How many volly squads have a chaplin?

Forum Member

For me, church is "personal time". .
    For me, anytime that I am not at work is "personal time". Even when I am at the station for training/business meeting/maintenance. I consider this personal time. So, for ME, I would (and have) responded from church.

I too believe that one should have their pager on vibrate (or at least have an ear-bud) so as to not disrupt the service.
    Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 03-02-2007 at 04:02 AM.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post

I too believe in phone/pager etiquette, but I don't believe that this would include emergency pagers. For those departments that don't "man" their stations (like mine), this would mean that all members would have to give up having any kind of "life" outside the fire department for fearing they might offend someone when their "emergency" page went off. All I am trying to say is we need to be able to get our members to the station some how.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Just my opinion.

I agree Dawg.

I don't bring my phones or pager into the Church. I enjoy my time in the presence of the Lord. Although, I do understand that some departments could have staffing problems and all members are needed to respond to the to alarms.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

As the majority of those who've responded I have my pager on at church set to vibrate and low volume. I usually get called out once a month. No one has a problem with it at all.

Thread Information