Thread: Nacar races

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Nacar races

I have a track in my coverage area and we are thinking of trying new staging options. Currently we have our ladder ambulance and an engine at the front gate that is what we are currently trying to rearrange. I guess my question is what do other cities, towns do with nascar tracks in them? We do have a station just down the road less than a mile away and that is where we are planning to move some of our staged equiptment. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks brothers and sisters.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by psouther View Post
    I have a track in my coverage area and we are thinking of trying new staging options. Currently we have our ladder ambulance and an engine at the front gate that is what we are currently trying to rearrange. I guess my question is what do other cities, towns do with nascar tracks in them? We do have a station just down the road less than a mile away and that is where we are planning to move some of our staged equiptment. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks brothers and sisters.

You place them as to what NASCAR says that you do.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the one in the infield but as far as I know after that they don't care where they are. It is up to the track owner.

Forum Member

At Pocono we have our own paid personnel divided into Pit firefighters and Track personnel. Track includes clean-up, fire and extrication. The on-track trucks are equipped with fire extinguishers and there are back up engines that respond when NASCAR tells them to.

As Capt Old Timer said we are subject to NASCAR's rules and regulations. They tell us where to put what and when they can respond. Nothing can move until they get the word from the tower. Our pit firefighters can't even go over the wall until the NASCAR official tells them to.

We do not use any outside support. It would be too hard to get them in during races.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You place them as to what NASCAR says that you do.
    Yeah,NASCAR is a family oriented sport,so they do whatever the France family tells them to do.
    I noticed Daytona has its own fire department.Memphis Motorsports hired a private service for ambulance coverage and I "think"the county department details an engine or truck to the track on race day and staged for rapid access to the track.For some reason,I've never been to a race since that track opened.

Forum Member

Talking

I live near the kansas speedway, we USED to take one of our engines and "donate" it for the weekend and in return if they could they would try to give the chief a few tickets. Since our engine was up there it wasn't that big of a deal since we had quite a few guys working throughout the whole track. Unfortuneately we have a whole new adminstration and our new chief will not let us take it up there! Once they received it they were in charge of manning the engine.

If anybody watched the nascar race at KS speedway last year and saw that grass fire from the pyrotechnicians. i think our engine was sent to that call along with a neighboring depts rig
    DONK

All that I have posted are only my opinions and absolutely have nothing to do with my department and any other affiliations.

Forum Member

Post NASCAR at The Glen

At Watkins Glen International all of us are volunteers and we are divided in to three teams; on-track, pit fire, and infield fire.
    With around 180,000 people (mostly drunk) on site, we keep a Class A engine staffed 24/7 for fires not on the track.
    As has been stated above, we stage our 5 track fire trucks, the extra extrication truck provided by our tool's supplier, the tow trucks, the flat bed, the track repair and the ambulances where NASCAR tells us, along with the trucks NASCAR brings from other ISC tracks.
    Since the rednecks only use the 2.5 miles of the short road course (yes, the drivers do have to make right turns) there are many emergency stations on the track and numerous flag stations. We try to have firefighters at certain points between emergency stations where we usually see a high number of impacts.
    We have had NASCAR at The Glen since 1986 and things have gotten worked out very well with them. Since there is activity at the track just about every day from late April to late October, those of us that volunteer on the week ends get a lot of experience dealing with all sorts of different cars and by the time mid-August get here, we're ready for them.
    BTW, tickets for this year's NASCAR at The Glen are available at www.theglen.com.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought I heard a year or so ago that NASCAR was trying to form a full-time, NASCAR fire dept. that travels like the race teams do. Does anyone know if this actually happened? Anyone work on this team/dept??

All we have around here are dirt tracks and drag strips. Locals handle things just fine.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Jason:

Rumors, rumors, rumors.

I really think that NASCAR itself started that rumor to get some tracks in line with their thinking. If you really look during pit stops or crashes you'll see more personnel in the standard red and white racing suits now.

Several years ago every track had their own standards. At Pocono we had nomex jump suits until last year when the track bought us all a 2 ply racing suit. I bought my own single ply with nomex underwear since I can't stand wearing the same sweaty suit 3 hot days in a row. Some tracks were letting their people wear their structural gear. (Nothing like wearing that for 5 hours during the summer)

Also the rumors have forced tracks to comply more with the way NASCAR wants the trucks; tow, rescue, fire and ambulance are located.

NASCAR runs a lot more races than Cart/IndyCar/whatever they want to be called. I think about 3 times. Don't know if the Frances would want to dip into their coffers to supply a team and move them around the country for 9 months with food and lodging and salary.

Most tracks have their own teams, like Watkins Glen and Pocono so NASCAR would be foolish if they didn't use them. They just need to make sure there's uniformity amongst them. We have our mandatory yearly training with NASCAR in March and I'm sure all the other tracks will be visited and trained also.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified

Forum Member

Post Nascar

Yes dragonfyre, we heard the same rumors and did not beleive them at all.
    NASCAR does our annual training sessions a bit later in the year. Since we are not only more northerly than Pocono, but around the same elevation, so we have snow some times well into May here. It has snowed on Mother's Day more than once.
    We do conform to NASCAR's color code for our on-track emergency personel. Our firefighters wear red, the medics are in blue, the flaggers in white, and the track restoration crews wear yellow. A lot of us firefighters are going with the two piece suits with black bottoms. With all the gravel traps and grass here, the black shows the dirt a little less. We are required to have either a two layer suit or two layers of nomex on. When we have a spectator event that requires infield fire, they wear standard structural firefighting gear. We do allow our pit fire people to wear either the suits or structural gear, but we encourage them to get a suit. As stated above (and from personal experience) 6 to 8 hours in turn out gear on hot black top in 85 - 90 degree heat will drop any one.
    All personel going between the guard rails or working the pits must also have steel toe foot wear, hearing protection, head protection (preferable the over-the-wall helmet), and eye protection.
    Yes, Indy Racing League (IRL) does have it's own safety crew that travels with the series made up of off duty firefighters from the City of Indianapolis. When they come to The Glen, they are the primary response for only the IRL and Menards Pro races and we back them up when called for. All the other support races on their week end we cover.
    As far as I am aware, we have never had a problem with NASCARs safety officials. In fact, the ones I have talked to when I have worked the pits have always told us they are always impressed with they way we do things at Watkins Glen and they are very surprised when they find out that all of the track workers (flaggers/fire/medic/track restoration/pit marshals/paddock) are volunteers. I have been told that at Homestead there is a waiting list for the Miami-Dade firefighters to work their race since you are chosen based on senority in their department and are paid over-time to boot.
    I would encourage any one reading this that works at any track, no matter how big or small, to get a copy of the NFPA standard for Motorsports Emergency Services. I know a few of the people on the committee that consulted on it and they have spent a lot of time "between the guard rails". This one was not made up by a bunch of three piece suits in a conference room. Whether you're working a super speed way like Daytona, a road course like Watkins Glen, a fast track like Pocono or your local dirt track always remember some thing about the drivers you are dealing with:
    "Helmet goes on, brain goes off"
    Stay safe and have a good racing season.

MembersZone Subscriber

When the accident happens, I recommend turing right and making right hand turns on the track to get there
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Dragonfyre, I figured that was BS but I didn't have any inside info. It would be nice though to be a full-timer for NASCAR though wouldn't it?
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the good input I will be looking into some of it and doing more research on it, Thanks again and stay safe I want to hear from you all again!!

Forum Member

What I'd heard was that they were thinking of team doctors or MDs hired by NASCAR to travel to all events and see to the driver's medical needs.I don't know how that would work since aren't doctors licensed by states just like EMTs are?How many would want to shell out for the license fees required by that many states,plus the malpractice coverage as well?
    Might be cheaper to just drive the injured to the nearest veterinarian and say"Good luck".

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I thought I heard a year or so ago that NASCAR was trying to form a full-time, NASCAR fire dept. that travels like the race teams do. Does anyone know if this actually happened? Anyone work on this team/dept??

All we have around here are dirt tracks and drag strips. Locals handle things just fine.

Forum Member

Default Nascar at Daytona

Yes, Daytona International Speedway does have its own fire department.
    It is comprised of firefighters(usually career) from the local departments(Daytona Beach, Volusia County, Port Orange, Deland, Deltona, Ormond Beach, and others). They are diveded into three differnet areas: Pit road, track, and other(Campground, infield, and stands). They are employed by the track. Equipment is staged around the track per Nascar officials and the Fire Chief.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    What I'd heard was that they were thinking of team doctors or MDs hired by NASCAR to travel to all events and see to the driver's medical needs.I don't know how that would work since aren't doctors licensed by states just like EMTs are?How many would want to shell out for the license fees required by that many states,plus the malpractice coverage as well?
    Might be cheaper to just drive the injured to the nearest veterinarian and say"Good luck".
    NASCAR has a nurse on staff that travels to each track to coordinate the medical teams. At Pocono our docs come from Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown. They are a major trauma center and their chopper is on ground during all race activities.

I agree with you that it would be hard to license and insure a staff. I don't agree with the vet idea.
    Steve Dragon

Let's talk fire trucks!

Without boring y'all with a bunch of details, at Richmond International Raceway (RIR), we have an attack pumper (500GPM Ford F550) and tanker (1500 gallon International) positioned in the infield for fire supression. These are not used for on-track activities, although the tanker personnel could be deployed if a fire on the track needed additional water, but thus far, that hasn't been needed.

On the outside of the track, we have another attack pumper and another tanker staged for fire supression, these travel a designated routes throughout the parking and pedestrian areas, usually spot checking camping fires and the like. Like psouther's department, we also have a station less than a mile from the track (rescue-pumper and tower ladder from here), so they can respond in to assist if needed, but this is VERY rare.

We use a dedicated group for all on-track responses, we also supply all the fire protection for the garages, pits, fuel station, fuel dumps, and other areas on the infield.

If you want more details (track coverage, EMS, whatever), I'll give 'em to you, but that's the down-and-dirty of how we do it.

Forum Member

How many track sfety team members do we have here. Where are you from and what are your assignments? Me personally, Talladega Superspeedway(Track Ambulance).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Without boring y'all with a bunch of details, at Richmond International Raceway (RIR), we have an attack pumper (500GPM Ford F550) and tanker (1500 gallon International) positioned in the infield for fire supression. These are not used for on-track activities, although the tanker personnel could be deployed if a fire on the track needed additional water, but thus far, that hasn't been needed.

On the outside of the track, we have another attack pumper and another tanker staged for fire supression, these travel a designated routes throughout the parking and pedestrian areas, usually spot checking camping fires and the like. Like psouther's department, we also have a station less than a mile from the track (rescue-pumper and tower ladder from here), so they can respond in to assist if needed, but this is VERY rare.

We use a dedicated group for all on-track responses, we also supply all the fire protection for the garages, pits, fuel station, fuel dumps, and other areas on the infield.

If you want more details (track coverage, EMS, whatever), I'll give 'em to you, but that's the down-and-dirty of how we do it.
    If you could, could you send me anything you have or any info youve got about the whole NASCAR standby system that your dept. has, the thread has gotten me extremely curious as to how it is run.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Is there anything in particular that you're looking for? Inside / outside activities, EMS, or what have you? Be happy to give you what you want!

Banned

I think you all should invite me to these events as an outside observer. I could then assess what is being done and give you all a report on best practices. Certainly the response teams at those foolish super srpeedways is much different form thos of the real tracks like Loudon and Richmond.

Forum Member

Is there anything in particular that you're looking for? Inside / outside activities, EMS, or what have you? Be happy to give you what you want!
    Ummm, I know this is really vague but pretty much everything! HAHA But, to give you something to go off of, how about inside activities and EMS.

Thanks a bunch.

If you need it, my email is : jhoffman358@yahoo.com
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Ummm, I know this is really vague but pretty much everything! HAHA But, to give you something to go off of, how about inside activities and EMS.

Thanks a bunch.

Forum Member

Thanks a bunch.

Forum Member

Post Race tracks

Hottrotter, you had best be careful in your disrespect to the Super Speedways. Every track has it's own special concerns and the supers are no different. Those 3500 pound Nextel Cup cars are doing 200 miles per hour and nothing going that fast can stop nor dodge something very quickly. The drivers may be able to see a good distance in front of him, but going almost 294 feet per second, by the time he sees something it is almost too late to react. Frankly cars that heavy going that fast does not give me a good feeling.
    At Watkins Glen, the cars, especially the Grand Am Daytona Prototypes, may be able to get over 200 mph going up the back straight, but the drivers have a limited distance that they can see in front of their car, so they may be going slower most of the time than at a super speedway, but they still have a short time to react when they suddenly come up on a problem. We do have flagging stations all around the track (18 on the 3.5 mile long course and 12 on the 2.5 mile short course) that communicate to the drivers with the colored flags, but even then the driver may not have enough time to steer clear or stop for a problem on the track.
    I have personally talked to people that work at some of the other tracks that are owned by WGI's parent company when they have come for training at our track and they are all amazed at how many types of cars run on our track and that we are able to provide fire-resuce coverage for every week end from mid-April to late October using a group of volunteers.

Thread Information