Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cairns vs. Bullard

Out of curiosity which brand of helmet do you favor: Bullard or Cairns? contemporary vs. traditional style. I'm sure this has been discussed in the past but I havn't seen it posted before. So in other words... just humor me. haha.

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanStevens View Post
    Out of curiosity which brand of helmet do you favor: Bullard or Cairns? contemporary vs. traditional style. I'm sure this has been discussed in the past but I havn't seen it posted before. So in other words... just humor me. haha.
    Ok, I'll humor you.

Knock knock

whos there?

orange

orange who?

aren't you tired of these knock knock jokes?
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Why did the elephant lay on his back?

To trip birds!

Now that is humor

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

haha, nice jokes. anyways to answer your question i use a Bullard Firedome PX helmet http://www.bullard.com/Fire_Rescue/structural/PX.shtml . its black(fire firefighter) and we have red(for captains) and white(chiefs). we also have blue for those who are medics. we have one guy who has a Firedomeģ UST Traditional Style Structural Firefighter. http://www.bullard.com/Fire_Rescue/structural/UST.shtml. its costs a little more, but i like the look. i would get one, but the department will only pay for the one they already issued me. so if i want the traditional one i have to buy it myself.
    cant say much about cairns. never even seen one much less worn one.

Forum Member

We use Cairns. Haven't had good experience with Bullard. We bought about 6 of the UST traditional ones several years ago and they fell apart within a few years. Some of them were cracking around brim and the impact caps fell apart. We have a mix of Cairns 1010's and 1044's, some have our own personal N5A's and one buy bought one of 880 traditions. They have all held up great over the years and are more comfortable then the bullards.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

We're entirely Bullard. New recruits wear yellow tactical tupperware Firedome so they stand out like a sore thumb. The rest of us wear USTs in various colors.

The new USTs are much nicer than the older ones. They're lighter, more comfortable, and I think if you buy the matte finish look decent (I know, it isn't a leather.)

I like the look of the Bullard shield holder, but that isn't why you buy a helmet. And we're in Bullard because we were when I took over the gear, and I don't want to maintain spares for three brands of helmets.

Any chance you can get to try a Cairns on? If you're buying it - pick the one that is the most comfortable. You may not like either, and end up not buying one.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

.............................. ........
    Last edited by backsteprescue123; 11-10-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Bullard makes great thermal imagers.... and that's all I am going to say about that.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-19-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling error correction
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Bullard mkes great thermal imagers.... and that's all I am going to say about that.
    I'll second that! We wear Morning Pride BenII. But a buddy of mine from a neighboring dept has a Cairns similar to what we wear, and I put it on and it seems to be more comfortable then our helmets.

Thanks to the 2005 AFG - we all now have new Bullard USRX helmets.

Prior to that - it was whatever was on sale when we needed to buy a new helmet.

I have also had my own Cairns 1010 - Quality wise I have no complaints about Cairns.

When I first had it I loved it - but over time & use I found that I never could get it to fit me quite right - it was always uncomfortable and because of that - the weight began to bother me too.

I was in the process of looking for a new lid when I was elected Lt. on my dept. and just began wearing the Red "Salad Bowl" they gave me. After I stepped down as a Lt. I went back to a second hand bullard until the new USRX's came in.

IMHO - it's all a matter of what you like that fit's you best. Dosen't matter how "good" or "cool" a helmet is - if it's uncomfortable to you, you'll end up looking for any excuse to not wear it and a helmet is no good unless it's on yer melon.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Default Bullard UST Cracks

Quote Originally Posted by FF41230 View Post
    We use Cairns. Haven't had good experience with Bullard. We bought about 6 of the UST traditional ones several years ago and they fell apart within a few years. Some of them were cracking around brim and the impact caps fell apart. We have a mix of Cairns 1010's and 1044's, some have our own personal N5A's and one buy bought one of 880 traditions. They have all held up great over the years and are more comfortable then the bullards.
    I would be interested to hear from other users if they have experienced cracking of the Bullard UST Traditional outer shell around the brim. My department did a complete replacement of our bullard contemporary style thermoplastic helmets as they were too old and not in compliance with current 1971 standards. We decided to stay with Bullard because we have never had an issue. We of course decided to "upgrade" to the UST traditional. Within 2 years, over 50% of the helmets had to be replaced due to cracking of the shell around the base. The supplier ate the cost of replacement because Bullard would not cover it under warranty. Their excuse was that our helmet mounted lights were too tight and caused the cracking, even though not all of the helmets had lights mounted or the lights were on the opposite side of the helmet as the cracking. Now, after the replacements have been in service for under a year (Jan. 2012), we are starting to see cracking again.

If you or your department has experienced similar issues, I would like to hear about it. We are preparing to replace again, but we are not sure that we are going to stay with Bullard, as they obviously don't want to stand behind (or in this case, "under") their product.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

In my personal experience I have used Morning Pride Ben II's, Cairns 1010, 1044, N5A, and N6A, and a Chieftan traditional style helmet. Given my choice I would pick either of the Cairns 1010 or 1044, or the Chieftan. I find them the most comfortable and the Chieftan has been my primary helmet and seen the most fire of any helmet I own. It has held up fantastically and the price couldn't be beat.

I bought my son a Bullard UST over 2 years ago and he has used and abused it not only in real incidents but as an instructor and fire setter for live fire training. He has had no issues with this helmet and likes it very much.

Frankly, to me it boils down to the helmet that is the most comfortable and meets the current NFPA standard. To me the comfort is as high a priority as the protection offered. I could have the safest helmet in the world but if it doesn't fit and it isn't comfortable it isn't for me.

I suppose I should comment on the 2 leather helmets I owned, the N5A and N6A. I like both of these helmets but preferred my old standard N5A, it was lighter and far more comfortable to wear. I found the N6A heavy and uncomfortable to wear and frankly it was not a good value for my money. The N6A fell apart at about 5 years of use. I am not telling anyone not to buy a leather helmet if you want one. I just won't spend my money for another one.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 09-28-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Leather Forever N6A
    Anything else is simply tactical tupperware. Great for heating up leftovers and containing the mess not so good at manly protection
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

I like the old leather top hats they wore in the early 1800s

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    Leather Forever N6A
    Anything else is simply tactical tupperware. Great for heating up leftovers and containing the mess not so good at manly protection

LOL!! Perhaps so, but my plastic traditional style helmet has held up better AND lasted longer than my
    N6A did. To me it was simple economics. I can't fford to replace a leather helmet every 5 years or so. Especially when the level of protection is no better than the plastic traditional.

Enjoy your leather. I certainly liked my old standard N5A, which lasted longer in service than my N6A!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber wischief's Avatar

We recently bought Paul Conway American Classics. They are more comfortable than our old Cairns 1010's and we were able to get them at a better price than Cairns.

Cairns all the way. My department issues the modren style Cairns helmets but if we so choose we can purchase our own. I use a 1010 and will never own anything but a Cairns.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

I have a personal helmet, I have the Bullard UST6 and for protection its good so far and its beaten to death from being passed down through the family throughout the last couple of years, and it has held up great, but it is the most uncomfortable helmet i have worn. i have tried the Bullard UST, cairns 664 invader, 1010, and the N5a, morning pride lite force plus.i have also tried on the cairns 360 structural helmet, and its very confortable, but for protection i have no clue. The best helmet i have tried is the cairns N5a , it may be a little bit more heavy then the rest, but its confortable and is great protection. my second favorite is the Cairns 664 invader, its lite confortable and provides good protection.

Thread Information