Forum Member

Default Media and PIO websites?

As I look at this thread I see very little, really about media relations and about being a PIO. I would like to find more information on the subject. There is one website that offers a few tips for the media and help for the company officer who is suddenly facing a reporter. (Hopefully with command's permission.)
    http://www.captainmica.com

If someone knows anywhere else, please post it.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captT52 View Post
    As I look at this thread I see very little, really about media relations and about being a PIO. I would like to find more information on the subject. There is one website that offers a few tips for the media and help for the company officer who is suddenly facing a reporter. (Hopefully with command's permission.)
    http://www.captainmica.com

If someone knows anywhere else, please post it.
    Thanks
    Sorry, but your link seems to be a dead end!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

The link works for me.

It's pretty general basic information with only one glaring issue: he makes the usual broad (and frequently incorrect) overgeneralizations about HIPAA.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Default Hipaa

>It's pretty general basic information with only one glaring issue: he makes the usual broad (and frequently incorrect) overgeneralizations about HIPAA.

I have heard that before. Some pro PIOs I have spoken with tend to play HIPAA down. I think that the point here is to know you department's policy. But I have been in trouble from my department for the smallest thing I may have said. I am not saying that my department doesn't over react. I am sure that they do.

Can you direct me to a source that supports your view? I would love to have that. My department is ready to fire people for leaking out personal information. Anyone who trains or rides with us has to view a class on HIPAA and sign that they understand the seriousness of the "LAW".

Again, I don't doubt that my department is over cautious about this. But I know that we are not the only one.
    Thanks.

Forum Member

Anyone who trains or rides with us has to view a class on HIPAA and sign that they understand the seriousness of the "LAW".
    1) Does your department provide health care (i.e. does it have official EMS/Responder Status)? If no, stop, you aren't covered by HIPAA.

2) If Yes, does your department bill for those health care services? If no, stop, you aren't covered by HIPAA.

3) If Yes, does your department transact any of that billing/payments/etc. with any insurance carrier or insurance clearing house via electronic means (i.e. computer -- not fax, phone, hard copy, etc.)? If no, stop, you aren't covered by HIPAA.

Unless the answer to all 3 of those questions is "Yes", HIPAA does not apply to your department.

If you are covered by HIPAA, there are strict guidelines about what kind of patient information you can legally release. Most of those guidelines, however, are consistent with basic common sense about patient privacy ethics.

The best place I can send you to look is here:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

That's the official US Department of Health & Human Services, Office of Civil Rights, HIPAA website. It doesn't get any more definitive than that.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Default Hipaa

To answer your first questions.
    >1) Does your department provide health care (i.e. does it have official EMS/Responder Status)? If no, stop, you aren't covered by HIPAA.
    -YES (7 MICUs and all fire apparatus is ALS.)

>2) If Yes, does your department bill for those health care services? If no, stop, you aren't covered by HIPAA.-YES

>3) If Yes, does your department transact any of that billing/payments/etc. with any insurance carrier or insurance clearing house via electronic means (i.e. computer -- not fax, phone, hard copy, etc.)? If no, stop, you aren't covered by HIPAA.
    -YES (As of this year!)

Looks like we are covered.
    But thank you for clearing that up. We probably weren't until this month, we are in the process of being able to bill electronically.

In truth this probably does not matter because my department thinks it affects all forms of PT info, and I can promise that they will not listen to me. (i.e. Our Pt forms are now stored in locked containers at each fire station. This is to prevent someone from coming in the station and accidentally seeing a form.)

Again, I think the thing to take from this is "Know your departments view on the subject." Even you said that people's views are "frequently incorrect." I have no problem believing that.

Thanks for your help on this subject. Very good info. (I will email the author of that site and relay what you have shown me.)

But I still would like to find more PIO websites or training resources. That one page is OK, ( http://www.captainmica.com ) and a little helpful, but as you said, very general and basic.

Forum Member

As I look at this thread I see very little, really about media relations and about being a PIO. I would like to find more information on the subject.

Pennwell Publications has a great book written by Timothy Birr on all phases or fire department PR. Tim is a retired PIO from Oregon. Heard him speak at FDIC a few years ago and bought his book. It verifies a lot of what I have been teaching in PA's PR class for several years.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Default PIO Book

>Pennwell Publications has a great book written by Timothy Birr on all phases or fire department PR. Tim is a retired PIO from Oregon. Heard him speak at FDIC a few years ago and bought his book. It verifies a lot of what I have been teaching in PA's PR class for several years.

Cool! Thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    Sorry, but your link seems to be a dead end!!!
    Computer problem I guess. Working for me now. Of course, now I can not edit post. Go figure!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I may be 10 months too late..

If you still need PIO or media information, I will be glad to share what I know.

Forum Member

Default PIO lessons

I would like more information about the PIO's job.

Perhaps we should start by going to:
    http://www.riotacts.com/fire/media.html

This is the only website I know about that addresses PIO work.

What would you add or correct about it?

PS Don't be surprised if your suggestions find their way to the page. I am in contact with the author and I am a member their forum page.

If you don't want anything you say shared, just let me know.

Thanks
    Last edited by captT52; 01-06-2008 at 06:22 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anything that I post will be fair game.

I figure that we are all in this together and should do our best to help each other out.

Ill send an e-mail with some suggestions by this weekend.

Thanks - JFF

Thread Information