MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY Video....anybody seen this?

Is this new? I am going to order it. Seems well done from the short blurb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioc1Sx5hHqU&NR

http://www.mfilms.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Is this new? I am going to order it. Seems well done from the short blurb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioc1Sx5hHqU&NR

http://www.mfilms.com/
    Oh great here comes the chest thumping and battles of the "B" Boros.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Did he say 200 calls a day for 64 houses?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Yes. That math seems a bit off
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey View Post
    Yes. That math seems a bit off
    I should say so...We often run as many as 75-80/day with 15 houses.

Maybe they are referring to actual fire runs. Then again, that number would seem kinda high.

Anyway, it looks like it is a good video.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Hook & Can

The description posted with the YouTube vid...

This exciting 26 Minute documentary film that looks the firemen of Bronx, NY who are the most active in the world. The 65 fire stations situated in the Bronx receive fire calls about 160,000 times a year, 200 times a day. Some are false alarms, but many are very dangerous situations. A special fire brigade including sheriffs has been created to combat this. This film spends 14 harrowing days with the firemen of the Bronx as they fight fires and perform a last-minute rescue of a baby who fainted from the smoke.
    I guess it's averaged out and includes anything they leave the station for? Although it appears the math still doesn't add up.

Anyway...looked pretty decent.

Forum Member

Video must be "dated".....Chief Salka...in Light Blue. I remember when he was promoted to Captain....about 11 or so years ago. Anyway...as far as the runs....I know my house and the ones around us average 10 runs a tour. And to have over 20 runs in a 24 is not uncommon....probably happens on half of my sets. I believe there are 32 houses and 64 Companies.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Video must be "dated".....Chief Salka...in Light Blue. I remember when he was promoted to Captain....about 11 or so years ago. Anyway...as far as the runs....I know my house and the ones around us average 10 runs a tour. And to have over 20 runs in a 24 is not uncommon....probably happens on half of my sets. I believe there are 32 houses and 64 Companies.
    That video is obviously dated...Chief Salka being in light blue is one, two the rigs and the gear. This obviously was around the time that we got bunker gear as some of the brothers still are using the old coats and I didn't see to many plastic helmets. I think I saw a few to many Macks and 1st generation Seagraves. Depending on the year there wasn't much CFR runs in the first years when the system was brought online. Only 1st Due boxes and we were sent on many fewer runs...so the run numbers are probably boxes transmitted by the Bronx CO. Remeber that all of those boxes would bring 3 and 2 so one could have close to 800 appratus responses from those boxes if there is minimal CFR-D runs. Don't know because there is no year listed.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Chief Salka does look a lot younger in those videos than what he does now. If any of you all work with him closely it would be fun to get the video just to bust his balls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1 View Post
    Chief Salka does look a lot younger in those videos than what he does now. If any of you all work with him closely it would be fun to get the video just to bust his balls.
    Well....trust me, Chief Salka is a master at Ball Breaking......one would get very far....or so a little bird once told me.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

The station closes to me is on bailey, 231st. Engine 81, i can honestly say they pass my by house about 4-6 times a day. I live about 2 miles from them, they are in a area in every direction, there's major avenues and streets. The last major fire in my area was last year, i think in January 06, at tracey towers, it was on the 22nd floor. The last fire i've seen was near lehman college on January of 07. The last major fire in my area was a 4 or 5 alarm on kingsbridge road.

What is strange, most fires happen on SUNDAYS.....very, very strange.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moediaz View Post
    The station closes to me is on bailey, 231st. Engine 81, i can honestly say they pass my by house about 4-6 times a day. I live about 2 miles from them, they are in a area in every direction, there's major avenues and streets. The last major fire in my area was last year, i think in January 06, at tracey towers, it was on the 22nd floor. The last fire i've seen was near lehman college on January of 07. The last major fire in my area was a 4 or 5 alarm on kingsbridge road.

What is strange, most fires happen on SUNDAYS.....very, very strange.
    Sunday is traditionaly the time when we have our worst jobs. And, there were quite a few fires in your area in 2006.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

It's Crazy, the last big fire was a week ago, its a 5 alarm, in my area. Be safe out there guys, very crazy the Bronx.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Well....trust me, Chief Salka is a master at Ball Breaking......one would get very far....or so a little bird once told me.
    Errr...that should say wouldn't....not would....for some reason I can't edit that perticular post.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Working on very simple maths 200 calls per borough (yes I know some do more than others) = 1000 calls per day x 365 days per year = 365000 calls in a year...not far off of the 400,000 calls FDNY attend.

With around 200 Stations (Can't remeber the exact figure) that is roughly 2000 per Station, but we all know there are Stations that run less than 1000 and others that run 4000 or 5000.

Same by me, 300,000 calls divided into 112 Stations gives an average of 2678per Station...but there are those that runs less than 1000 and those that run 5000 plus.

I have no doubt the narrator gave a quick soundbite based on figures from the Bronx Despatch Centre. We all know City Firemen all over the World are busy... lots of people, lots of fires... that applies to NYC, Chicago, London, Manchester, Paris, Shanghai...etc...etc...
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

I'm over on 238th and Waldo. Seen much more runs in this area in the past 2 weeks or so, however most seem to be CO and water flow alarms. It would be nice for the 52s and 81/46 to get a job around for their sake, and so I can have something to distract me from studying.
    9/11/01 D.C. Joseph "Uncle Joe" Marchbanks
    Battalion 12
    Heaven In Harlem

Tim
    CFD #143

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by t13one12 View Post
    I'm over on 238th and Waldo. Seen much more runs in this area in the past 2 weeks or so, however most seem to be CO and water flow alarms. It would be nice for the 52s and 81/46 to get a job around for their sake, and so I can have something to distract me from studying.
    52's and 81/46 are in nice areas.
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information