Forum Member

Default background... drinking and driving, but did not get DUI??

I am an aspiring FF.

My questions mostly regard the background process. I drank and drove four times while in college. The last time being just over a year ago. I was never received a DUI. Since this time I have not been intoxicated.

My question is this, I am fearful that I am going to get rejected by one dept and then another... and then further departments are going to see I was rejected at others and continue to reject me.

How long should I wait before this is a non-issue? Meaning, how long does it take before most places will say "yes, he made a mistake, but it is pretty clear he will not continue the behavior"?

Thanks

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

did you get caught?

MembersZone Subscriber

If there is no record of it, it is just the polygraph that you have to be afraid of. More detail regarding your specific fears (regarding the application process, not personal info) would help us answer your questions.

Most interviewers will tell you to be straight up with the examiner if asked, but don't offer info like this unless it is asked.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TXguy9 View Post
    I am an aspiring FF.

My questions mostly regard the background process. I drank and drove four times while in college. The last time being just over a year ago. I was never received a DUI. Since this time I have not been intoxicated.

You didn't get caught, so..?

My question is this, I am fearful that I am going to get rejected by one dept and then another... and then further departments are going to see I was rejected at others and continue to reject me.

Departments can't tell if you've been rejected from another department so don't worry about it. Unless you were fired or quit or something.

How long should I wait before this is a non-issue? Meaning, how long does it take before most places will say "yes, he made a mistake, but it is pretty clear he will not continue the behavior"?

It is a non-issue. You did drink and drive, which is horrible but you already know that. Only up to you to change your behavior.

Thanks

Hope it helps

Forum Member

I don't know anyone that has been hired with more than one "bad behavior with alcohol violation." OWI, wet reckless, Public Intox, etc.

The only thing you can do is be up front about your record, if you are still drinking I couldn't reccomend your hire. Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Tx,
    We have all done things we are not proud of. I am by no means an exception.

What you describe will not be a problem....unless there is more to the story.

Good luck,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information