Thread: Albany, NY LODD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Albany, NY LODD

My condolences go out to the friends and family of veteran Albany NY firefighter Theodore Abriel. Theodore Abriel was the brother of Deputy Chief Warren Abriel Jr. of the Albany Fire Department. Chief Abriel was an instructor/professor/advisor of mine during my attendance at SUNY Empire State College Center for Distance Learning. God Bless Brother. You will be missed.

Christian P. Frezza
    Engine 2 IAFF L1579
    Manchester Fire Rescue EMS Connecticut

Forum Member

Rest in Peace Brother
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Rest In Peace and my God bless your family

IACOJ - Proud member.

Thoughts and prayer to the family of Brother Albriel and the Albany FD.

From the Albany Times-Union website:
    Veteran firefighter dies
    Theodore Abriel of Slingerlands suffered heart attack at Albany high-rise fire

By ANNE MILLER, Staff writer
    Click byline for more stories by writer.
    Last updated: 5:53 p.m., Monday, February 19, 2007

ALBANY -- A veteran firefighter collapsed and died Monday after he entered a burning apartment on the sixth-floor of a city high-rise to save anyone possibly trapped inside, authorities said.

Theodore Abriel, 44, of Slingerlands, suffered a massive heart attack after he went into apartment 6E of 2 Lincoln Square, which was empty, police said.

Abriel, a married father of four with deep roots in the Albany Fire Department, was rushed to Albany Medical Center Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 5:40 p.m., authorities said.

Police said Abriel was wearing 75 pounds of equipment as he and another member of the department's Rescue Squad climbed six floors to reach apartment 6E of the building, where a fire had been reported at 4:40 p.m.

After Abriel checked the apartment and found no one inside, he collapsed in a hallway outside the apartment. After firefighters performed CPR on him, he was taken to the hospital's emergency room, police said.

The fire, which was placed under control by 5:01 p.m., was contained to the apartment, officials said.

Abriel, whose Rescue Squad is based in Arbor Hill, is part of a family with ties to the Albany Fire Department that date back to the post-Civil War era.

Abriel's late father, Warren Abriel Sr., was a battalion chief and another brother, Henry Abriel, is a retired AFD captain. When the department went from volunteers to paid professionals in 1867, relative Reuben Abriel was one of the volunteer firemen hired by the new organization.

Abriel is also the brother of Deputy Fire Chief Warren Abriel Jr.

"I grew up that way," Warren Abriel Jr. told the Times Union for an article about the family's long history. "It's a family business."

An autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow.
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Forum Member

Default Theodore Abriel Memorial

My condolences to the Abriel family and the Albany Fire Department of New York. FireFighter Theodore Abriel, 44, a 20 year veteran of the Albany Fire Department, died Monday February 19, 2006. Theodore was searching for victims on the sixth floor of a high-rise structure fire when he collapsed. He was rushed to Albany Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. Theodore had operated at 2 other structure fires earlier that day. I have created a permanent memorial for Theodore on my website. More news, information, and photos can be found at:

www.firefightinglinks.com/tabriel.html

If there is any additional information or photos you would like added to this memorial, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Shawn McDonald
    [firefightinglinks@snet.net]

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Rest in peace. May God watch over his family and the Albany FD.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

The brothers and sisters from not too far south of y'all send our condolences.

Being a student in Albany I am always passing firehouses and looking out my dorm watching various Albany apparatus driving by. R.I.P. Theodore
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy Rest In Peace Teddy

Rest in peace brother. The Albany Fire Department and the Rescue Squad won't be the same without you.

Forum Member

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the services on Saturday. Despite the sub-freezing temps, there were several hundred firefighters present from as far away as Rochester, Niagra Falls, FDNY, and New Hampshire. Quite impressive. Here's a tribute someone put up on youtube.

Rest in peace, Brother.
    Jim

Lieutenant
    East Glenville FD eastglenvillefd.com

Thread Information