Forum Member

Default Seagrave Marauder 2

Is the Marauder 2 cab offered in aluminum construction? The Marauder was offered in aluminum, steel, and stainless but I haven't saw any options other than stainless with the new cab.

MembersZone Subscriber

Since we are in the process of Specing a new engine, I believe that the Marauder2 is only stainless and Seagraves Attacker is the Aluminum chassis. At least that is what our dealer states and the information I have received from him. We have a Seagrave Stainless Steel Apollo105ft platform that is 10 years old and I must say that it is the best vehicle in our fleet as far as driving and quality of construction. They don't make it anymore but the dealer said it might be coming back. We had problems at first and Seagrave has gone through a couple different dealers in the area since we got ours but they have a new dealer covering us now.

Hope this helps

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hey FiredogOH

Wow, you have a Seagrave Apollo and you LIKE it? That's something in itself. We have one here and it's the biggest POS. It's also about 10 years old but acts like it's 30 years old! Trying to get it serviced (which is often) is quite fun, as even the manufacturer can't figure some things out. They had to fly a guy in from Wisconson once to try and diagnose a problem and he left scratching his head. I guess that's what happens when you buy "new and improved", as it was marketed when we bought it. Now I know why they only built 7 or 8.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LtSuperG View Post
    Wow, you have a Seagrave Apollo and you LIKE it? That's something in itself. We have one here and it's the biggest POS. It's also about 10 years old but acts like it's 30 years old! Trying to get it serviced (which is often) is quite fun, as even the manufacturer can't figure some things out. They had to fly a guy in from Wisconson once to try and diagnose a problem and he left scratching his head. I guess that's what happens when you buy "new and improved", as it was marketed when we bought it. Now I know why they only built 7 or 8.....
    Seagrave Fire Apparatus,LLC is using a tower ladder platform built by ( RK Aerials ) Know !

Forum Member

Default Marauder II

The Marauder II is only offered in Stainless. The Marauder was never constructed of aluminum. The only aluminum cab is the Attacker. The Concord was discontinued. It is true about Seagrave using RK for the Midmount and the rear mount platform. This was a quick fix by the Hebe days to get the product on the road. I have heard mixed feelings on this since Seagrave still builds their own aerial ladders. I think they will soon design and build their own platforms in the near future. The appollo was a huge truck and during some tough times at the factory, a couple of Appollos were delivered that yielded many problems, especially with the electrical system. I have heard good and bad on the rig, however I haven't heard any negatives about the RK's. We'll see.

Forum Member

Post To: 1truckie

Quote Originally Posted by 1truckie View Post
    The Marauder II is only offered in Stainless. The Marauder was never constructed of aluminum. The only aluminum cab is the Attacker. The Concord was discontinued. It is true about Seagrave using RK for the Midmount and the rear mount platform. This was a quick fix by the Hebe days to get the product on the road. I have heard mixed feelings on this since Seagrave still builds their own aerial ladders. I think they will soon design and build their own platforms in the near future. The appollo was a huge truck and during some tough times at the factory, a couple of Appollos were delivered that yielded many problems, especially with the electrical system. I have heard good and bad on the rig, however I haven't heard any negatives about the RK's. We'll see.
    Is Seagrave Fire Apparatus still building the ( Commander II Chassis Fixed Cab ) mainly for the FDNY, and also is the aluminum cab Attacker chassis available on the Aerialscope & rearmounts ?

Forum Member

Default Seagrave chassis

The Commander II is available for all applications as far as I know. FDNY is going away from the fixed cab. They opened the spec to the Split-Tilt design to allow servicing in the FH. The Attacker is available on the aerials. The Aerialscope is a good question. This may be a good thing in regards to weight reduction and maybe some cost. I'll see if my contacts can answer this.

Forum Member

The Commander II is available for all applications as far as I know. FDNY is going away from the fixed cab. They opened the spec to the Split-Tilt design to allow servicing in the FH. The Attacker is available on the aerials. The Aerialscope is a good question. This may be a good thing in regards to weight reduction and maybe some cost. I'll see if my contacts can answer this.
    I think that the biggest motor available on the Attacker chassis is a " Cat -or- Cummins " 425 HP with a 3000 Evs trans, may not be suitable for a 75' Aerialscope ?

Forum Member

Default Attacker Chassis

I believe since the Attacker is now the only aluminum chassis, the larger engines will be available. You are right about horses. You need minimum 500 hp because of the weight of the Scope.

Forum Member

I believe since the Attacker is now the only aluminum chassis, the larger engines will be available. You are right about horses. You need minimum 500 hp because of the weight of the Scope.
    I have seen on a few Seagrave dealer web sites that the Aerialscope will only be available on the stainless steel Maurader II chassis ?

Forum Member

Default Seagrave Attacker

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    I have seen on a few Seagrave dealer web sites that the Aerialscope will only be available on the stainless steel Maurader II chassis ?
    I was doing a lot of research on the stainless steel claim for another thread and read up on the Seagrave products. The Attacker is the only aluminum choice and, as mentioned, it is only available up to 425HP in CAT or Cummins.

I think that Seagrave will have to do something about the lack of a big motor or they will be missing out on a lot of order opportunities.

Forum Member

Post Seagrave Marauder II

The Marauder II is there bread & butter chassis, most of there apparatus sales are on the Marauder II with the stainless steel cab & chassis. The Aluminum Attacker chassis sales are not that great because it is built and sold as a lower priced apparatus for departments on a limited budget and has the smaller motor and 3000 EVS trans !...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    The Marauder II is there bread & butter chassis, most of there apparatus sales are on the Marauder II with the stainless steel cab & chassis. The Aluminum Attacker chassis sales are not that great because it is built and sold as a lower priced apparatus for departments on a limited budget and has the smaller motor and 3000 EVS trans !...
    You are right and I have to agree. Slow sales for Aluminum due to the market Seagrave does not appear to pursue.
    Last edited by danweb; 11-07-2007 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by danweb View Post
    You are right and I have to agree. Slow sales for Aluminum due to the market Seagrave does not to pursue.
    I had a close look at the Seagrave Marauder II demo pumper in Wildwood, N.J. this past Sept, if you are looking for a rock solid chassis cab check out the stainless steel Marauder II !....

Forum Member

Default RK and Seagrave

I was told by a reliable source that Seagrave is no longer using RK aerials.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    If so, that would have to be a very recent development.

Forum Member

Default RK gone?

Would this have anything to do with the new towers for FDNY? Would anything developed the for that order be applicable as a replacement?

Forum Member

My insider sources told me about two months ago the business relations between Seagrave and RK were not good.

C6

Forum Member

Default M Ii

Seagrave has been trying to let RK go for some time... They want to make sure they have it right. The Aerial shop is evolving somewhat since the addition and the aquisition of Aerialscope. As for the aluminum issue, I think everyone seems to be over it for the most part. Like the CEO says..."Why would you put your tools and equipment in a steel body and your personnel in an aluminum cab?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    My insider sources told me about two months ago the business relations between Seagrave and RK were not good.

C6
    I love insider sources! If that is true, then I think that Darley would be one of the last non-Rosenbauer manufacturers to use RK.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

Does anyone have both a Maurauder I and a MarauderII together? They changed the cab configuration making the rear cab doors larger, and the area behind the crew cab doors (and compt) smaller on the XLFD. I assume this was for the 007 engine specs. Rear legroom seems smaller, and i've only seen forward facing flip-down type seats in the rear. It was one of the larger cabs, not so sure now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    I love insider sources! If that is true, then I think that Darley would be one of the last non-Rosenbauer manufacturers to use RK.
    Piper,

Just suffice to say my insider source gets a regular paycheck from Seagrave, and I expect that this person to be "in the know".

I believe Toyne still uses RK: http://www.toyne.com/page.asp_Q_navigationid_E_49

C6

Forum Member

Post RK Ladders ?

Is Seagrave building there own rear mount & midmount platforms now. There web site offers no platforms, only the Aerialscope ?

Forum Member

My sources tell me that the RK aerials are no longer being used. To date Seagrave is going to finish up any current orders and discontinue the line. I am hoping they will design their own rear mounts and midmounts like they should have done in the first place. Going to another manufacturer was another Hebe move. Seagrave has always been a manufacturer that has built their own high quality ladders and that is where it should stay. I believe they will, but for now there is no offering from Seagrave for the mid mounts and rear mount platforms. I am not sure if this was a good seller anyway.

Forum Member

My sources tell me that the RK aerials are no longer being used. To date Seagrave is going to finish up any current orders and discontinue the line. I am hoping they will design their own rear mounts and midmounts like they should have done in the first place. Going to another manufacturer was another Hebe move. Seagrave has always been a manufacturer that has built their own high quality ladders and that is where it should stay. I believe they will, but for now there is no offering from Seagrave for the mid mounts and rear mount platforms. I am not sure if this was a good seller anyway.
    Seagrave builds very good aerial ladders, the 75' Meanstick & 100' Force, and also the " AERIALSCOPE ". So they sould design & build there own 75'- 100' midmount & rearmount platforms !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 11-11-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: " NO TOWERMAX " ?

Thread Information