MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Looking for Grant Writer

We are looking for a grant writer for a North Alabama Fire Department. I need names, contact numbers, and maybe pricing and references.

Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are 2 very respected grant writers that you can contact.

Brian Vickers aka BC79er

www.firegraphics.org

Kurt Bradley aka ktb9780

www.chiefgrants.com

Both can be contacted through their websites or contacted through their forum profiles.

Forum Member

Smile The Good Guys > Brian and Kurt

If you use a professional grant writer these two are the good guys. As grant writers their organizations do it right even when it puts money in your pocket not theirs. I take any opportunity to thank them for all the help they have given me and we are four for five. Have a safe day.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I work through 2 vendors covering apparatus and equipment in Alabama as their free grant resource. No sense in paying money when you don't have to.

I'm also going to be in Lauderdale County on March 6th teaching a free workshop for any fire departments that want to show up. I'll have the location and registration info on my site by tomorrow, just got back from Illinois an hour ago. 'Tis the season.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

Default Humor: Grant Writer

Just a little humor from the AFG Workshop I went to last night. There was a "professional grant writer" there, and there was a little pause and chuckle in the air when the presenter was talking about equipment, giving what are highest priority items, like turnouts, etc.. Then it happened, the grant writer asked what turnouts and turnout gear was.....

I think Kurt and Brian know what turnout gear is, but you may want to quiz them first, heh. Just make sure whoever you choose for a grant writer is some what familiar with the fire industry, I can only assume that would help a little bit.

Bruce
    Bruce Arp
    2nd Asst. Chief
    Weston Volunteer Fire & Resuce
    http://www.westonfire.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well it hasn't been that long since I put mine on, only a month or so. But that's because I've been on the road.

Familiarity with the subject is crucial in any writing endeavour. That's why I haven't had a chance to dig as deeply in LE grants save for the handful I've done. Or education grants. That's why I think I've been so successful, I've been using the stuff for 14 years. Also why I've been training municipal grant writers on AFG, it's not that they don't know what they're doing on grants, they just don't know the subject. So I tell the FDs to train them, problem solved. Take them to the station, show them the stuff, have them put some on, etc, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lemontfire View Post
    If you use a professional grant writer these two are the good guys. As grant writers their organizations do it right even when it puts money in your pocket not theirs. I take any opportunity to thank them for all the help they have given me and we are four for five. Have a safe day.

Thanks guy!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    I work through 2 vendors covering apparatus and equipment in Alabama as their free grant resource. No sense in paying money when you don't have to.

I'm also going to be in Lauderdale County on March 6th teaching a free workshop for any fire departments that want to show up. I'll have the location and registration info on my site by tomorrow, just got back from Illinois an hour ago. 'Tis the season.
    Who are the vendors?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

www.firegraphics.org, Grants link. Wouldn't be proper for me to post it. Others yes, me no, since I work with them.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

MDuran, just an FYI we're doing another set, one up in Marshall and one in Russell if they're closer for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

mduran,

Please do not take offense, but why do you think you need a grant writer for the AFG program.

Also please note, there is absolutly no disrespect implied with regard to Brian and Kurt. Their knowledge, which has been freely shared in this forum has been a tremendous asset to me personally.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AFD333 View Post
    mduran,

Please do not take offense, but why do you think you need a grant writer for the AFG program.

Also please note, there is absolutly no disrespect implied with regard to Brian and Kurt. Their knowledge, which has been freely shared in this forum has been a tremendous asset to me personally.
    Time I didn't know if I would have time this year. I have been writing the grants, thought I might have been doing something wrong. After reviewing a neighboring departments narrative it looked like they copied my narrative. They received the grant and we didn't. Only difference was that they hired a grant writer.

I have been checking into some things and have been told that you have to purchase from whom ever the grant writer tells you to. I don't think that should be going on. If you get a grant bid laws should be used and awarded according to the laws not from someone telling you who to buy from.

I know of one department that got a grant for a truck and the company that they wanted didn't win the bids for a new pumper. So they rebid after seeing other company's bids and the company that they wanted won the bid second time around.

I personally think that there is alot of polictics going on with these grants. I will more than likely write our grant again even if we don't win a grant I can say I tried to do it HONESTLY and within the bid laws if we win a grant.

This is not pointed towards Kurt and Brian from all I have seen over the last couple of years is that they are great guy's who are willing to share their knowledge and help other departments. Thanks for your Help Kurt and Brian and hope you continue to help.

Thanks for your information.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I have been checking into some things and have been told that you have to purchase from whom ever the grant writer tells you to. I don't think that should be going on. If you get a grant bid laws should be used and awarded according to the laws not from someone telling you who to buy from.
    Not true at all. You have to legally bid everything. Both the departments and the vendors I work with know that the award winners have to get two bids, no excuses. That's why I don't get involved in the bidding, not my department, not my stuff to use when it's bought. The vendors I work with haven't gotten all of the orders for what I worked on through them, and so be it. That's what happens in capitalistic societies. The law says two bids, also says you have to take low unless reasons exist for taking the other (service, location, company reputation, etc).

MembersZone Subscriber

Ditto on that! I would love to be able to play that game... sole source. No, as I always put into every grant " local procurement policies will be followed and if cost savings are realized, AFG guidelines will be adhered to."
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mduran View Post

If someone offered me such a deal, I would turn them down, blacklist them
    to everyone I know, and turn them into DHS. Simple.

Has some company told you that directly? I would love to drop a dime on them!

MembersZone Subscriber

As stated Kurt and Brian will tell it straight up, along with several others on here that bidding guidelines have to be followed. There was probably some Very small thing different in your application that got viewed differently over the other departments as you stated. There are many that will look both applications over for you to maybe find that small difference and help you out.

MembersZone Subscriber

mduran,

I understand the time factor. I also believe most of this forum's readers know the time invested in research and grant preparation is where the real time is invested. A large part of that research time should be spent learning the program inside and out. Obviously, you received inncorrect advice regarding the bid process.

I am not a professional grant writer, I'm just the only one in my Dept that was willing to take the project. I also understand the frustration of seeing narratives that wre not as well prepared as mine funded. However, all of my grant writing training has been learning from failures. Take an impersonal, critical look at your projects that have not been funded. Are they grammatically correct? Do they address the grant program's goals and objectives? Did a knowledgeable firefighter read them as a technical reviewer? Did someone with no knowledge of the fire service read them and understand exactly what you were asking for and why?

It has been my impression the AFG generally prefers grant that are prepared "in house", and do not have a grant writer's fee attached. I also believe the use of a competative bid process is one reason AFG funds generally provide with maximum purchasing power. Vendors know how much money you were awarded and they must compete for it.

Compare the price paid for equipment purchased with AFG funds to to cost of items awarded by DHS Homeland Security programs routed through _______ Scientific. I think you will clearly see the cost of multiple levels of "administrators" that do not exist in the AFG.

Lastly, remember there is the luck of the draw factor when it comes to the peer review.

Provided you have the time to fully research and prepare your application, I see no reason you cannot do this sucessfully. If you must hire a grant writer in order to submit an application for your Dept, just make certain the person you hire fully understands the program; as grant writer fees must be paid up front and are not refundable in your request is not approved.

Good luck, and remember, the only way that you can be 100% certain you will not be funded is if you do not submit an application.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AFD333 View Post
    mduran,

I understand the time factor. I also believe most of this forum's readers know the time invested in research and grant preparation is where the real time is invested. A large part of that research time should be spent learning the program inside and out. Obviously, you received inncorrect advice regarding the bid process.
    If we have the time to do the background work, the AFG process is not so cumbersome. If we don't have the time to do that part, then i'd be hard-pressed to turn a hired gun loose on this project unless i knew them very well. And...by this time (assuming the March 5 to April 7 window holds) the writer should already know the department pretty well.

Kurt/Brian/onebugle--any of you know whether requesting funding to reimburse grant writing fees reduces computer scores?? If it doesn't, it seems that it would at least make the cost/benefit a little tougher to score.

earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No effect on scoring in computer at all, would be illegal to do on several fronts. They only ask for that up front because if you're wanting to be reimbursed then they need to know because that money comes out of the awards pot.

Now not saying that the humans involved in Peer Review can't take that into consideration, but nothing says you have to report someone else wrote the grant. If you didn't pay someone or don't want the reimbursement fees, then no need to put anything down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    Kurt/Brian/onebugle--any of you know whether requesting funding to reimburse grant writing fees reduces computer scores?? If it doesn't, it seems that it would at least make the cost/benefit a little tougher to score. earl
    I would go with the second thought of cost/benefit.

In my narratives I have the following:

The grant application and narrative are being prepared by fire department personnel, eliminating any costs associated with a grant writer.
    At least for the reviewer they will see that there are no additional costs associated with the grant proposal except for the equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt and Brian I am going to try to make one of your workshops. I hope you two noted that the comments were not directed to you two guys. I think attending one of your workshops will be very instrumental in applying for the grants. I hope to get to work with you two soon in the future.

Thanks for your help your help is some the best I have been reading on here.

Thread Information