Thread: Warning Sirens?

Forum Member

Default Warning Sirens?

Ok...Having a debate on our 2007 grant application as to going back for another attempt on a truck or completely retooling and looking at upgrading our storm/disaster siren network (updating? We don't have any save for the can on the watertower we use for fire calls) or perhaps looking at both. (I think really the guys just want to see where my grant writing breaking point exactly is)

Question I have is ...
    Has anyone ever seen grants that were written for these and where do they fall in the grand FEMA scheme of things? Are there certain criteria as far as the sirens themselves technically that have to be met? (I seem to remember someone saying once that they had to be a certain kind that could also be used to deliver voice messages as well) Are we better off looking elsewhere for funding for these? We at this point anticipate asking for at least three becasuse of geography and sound barriers (grain silos) that disect the area we need to cover.

Thanks...

MembersZone Subscriber

Might as well make another attempt at the vehicle.

Per the PG:

Sirens or other outdoor warning devices are not eligible.
    The guys will have to find something else to break you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I"m trying to find something myself, but I think it's going to have to be under disaster preperaton grants. Most mitigation grants I've found don't allow for warning sirens, but there's got to be something somewhere I'm thinking. Just need to find it. If I do, I'll be sure to post.

You might contact your county, or even state office of emergency management, and see if they have any ideas. I'm hitting a dead-end with ours so far, but still working on the state reps to see what I can find out. Maybe now that we've had a presidential disaster declaration for this ice storm, I can find more.

Forum Member

We looked and looked last year and couldnt find any grants for a siren. We decided to hold a fund raiser for a siren purchase only. We sent letters to all the businesses in our area and asked for donations. We went on the radio and local newspaper telling people what we were raising the money for. We then held a chicken BBQ for donations only. We raised over $18,000 in less than a month. We had the siren ordered, up, and in operation in less than six months. I think people tend to give more if you have a certain thing to purchase and it didnt hurt that an F3 tornado went through our area the year before. It was fresh on their minds.

Dwayne

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman8611 View Post
    We looked and looked last year and couldnt find any grants for a siren. We decided to hold a fund raiser for a siren purchase only. We sent letters to all the businesses in our area and asked for donations. We went on the radio and local newspaper telling people what we were raising the money for.
    Dwayne
    My local LEPC raised monies from the industries that are part of the LEPC for a siren for the industrial park first then the money left over is being used to place one near a major city park complex

Forum Member

Great ideas guys!
    Thanks...and knowing that I only have to deal with tweaking the truck grant helps loads, although I'm a little concerned that our fire prevention efforts which have reduced our runs over the last year may end up hurting us when it comes time to score our application based on the new guidelines.

Forum Member

I know you've heard me talk about it before, but what about CSEPP? I know not everyone has a chemical stockpile in your back yard, but if you're close to one then you might find some funding there, or if nothing else contact an outreach office and see if maybe they have replaced any equipment and they might have some older stuff lying around. Where's neiowa at? I wonder if there is anything available through FEPP? Its not new, but again, something is better than nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

I read a study a year or so ago that they conducted with todays modern homes and urbanized dwellers. because we now keep our windows closed almost all the time, out of crime concerns and the advent of CHA systems, they would not hear the siren at all. Those that did hear the siren, only 2% had a clue what it was for! or how to react That''s why they will fund NOAA alert radios but not the sirens.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    I read a study a year or so ago that they conducted with todays modern homes and urbanized dwellers. because we now keep our windows closed almost all the time, out of crime concerns and the advent of CHA systems, they would not hear the siren at all. Those that did hear the siren, only 2% had a clue what it was for! or how to react That''s why they will fund NOAA alert radios but not the sirens.

Ain't that the truth, last May I was 25 miles from home at my girlfriend's, cell phone rings and it's one of the City Councilmen I "work" for, he wants to know why the siren is going off I told him you better get yer dumazz off the phone and in the basement F2 passed about 2 miles north of town.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    A little unknown item - the sirens are called OUTDOOR warning sirens. For
    a reason. The coverage area is designed to warn people outside. As
    you point out, NOAA alert radios and such are for INSIDE warning.

And 2% may be generous........ Set them off and the dispatch
    center gets deluged "whats that noise"?

MembersZone Subscriber

Our 911 center is supposed to be installing a "reverse 911" system. I guess the theory is they can ring into a number of homes with a warning in regards to the situation.

Until then, it's the old way of doing it, sirens and PA.

Forum Member

Problem with the reverse 911 is the fact that many people are starting to do away with "land lines" and use their cell phones at home.
    My fulltime job is EMA here and I maintain the outdoor warning system, the "effective" range of our federal signal sirens are approximately 1 mile in all directions (they rotate) OUTDOORS. Not inside. That's a major downfall to the sirens, but at around $18,000 a piece, can you imagine what they would be if they were strong (loud) enough to warn people indoors?

We do a lot of PR to try and let people know what to do when the sirens go off, but we still get flooded with calls everytime they go off. It helps to have a good relationship with the local media (TV and Radio), so they know what to tell people when it goes off.

The grant funding for warning sirens comes through FEMA through your State EMA, but there isn't much there. Last year there was $2400 or $2600 available statewide in Kentucky for outdoor warning grants.
    Government is reactive, wait for a tornado that does a lot of damage and kills some people to hit and then you'll have more sirens than you know what to do with. Gotta love red tape.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by brianlowry View Post
    Problem with the reverse 911 is the fact that many people are starting to do away with "land lines" and use their cell phones at home.
    My fulltime job is EMA here and I maintain the outdoor warning system, the "effective" range of our federal signal sirens are approximately 1 mile in all directions (they rotate) OUTDOORS. Not inside. That's a major downfall to the sirens, but at around $18,000 a piece, can you imagine what they would be if they were strong (loud) enough to warn people indoors?
    1mi radius?? That's not a siren. This is a siren.

http://www.victorysiren.com/x/main.htm

I've never checked for DOD surplus sirens. .mil is generally not big on noise makers unless they go BOOOOOOM. I'll take a look though. Now engines that's easy. What kind of siren could you make with a 1200hp tank engine?

Thread Information