Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default USMC firefighting

i have a question and it may sound stupid but oh well. i am seriously considering joining and i wanted to know about firefighting MOS. I did some serching around on the internet and found MOS 8811, Firefighter. i just wanted to know if that is the same as the crash fire rescue or is that strictly a firefighter? also would that be hard to get into? that really wont discourage me at all i am still seriously considering joining. thanks.

Forum Member

You know there is a thread about this already, its about 3 below this one. PS, the USMC doesn't have structural FFs, well not atleast since I can remember. Structural guys are DoD civilians. I think the MOS you are looking for is 0311 which, are "firefighters" too. Just tell the recruiter thats what you want to do.
    Last edited by VinnieB; 02-22-2007 at 02:57 AM.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

MOS 8811 is a secondary MOS that has not been granted for some time. The only one used is 7051, Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting. While the 7051s get FF I & II in the academy, they perform structural duties rarely.

Jeez Vinnie, you don't quit. Don't you know that 0311 is practically a secondary MOS for 7051s now, since all the Iraq firefighting is being done by WSI? Other than FARPS and FOBs, not a whole lot of ARFF work available to us.

Forum Member

Yup...everyone wants to be like us! But....all still just POuGs!
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Yup...everyone wants to be like us! But....all still just POuGs!
    Wow..all those numbers. No wonder Marines walk around with blank confused stares all day. No one can figure out what number is what

Now in the Navy, we just like to keep it KISS by the scuttlebutt as we skylark and smoke and coke. Till we have to turn 2 and man our cleaning stations in the P-way with our cadallic and swab, so the XO can do the M&B check during D-1R in the head while rickey boxing (if you don't know, don't ask)

Wow, I feel dumber having remembered that.

I am a United States Janitor.
    I represent the cleaning spirit of the Navy and those
    who have cleaned before me to defend against dust and wax spills
    I proudly sweep my countrys P-ways
    with a FOXTAIL, DUSTPAN and COMMITTMENT
    I am committed to cleaning
    and to avoid any and all work for all!
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Nice post Doc...nothing like a good ol field day to bring out the fun and joys of the naval service.

Funny thing though is not much has changed even getting into the fire service. I said growing up I don't want to flip burgers for a living, follow a mop or broom for a living, wash cars for a living. Funny how Istill do all that today. Hey, I guess I did learn something valuable in the Navy.

Anyway...as for the original post...take a look into the Air Force for FF. They tend to have the best program out there and they use IFSTA qualifications. So much of those certification can reflect into the civilian world when you get out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hey

You aren't real firefighters anyway.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFFDSUCKS View Post
    33 posts, and not a good thing to say in any of them. You must be a joy to work with.

Forum Member

LOL, was thinking the same thing...

Last time I checked, no matter what branch, we fight for the same mission.

Just my two cents. I know AFFDSUCKS will reply, but he has his right to share his opinion!

Forum Member

......and you are?
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I have yet to be posted at or visit a Marine Corps Air Station where there has not been a Marine 7051 tasked out to the station structual fire department for a period of time. It provides the DoD guys with a liason since they are going to be headed to the airfield as well if any real emergency happens and gives the Devil Dogs a bit of variety to keep them from banging their heads against the wall. Don't expect to spend your Marine Corps career on the back step of the base ladder truck, but don't think that you will be stuck watching planes land all day for every day of your career either.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have never posted anything on here since I joined, but now I feel that I need to. I will try not to call "AFFDSUCKS" any names or threaten him, I will expect him to reply in the same manner.
    Now.....I have a few questions to ask you.
    Why would you say we are not real F/Fs?
    Isn't the description in the name?
    Have you ever worked as an ARFF in any branch of the military?
    I know that my beloved Marine Corps would break you of acting as you do.
    90% of all F/F have a very positive attitude, but as I was taught......There is always the nasty 10% who are S*!T Birds!....Are you one of these individuals.
    I say individual because I am sure you are not considered a team player. I really hope that the Fire Department you work for isn't looking to hire more "Real Firefighters" like you, because I would feel safer standing next to my own shadow during an emergency than standing next to a "REALFIREFIGHTER" Like you. I would love for you to come to my firehouse and tell all my fellow Marine Firefighters that they are not "Real Firefighters" I quarantee you would never fight a real fire again.

Gunny ,
    These are the guys who will be cleaning the bottom of the P-19A for the rest of their enlistment.

Reed
    Last edited by usmc2001; 04-18-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Permanently Removed

Semper Fi Teufelhunds

As a Marine Corp. Corporal that got out 6 months ago I was Crash Fire Rescue At MCAS Cherry Point NC. It was a great job. Yes the military has its quirks and its downfalls however the training and the experiances you will get are endless. I got out and have had numerous companys contact me and try to hire me. The way I see it, All that job searching and networking is for the birds. USMC CFR is the way to go. Oorah 7051

Forum Member

What is the USMC base in New Jersey they have a really nice fire department,
    there was a write up about it in Fire Engineering Mag a year or so ago. For a military fire dept it had some really nice equipment.

Forum Member

pastore, did you know a Marine by the name of Steblteon? I think he is an ARFF at Cherry Point

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 27Truckie View Post
    What is the USMC base in New Jersey they have a really nice fire department,
    there was a write up about it in Fire Engineering Mag a year or so ago. For a military fire dept it had some really nice equipment.
    That was probably NAS Lakehurst. No Marines there-other than exercises.

MembersZone Subscriber

how hard is it to get air crash rescue in the marines

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTFDWarrior View Post
    how hard is it to get air crash rescue in the marines
    I was told by the recruiter that they could guarantee me the job..., but take it with a grain of salt.

I'm really leaning towards this myself, but you need to be ready to be a marine first. Watch some videos on youtube of the fire dawgs, and it doesn't look too bad though...?

Forum Member

Default USMC base

Isn't there a NAS somewhere around DC that does nothing but rescue.. it's a research base or something.. i went to rescue school with a marine that was stationed there .. he was a pretty sharp cat.. but he said they did no ARFF (good for him.. i hate crash trash) and just focused on high angle and trench rescue.. just asking.

Forum Member

An active duty recruiter can guarantee you only the occupational field, not the MOS. The Occ field contains 3 jobs:
    7011, Expeditionary Airfield Tech-lays runway matting and lights
    7041, Airfield Operations Clerk-maintains records
    7051, Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting

The reserves can guarantee 7051, but they are available in only three units-Willowgrove, PA, Minneapolis, MN, and Miramar, CA.

Needs of the USMC dominate, if they are short of 7011s, you bomb the ASVAB, etc, you end up where they want you. I've seen many Marines who thought they were going to be ARFF until they were a week into the 7011 Course. 7011 course is at Pensacola,FL, 7051 at Goodfellow AFB in TX.

"Fire Dawg" is generally an Air Force term, be careful taking what you see from those vids and believing it is the USMC way.

Do a search, you'll see this has been addressed many times in this forum. watch out for VinnieB, he'll try to get you into the grunts. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Most importantly, don't join the USMC for firefighting. Do it if you want to be a Marine. The basic Marine skills trump the fire duty any day. Joining the Corps to be a firefighter would be a major mistake.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Isn't there a NAS somewhere around DC that does nothing but rescue.. it's a research base or something.. i went to rescue school with a marine that was stationed there .. he was a pretty sharp cat.. but he said they did no ARFF (good for him.. i hate crash trash) and just focused on high angle and trench rescue.. just asking.
    your talking about CBIRF. It's mainly a HAZMAT and CBRN unit that has Tech, Rescue capabilities. I was in the Army 911th En Co. (Technical Rescue). We mainly focused on tech. rescue but we had HAZMAT training.

Forum Member

CBIRF has about a platoon(-) of 7051s assigned for the tech rescue work. It is a 2-3 yr assignment, and usually only given to very sharp and motivated Marines. It is a very high speed, high stress tour. Plenty of training opportunities but also many late night recalls and exercises. Noone should expect to get there without pulling at least one "crash trash" tour, probably at Iwakuni or Okinawa, first.

Forum Member

My cousin finished boot camp Nov 1. His recruiter told him his MOS would be aircraft crash rescue. He is now in Pensacola doing ordinance loading, or something along those lines.

Recruiters job is to get you to join. They can't guarantee anything. He's not as happy, but he is happy.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information