Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Va Teenagers Restricted From

Using cell phones while driving legislation is "in"....

Bill Passes Va. House Barring Cell Phone Use By Teen Drivers
    Traffic Safety Advocates Back Bill

POSTED: 3:35 pm EST February 21, 2007
    UPDATED: 8:43 am EST February 22, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. -- The Virginia House of Delegates voted 86-10 Wednesday to pass legislation banning motorists under age 18 from using cell phones or other wireless telecommunications devices while driving.

Amendments added by a House committee must be approved by the Senate before the bill is sent to Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's desk. Kaine spokesman Kevin Hall said the governor, who prohibits his 17-year-old son Nat from using a cell phone while driving, believes the bill "may be an appropriate safety restriction for new drivers."

Fairfax Delegate Jay O'Brien, the father of four teenagers, said cell phones are a dangerous distraction for young motorists -- especially those virtually addicted to text-messaging their friends. His bill was strongly backed by traffic safety advocates.

Scott County Delegate Terry Kilgore spoke against the measure. He said the bill would prevent him and his wife from calling their teenage daughter to find out where she is and when she will be home.

Kilgore also said drivers must deal with other potential distractions, including playing the radio or reaching for a compact disc. But supporters of the bill said cell phones are a more pervasive distraction for teens.

"We're simply asking our young people 16 and 17 years old to give full attention to their driving," said Fairfax Delegate Timothy D. Hugo.

To illustrate the potential danger, he sent a text message from the House floor. He said that in the seven seconds it took him to punch in the message, a car traveling 60 miles an hour could cover the length of two football fields.

"That's 200 yards that a 16- or 17-year-old would not be watching the road," he said.

House passage of the bill was a breakthrough for O'Brien, who had successfully steered the legislation through the Senate the previous two years only to see it fail in the House.

The bill allows 16- and 17-year-old drivers to use their cell phone in an emergency, but they have to pull off the highway and park. It also allows for only secondary enforcement, which means police could issue a ticket only if the driver is stopped for another violation. The fine would be $50. {Mal-note: OK, this part sucks - whats the point if you don't enforce it directly?}

Supporters of the legislation cite statistics from the Department of Motor Vehicles and the Virginia Commonwealth University Transportation Safety Center showing 300 crashes involving 16- and 17-year-old drivers on cell phones in 2004 and 2005.

Thirteen states and the District of Columbia already bar cell phone use by teen drivers, according to O'Brien.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Why don't they do something like this federally? Why does it just have to be teenagers? Doesn't make sense to me. There was a little kid killed not to far from my house last year while he was getting off the bus. A lady (on her cell phone) went around the bus (with its reds flashing.. not to mention it's big, I don't know how you can miss it) and struck the little boy as he was stepping off. I have found statistics that show that these head sets don't do much better either. They say that head sets actually cause you more distraction. No one will ever change my opinion. CELL PHONES WHILE DRIVING SHOULD BE OUTLAWED.
    Adults make mistakes driving while talking on cell phones too. I'm living proof.
    I was in an accident almost 6 and a half years ago.
    My dad was driving. A lady coming towards us (on her cell phone) went left of center and we t-boned her. If I hadn't had my seat belt on, I wouldn't be here. Me and the lady was Lifeflighted and my dad was taken by ambulance. The seatbelt tore my stomach up (lost 6 inches of my intestine, had my appedix removed, had another 6 inches of my intestine repaired, and I was left lactose-intolerant). My dad's knee is messed up. He had a surgery to remove the miniscus. I don't know what happened to the lady.

My dad's friend from work travels around the coutry in an RV and he go so fed-up with people driving while talking on cell phones, he found a cell phone signal zapper. So if he sees you on you phone, he hits the button on the zapper and the zapper closes out all cell phone signals within 50 feet of his location. They cost like $400 though. Soon enough, they'll come down and I'll have one myself... hopefully.

Sorry for the long-winded response. This is my favorite topic to discuss with people.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

My dad's friend from work travels around the coutry in an RV and he go so fed-up with people driving while talking on cell phones, he found a cell phone signal zapper. So if he sees you on you phone, he hits the button on the zapper and the zapper closes out all cell phone signals within 50 feet of his location. They cost like $400 though. Soon enough, they'll come down and I'll have one myself... hopefully.

That is like a sign from Heaven. I actually want one that does more than cut the signal. I want my "zapper" to actually fry the circuit so that the guts of the phone have to be repaired. That way it will only affect the phone that actually in use - not those that are "at idle".
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    [/b]

That is like a sign from Heaven. I actually want one that does more than cut the signal. I want my "zapper" to actually fry the circuit so that the guts of the phone have to be repaired. That way it will only affect the phone that actually in use - not those that are "at idle".
    I like your thinking...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Talking

I want a zapper that takes the phone,car and the driver completely out. Beam me up Scotty!

Forum Member

How about a doohickey like on a drunk driver's car only it stops the engine from even turning over if it detects a cell phone transmission being made?That would confuse the oblivious cell phone user."Tiffany,I just don't know what Britney will do now that her hair is gone.I know.It doesn't do a thing for her.Oh damn,my car won't start.I have to ask Daddy to buy me one that won't do this only when I am on the phone...."
    And I agree,the restriction shouldn't just be on teenagers.If I had a dollar for everytime a wreck victim stated as we cut their car from around them"I don't know what happened.I was talking to my friend on the phone and..." I'd probably have ten or fifteen dollars.
    Last edited by doughesson; 02-22-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good thoughts.
    Ever think about patenting ideas?
    Firefighter/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Why don't they do something like this federally? Why does it just have to be teenagers? Doesn't make sense to me. There was a little kid killed not to far from my house last year while he was getting off the bus. A lady (on her cell phone) went around the bus (with its reds flashing.. not to mention it's big, I don't know how you can miss it) and struck the little boy as he was stepping off. I have found statistics that show that these head sets don't do much better either. They say that head sets actually cause you more distraction. No one will ever change my opinion. CELL PHONES WHILE DRIVING SHOULD BE OUTLAWED.
    Adults make mistakes driving while talking on cell phones too. I'm living proof.
    I was in an accident almost 6 and a half years ago.

Sorry for the long-winded response. This is my favorite topic to discuss with people.
    I view this as the opposite. I do not need ANY government to make a law to deal with something I as a parent should have control over. We definitly do NOT need the federal government in this.

I espically liked the law the Virginia legislator tried to pass a year or so ago. Banning low rise jeans!! The calender might say 2007, but as we ask the government to pass more and more laws that we as parents and people should handle, it looks more and more like "1984"
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Yeah, and the lady dialing 911 on the side of the road as you drove by, accidentally "disconnecting" her... She died 10 minutes ago after collapsing between her car and the guard rail.

Not only are those devices illegal, but you can get in LOTS of trouble for using them... And to be effective, there are so many cell bands in use that it's not as easy as just 'jamming a frequency' and disconnecting all phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    How about a doohickey like on a drunk driver's car only it stops the engine from even turning over if it detects a cell phone transmission being made?That would confuse the oblivious cell phone user."Tiffany,I just don't know what Britney will do now that her hair is gone.I know.It doesn't do a thing for her.Oh damn,my car won't start.I have to ask Daddy to buy me one that won't do this only when I am on the phone...."
    And I agree,the restriction shouldn't just be on teenagers.If I had a dollar for everytime a wreck victim stated as we cut their car from around them"I don't know what happened.I was talking to my friend on the phone and..." I'd probably have ten or fifteen dollars.
    That idea won't work....

Cell phones don't transmit / receive when only making a call... They are in constant communication with the towers... adjusting TX power, channels, tower association, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down And.................

Why just Cellphones? and why just Teenagers? Ban cellphone use by the DRIVER of a motor vehicle. Period. Almost every state has a line somewhere in the traffic laws that states "A Driver must give full time and attention while operating a motor vehicle". You are NOT giving full time and attention to Driving if you are doing ANYTHING besides driving. Yesterday, a guy pulled up next to me at a traffic light, and was doing something on a laptop that was setting on the console of his SUV. Stupid.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Yesterday, a guy pulled up next to me at a traffic light, and was doing something on a laptop that was setting on the console of his SUV. Stupid.

Chief, not trying to poke holes in your argument because I essentially agree with you, but.... Whats the difference between the driver you saw, and the cop trying to work his CAD? As I say... not trying to poke holes.

Harve?????

You are talking logic when it comes to making sensible laws?

Even I know that that right there is not going to happen.

Just get them ready and tell the victims...

This is going to HURST.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

he found a cell phone signal zapper.
    That's fine until somebody sics the FCC on him and they fine him heavily.

Yes, his "zapper" is highly illegal. (Not that I can't imagine 1001 uses for it... )
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal
    That's fine until somebody sics the FCC on him and they fine him heavily.

Yes, his "zapper" is highly illegal. (Not that I can't imagine 1001 uses for it... )
    I don't doubt they're illegal. I just love the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Why just Cellphones? and why just Teenagers? Ban cellphone use by the DRIVER of a motor vehicle. Period. Almost every state has a line somewhere in the traffic laws that states "A Driver must give full time and attention while operating a motor vehicle". You are NOT giving full time and attention to Driving if you are doing ANYTHING besides driving. Yesterday, a guy pulled up next to me at a traffic light, and was doing something on a laptop that was setting on the console of his SUV. Stupid.
    I travel to Pennsylvania a lot. I've seen people DRIVING while reading magazines, newpapers, Bibles, huge/thick books. I've seen people DRIVING while watching the portable DVD players (they have it up on the dash right infront of them). I don't know how they do it. It's amazing what these people attempt to pull off.

Next time you're on the highway or the turnpike, and you're not driving, pay attention to what the DRIVERS do. I bet I see atleast one or two of these people eveytime my family is traveling.
    Firefighter/EMT

Best way to "Driver-watch" is from a tour bus or tractor/trailer. Better height and visibility. The reports of stuff my dad has seen from the cab of his truck...... California has some... umm... interesting scenery.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Almost every state has a line somewhere in the traffic laws that states "A Driver must give full time and attention while operating a motor vehicle". You are NOT giving full time and attention to Driving if you are doing ANYTHING besides driving.
    Tennessee,or maybe just Memphis,has or used to have a little filip to the law about "Failure to maintain proper lookout".I wonder if that charge is still even on the ticket sheet.
    In the year I've been back to Tennessee,I don't recall ever hearing a news report of a wreck with the words"The driver at fault was cited for failure to maintain a proper lookout."

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Tennessee,or maybe just Memphis,has or used to have a little filip to the law about "Failure to maintain proper lookout".I wonder if that charge is still even on the ticket sheet.
    In the year I've been back to Tennessee,I don't recall ever hearing a news report of a wreck with the words"The driver at fault was cited for failure to maintain a proper lookout."
    "Maintain a proper lookout". Does this mean that the driver is expected to have a passenger on each side of the vehicle, with their heads stuck out the side windows, "looking out"?

I can hear it now:

"Doug, blue Chevy Tahoe with big red stripe, on the port stern quarter, coming up fast. His right turn signal is blinking."

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

I totally agree that Drive inattention is a problem, but I don't see a reason for another law. It's already covered under ones we've got. As the Chief said most of them say something about full attention while driving.
    The law says you must pay attention, it shouldn't try to define all the ways for you NOT to pay attention, the list is endless. Today it's Cell phones and teenagers. What about Ipods? Sidekicks? Treos? Two cans with a really long string? Rules like this shouldn't be specific to the technology or age or else we'll constantly have to rewrite/append create new ones.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Ok. That didnt take too long to find this one again.

New Va. Traffic Laws Take Effect July 1
    Age Change For Children Sitting In Booster Seats

POSTED: 6:38 am EDT June 29, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:43 am EDT June 29, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. -- It will be against the law for Virginia drivers younger than 18 years old to drive a car while talking on a cell phone starting July 1, even if the device is considered to be hands-free.

The new law also prohibits text-messaging while driving.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Commissioner D.B. Smit said, "Teenage drivers have enough to worry about. If we can cut down on the distractions for a teen driver, the results can only be positive."

According to the DMV's Web site, all Virginia drivers under the age of 18 are issued provisional driver's licenses that carry other limitations, such as restrictions on the number of passengers and driver curfews.

Also starting Sunday are new age requirements for children to be secured in booster seats. Children will be required to be properly restrained until they are 8 years old.

Currently, the law requires a child safety seat for children through the age of 5.

The new law also requires rear-facing child seats be placed only in the back seat of a vehicle. However, if the vehicle does not have a back seat, the rear-facing child seat can be placed in the front passenger seat, but the airbag has to be deactivated or not present.

The DMV's Web Site states that booster seats raise children so that safety belt fits correctly and can better protect the child. "The shoulder belt should cross the child's chest and rest snugly on the shoulder, and the lap belt should rest low across the pelvis or hip area, never across the stomach area," the site states.

The booster seat law is waived if a child's physician determines the use of a restraint system to be impractical due to the child's weight, physical fitness or any other medical reason. The driver will have to carry a signed written statement by the physician explaining the reason for the recommended exemption.

And registration fees for passenger vehicles and pick-up trucks will increase $10 statewide. The standard passenger vehicle registration will increase from $29.50 annually to $39.50 annually. Registration fees for passenger vehicles weighing more than 4,000 pounds will increase from $34.50 to $44.50.

Previous Story:
    June 28, 2007: New Va. Driving Laws To Soon Take Effect

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.

Thread Information