MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boobie Traps.....

hey everyone. so today we get toned out to a posible structure fire. we arrive on scene and see heavy smoke coming from the backyard area of this house. well what it turned out to be was a VERY large shedlike structure on fire.(no, it was not a barn, but more of a large wooden shed) se anyways, its pretty much gone by the time we get there. so i am over on the charlie/delta corner with a hoseline. ive been standing there for about 5 mins. just about then the owner showed up. i saw him point over to where i was standing, and our engine captain made a mad dash to where i was standing. he pulled me away from the spot i was standing and told the other firefighters to stay where they were. he then told me that the owner had dug, about two feet from where i was standing, a larg pit with about a dozen or so metal spikes in the bottem of the pit. the owner said he had this in place because people had been breaking into his shed. so basically if i had stepped two more feet to my right i would have gone right into that pit, which would not have been a good thing. we found out that the guy was retired army special forces and knew how to build boobie traps. he had built this pit so well that i could not tell it was there from two feet away.
    so have any of you ever dealt with a situation where there were boobie traps or anything of the sort? just be careful out there, you never know what your geting yourself into.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Had a captain put his foot through the plywood cover over a septic tank one night...went through up to his crotch. Does that count?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Had a captain put his foot through the plywood cover over a septic tank one night...went through up to his crotch. Does that count?
    No it doesn't. That was a "poopie trap", not a "boobie trap".

Don't you know the difference?
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

IACOJ BOD

Yup.

That was my first wife, LARGE boobie trap.

On a lighter note.

There are some things you can worry about, some things you will never know, and the rest is just experience or luck.

This time was luck more than anything.

Don't sweat the small stuff, or the big boobies will get ya.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Traps have been well-documented at meth labs, although some stories suggest urban legend. I have witnessed only one such trap, boards with nails sticking up that had been hidden in the grass around a shed that was used for cooking meth.

I generally become concerned about traps only when responding to calls where we know of or are alerted to the possibility of criminal activity. Fortunately, that's not very often.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

I hope you notified the PD. Whether or not arrests were made would depend on how he reacted to being told he couldn't set traps in his yard...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

back in the crack war days in the late 80's and 90's in NYC, the drug dealers would cut away the floor and place a rug over it, also the old pitbull with no voice box trick, or the never forgotten floor cutout in front of the window with the fire escape. Of course these were generally all done in vacant buildings where one would not be as agressive to begin with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    I hope you notified the PD. Whether or not arrests were made would depend on how he reacted to being told he couldn't set traps in his yard...
    I would agree with you 100%, LE needs to know.

I've seen/experienced my share of traps related to meth labs. They've ranged from tripwires with spring-loaded spikes, shotguns pointed at the door, even a pipe bomb that had contacts under a plank on the hardwood floor and the other contact on a stud. The plank was warped just enough there was airspace between the contacts, until you stepped on it. Most have been assisting LEOs, while a couple have been fire-related incidents. Of course, we usually have a good idea where the "suspected" labs are, so we're usually defensive from a distance.

Forum Member

we get the odd boobie trap over here but we get more and more ambushes more often...burn a car out in a cul de sac and lead us in....they then pull another car in behind us burn that one aswell blocking us in...then its party time....get the full battle dress on yea and pump up the pressure on the branch....target practise till the cops get there
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    back in the crack war days in the late 80's and 90's in NYC, the drug dealers would cut away the floor and place a rug over it, also the old pitbull with no voice box trick, or the never forgotten floor cutout in front of the window with the fire escape. Of course these were generally all done in vacant buildings where one would not be as agressive to begin with.
    Or human feces in buckets when a window was opened, used needles spread out on the floor....

Here in Virginia, we've run into a few Meth labs. Thankfully the only redneck booby traps are Nascar pits and big dogs an shotguns.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

Booby traps are quite common over here...

Cannabis and Meth factories in houses

Elevator Motor rooms at the top of Blocks of Flats, booby trapped because they use them as pirate radio Stations...we are always there for Persons shut in lift (elevator) calls

General booby traps to catch out Fire Crews...gas cylinders placed in burning cars, needles and razor blades on floors/doors etc, petrol laden containers in burning buildings... all in a days work for the UK Ff.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

That's a close call if I do say so myself, when I took a course on clandestine drug labs, the statistics for known labs over the years has been growing practically exponentially, and it's making its way over to my back country neck of the woods. I have certainly taken more time to be more attentive to potential scenarios with "toe poppers" and pits and the like.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post

Even before the crack epidemic, during the war years of the 60's and 70's kids used to fill up balloons with a little bit of gasoline inside and when the room got hot enough they would burst and go everywhere.

Others would string piano wire at different heights around an apartment and the brothers would get caught or cut when crawling around.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not actual booby traps but did find lwhat looked like ive grenades and what looked to be pipe bombs at a structure fire we assisted with. Resident mentally unstable and had military history if I remember correctly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not too far from me before I moved, a guy was having trouble with people breaking into his hunting cabin and stealing supplies. Practically no law enforcement presence so he took matters into his own hands. He rigged a shotgun to the door, and sure enough it worked. Problem was, he ended up injuring a family member who didn't know about the trap. Wasn't fatal, but the guy was in big trouble with the law.

Sucks, but traps could be anywhere and you can't really prepare for them all. Sometimes you just roll the dice the wrong way...
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

At least he let the Captain know of the hazard. I doubt that he would have wanted to test his handiwork out on you.
    IAFF

Thread Information