Forum Member

Angry Fired FF in NC! WHAT!?!?

I just read the most disturbing article on firefighterclosecalls.com! I have copied it so you all can see the stupidity of the politicians who are running small town America! If I were a violent man, I would have half a notion to drive to NC to give a politician the slappin he deserves for ruining a young brother! And on the drive back, stopping by Knoxville, TN (read their story also on ffcc.com) and giving them "a hand" as well! What a joke these people are! Nobody can stop them unless we do it ourselves for our Brothers!

ANOTHER LIVE FIRE "TRAINING" MISHAP - FF FIRED - NORTH CAROLINA
    Thursday, February 22, 2007
    KNIGHTDALE — Jason Bellissimo loves firefighting. The Garner volunteer firefighter thought he had his dream job. He was hired as a full time paid staffer at the Eastern Wake Fire and Rescue six months ago.

So he sold his truck and his motorcycle and planned to cut back to make it on the salary – half the wages he earned as a truck driver and planned to live out his dream.

Now disheartened and disillusioned, Jason Bellissimo talks about the department that fired him Jan 16, three days after he said he refused to participate in an illegal fire training burn that the department was later cited for.

Chief George Gupton confirmed two firings at his department, but said it was a personnel matter and refused to comment, referring to board chairman Billy Myrick.

Myrick said the two firings were not related to the burn of a rental house he owns at Hodge and Leonard Roads. It was partially burned after it caught fire about a month ago and later burned in a training exercise without proper permitting. Myrick said the chief asked him if he could burn the house the rest of the way down as a training mission and he agreed.

“I was on the shift the night it was happening,” said Bellissimo, who was let go along with Michael Allen Beach. “I knew that you have to have certain permits to do a burn and I voiced my opinion about it. I said, ‘This is illegal and I’m not taking part of this activity because it’s illegal.’ When we went to the house, I would not get off the engine. I refused to take part.”

The N.C. Division of Air Quality notified the Eastern Wake Fire Department that a house they burned at Jan. 12 at the corner of Hodge and Leonard Roads was done without first completing the division’s air quality fire training approval form. The notice says that if the office receives any more complaints, the department could be fined up to $10,000 a day for any violations documented against it.

State law requires that firefighters hire an expert to examine the building for asbestos and other harmful substances to obtain a permit for the burn, said Tom Harris, an environmental technician with the division.
    On the night Jan. 12, that had not happened.

Bellissimo said he was on a fire call four days later at 11:30 Tuesday night when his captain told him he had been called to the main office.“The whole board was there,” he said. “Billy Myrick and the chief were the ones who talked. They told me to pack up myself and go home…The chief said he didn’t have a problem with me, it was the board. The only person I know is Billy Myrick. The chain of events to me is a little funny. Why would they wait until 11:30 at night and pull me off a fire scene?”

Bellissimo said he asked why he was fired and he was told by Myrick that he didn’t fit in. He said up until then, he had received no complaints about his work and that he had never been disciplined for any matters.

Michael Allen Beach, the other full-time paid firefighter who was let go, is talking to attorneys and will not comment on the matter. The Eastern Wake Fire Department has both volunteer and paid firefighters.

Bellissimo said the experience at Eastern Wake had soured him on full-time firefighting services and he questioned whether he would try to come back at another department.

“I don’t think I’m going to try again,” he said. “That was my first full-time fire service job. The stuff they don’t do there, makes me not want to join the fire service full time. It put a real bad taste in my mouth. I know it’s not all fire departments. I love Garner. I was warned before I filled out my application about that place and I don’t pass judgment, but I should have. There’s a whole bunch of stuff that we should have been doing that we don’t, like training.”

Bellissimo said he tried to get a few hours off a week to get his Emergency Medical Technician certification through Wake Technical College, but was told it was too much time away from the job.
    “I asked about training. I said let’s train and I did not get the training I wanted,” said Bellissimo. “They cared more about maintenance than training.”

Bellissimo said during his time as a staffer he painted plumbing vents on the ceiling and did a lot of ground maintenance, but got no training. He said firefighters redid the landscaping at the fire station and that he was away from the station hauling better soil for the lawn from one of Myrick’s subdivisions under construction.

“I was out driving Billy Myrick’s dump truck and track loader to do the landscaping. If we would have had a structure fire or anything of that nature, I would have been out driving back and forth. While I was on duty, I should have been at the station.” Bellissimo said he can’t afford an attorney and can’t find one to take the case pro bono.

Bellissimo did say he has a job again – his former employer took him back and he’s driving a truck for a living again. He doesn’t need to be out of work, he said. His wife is pregnant and the baby is due next month.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default discussed

check out here it's been discussed http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=87535

Forum Member

Again another instance of "us and them"....they havnt got a clue and thats why they wear the suits and we wear the gear...i wish that brother all the best for the future !
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Forum Member

Lightbulb Thanks!

I must have missed this thread totally! I just saw it and made me mad so I posted. Sorry! Take care Brothers!

Forum Member

Gotta love those "Right to Work States!!!" Thank god for the IAFF!!! This could never happen in the north!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nmfd615 View Post
    I have copied it so you all can see the stupidity of the politicians who are running small town America!

By the way, this is limited to the small towns. It goes all the way up the political spectrum. Let's face it, the people who get elected to office are not the best qualified, they merely through the best BS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    By the way, this is limited to the small towns. It goes all the way up the political spectrum. Let's face it, the people who get elected to office are not the best qualified, they merely through the best BS.
    Surely, you meant to say it is NOT limited to small towns?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Surely, you meant to say it is NOT limited to small towns?
    Ah yes, what a difference one little word makes.

Forum Member

Default Careful!

Then again, you should not believe everything you read. Lot more to this story than what you have read!

Thread Information