Thread: Rit/mayday.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Rit/mayday.....

hey everyone. this is something that i seriously need help on and i would appreciate any help i can get. i have to put together a presentation to the board and members in our next meeting on this and make proclamations on policy changes.
    currently my department does not have in our SOP's the procedures for setting up a RIT team, when to set up a RIT team, when to deploy a RIT team, or what tools to use.
    i am with a volunteer department. so at some fires we may only have 5 people. or some fires we have have 15 people. so i need something to tell these people on when the proper times ae to form a RIT team and how to deploy them. also........
    what kind of training can be done to train firefighters on RIT? also....
    i am going to make a proclomation to hold training on when to call a MAYDAY, what to do when you call a MAYDAY, and the procedures that should be taken by incident command and firefighters. i really need input on this because these are serious i feel needs to be taken care of. thanks everyone. stay safe.

Forum Member

IMMINENT COLLAPSE
    COLLAPSE OCCURED
    UNCONSCIOUS MEMBER
    MISSING MEMBER
    LOST MEMBER

ALL REASONS TO TRANSMIT A MAYDAY, THE LIST IS NOT COMPLETE WITH JUST THAT, BUT ITS WHAT WE USE AT WORK.

Also do not forget osha 2 in 2 out. One should also have at least an additional 2-4 members as RIT that are trained in the ways to remove a member.

I think the best and fastest way is to:

1. Make the scba a harness, do this by taking the waist straps and running them through the legs of the down member.
    2. Tighten shoulder straps and tie excess into a knot to prevent it from slipping apart.
    3. position members in front and rear of down member and remove them.

This is basic, it is much more eleborate.

I personally think that taking two hooks (pike poles if you will) and running them through the shoulder straps and hanging members legs onto them and then moving on out.

All things I hope no one here never has to do!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    hey everyone. this is something that i seriously need help on and i would appreciate any help i can get. i have to put together a presentation to the board and members in our next meeting on this and make proclamations on policy changes.
    currently my department does not have in our SOP's the procedures for setting up a RIT team, when to set up a RIT team, when to deploy a RIT team, or what tools to use.
    i am with a volunteer department. so at some fires we may only have 5 people. or some fires we have have 15 people. so i need something to tell these people on when the proper times ae to form a RIT team and how to deploy them. also........
    what kind of training can be done to train firefighters on RIT? also....
    i am going to make a proclomation to hold training on when to call a MAYDAY, what to do when you call a MAYDAY, and the procedures that should be taken by incident command and firefighters. i really need input on this because these are serious i feel needs to be taken care of. thanks everyone. stay safe.

When to form? Anytime a one or more firefighters are moving into a IDLH enviornment. Be it a major Haz-Mat, a fire, or other form of speciality rescue.

Training and tools? Well that is what is going to work best for you and what you have. If your SCBA's have buddy breathing hookups or quick refill I'd bring one to hook into. Other than that, and this is just off the top of my head here:

2 hooks
    set of irons
    wedges
    webbing and carabiners
    maul
    Sawzall and blades
    wire cutters
    TIC
    and most importantly...this even has to be mentioned in this "modern" era...
    A RADIO!!!!

Training wise? The Denver drill would be a good place to start. Teach and pratice handcuff hitches. Single and two man drags.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

http://www.ofc1.org/pdfsogs/FAST%20Response.pdf Our SOP for FAST. By the way, we don't have enough people available on the fireground to form our own FAST, we rely on a mutual aid company. And we have pretty good turnout for a vol department.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

For SOP and training resources, you might also try VCOS and TRADENet. Citing OSHA and NFPA (I think it's 1500 that deals with RIT) can't hurt, either. Maybe someone can help me, but didn't someone just send out a free "Calling the Mayday" DVD recently? I'm trying to find mine and who did it, perhaps there's a way to still get it.

Something I'm working on with my county may be an idea you may be interested in looking at as well. All but one department in the county is vollie, and all of them have manpower issues. What I'm trying to do is get several departments trained and equipped as RITs. When there's a structure fire, the RIT is dispatched automatically. Done right, we can have a RIT within about 10 minutes of any fire. Ideally, every department would be RIT equipped and trained and the next in agency establishes the RIT if the jursidiction doesn't have the manpower, but I've got a long way of convincing a bunch of old, "we've never needed it before" chiefs to get my idea off the drawing board and have more teams than just our department.
    Last edited by Catch22; 02-23-2007 at 04:22 PM.

theres a short video here from this website

http://www.firehouse.com/videocenter/

(its the one that says mayday maday)

MembersZone Subscriber

Good start in teaching members when to declare a MAYDAY. As far as getting members out and searching, Johnnyirons was right, keep ti simple. When the crap it's the fan your not going to have time to make all kinds of exotic harnesses and devices to get your brother out. Find him and get him out. Practice different methods and pick something that works for you. You stated that your limited to manpower, so stay in thoses parameters. There are lot's of good ideas out there, just make sure to adapt them to your needs. If you don't have enough manpower and rely on mutaual aid, make sure that they know and are training on RIT situations. You can have all the so call RIT teams standing by but if they're not trained in assisting a down member what good are they.
    Good luck, your headed in the right direction in making sure your brothers good home safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=slasar1;776707] If you don't have enough manpower and rely on mutaual aid, make sure that they know and are training on RIT situations. You can have all the so call RIT teams standing by but if they're not trained in assisting a down member what good are they.
    QUOTE]

I agree if you only have 5 people on scene or even 15 you'll need to get your neighboring fd's involved in the RIT process and train together so everyone is on the same page.That way if need be you could pull lets say 2 mutual aid ff from one dept, and 2 from another to get your team formed.Hope evey thing works out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Email me and I can give you a copy of our SOG in Word format.

dickeydo@charter.net
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information